The MSC Seaside 'difference'?

DAJedu

I keep seeing people make statements that those who have cruised with other lines need to be open to change and realize that MSC does things 'different'. I have also seen people post about the 'European way'.

Can someone clarify for me what these differences are? I am one of those folks on the verge of canceling and part of the reason is not understanding what MSC is going for with Seaside. In what ways does my mind need to be open to truly understand the MSC Seaside experience? What fundamental differences from Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, and Carnival should I be prepared to experience?

I think these sort of vague terms being clarified would help me make a better decision. I have stalked MSC's website trying to find answers and I can't, which is why I am asking other customers.

I will say that if one has taken cruises in Europe as we have, it makes the "experience" easier to understand. MSC doesn't cater solely to what or who Carnival or Royal has in mind as typical U.S. passengers. I know what to expect both ways. MSC is going to have a more diverse group of passengers from multiple countries. You'll have cultural and language aspects. Entertainment may be different, food, coffee and tea, dining lengths can all vary because of how many in Europe do things. Coming to the dining room on Carnival in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, scarfing down your food in 15 minutes and running out isn't the way it's done in a lot of other countries and I think MSC is trying to find a happy medium to make all guests from all over the world happy and comfortable.

I will say that if one has taken cruises in Europe as we have, it makes the "experience" easier to understand. MSC doesn't cater solely to what or who Carnival or Royal has in mind as typical U.S. passengers. I know what to expect both ways. MSC is going to have a more diverse group of passengers from multiple countries. You'll have cultural and language aspects. Entertainment may be different, food, coffee and tea, dining lengths can all vary because of how many in Europe do things. Coming to the dining room on Carnival in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, scarfing down your food in 15 minutes and running out isn't the way it's done in a lot of other countries and I think MSC is trying to find a happy medium to make all guests from all over the world happy and comfortable.

Hmm, that is interesting. I have done 21 cruises total between Carnival, Royal, and NCL and have had zero 15 minute dining room experiences. In fact, MDR eating times are typically between one and two hours every day for all of my MDR experiences on all former cruises. So, is MSC using a stereotype of the American experience (i.e. scarfing down food in 15 minutes) or are they doing something different than is actually done of other cruise lines?

I know Royal has a 'no shots in dining room' policy. Does MSC require dressing up or is it pretty much a similar policy to Royal Caribbean?

Also, you note that they don't cater to what the 'typical cruise passenger' has in mind. Okay, what is it that they cater to? What do they have in mind?

To be fair I didn't "scarf" my food during my 90+ minute dinners on NCL, but I didn't experience any language barriers with the waitstaff and there was never any problems having beverages replenished.

Though I don't think that's "Europen" experience either.

I think that's "new ship" problem.

Which is where I'll step in to address OP.

OP - I think the concerns about MSC are less about "European experience" and more about new ship or poorly prepared ship. People rave about Divina and I don't see lists of concerns that travelers aren't adjusting to a "new style" on that ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hmm, that is interesting. I have done 21 cruises total between Carnival, Royal, and NCL and have had zero 15 minute dining room experiences. In fact, MDR eating times are typically between one and two hours every day for all of my MDR experiences on all former cruises. So, is MSC using a stereotype of the American experience (i.e. scarfing down food in 15 minutes) or are they doing something different than is actually done of other cruise lines?

I know Royal has a 'no shots in dining room' policy. Does MSC require dressing up or is it pretty much a similar policy to Royal Caribbean?

Also, you note that they don't cater to what the 'typical cruise passenger' has in mind. Okay, what is it that they cater to? What do they have in mind?

Just curious, have you cruised in Europe? Don't take the 15 minute thing literally. It pertains to the people who have been complaining that the MDR experience has taken two hours. This is not what they are used to but what is common in Europe. MSC has kind of contradicted themselves when they talk about the MSC experience and then stating that Seaside will cater to more of an Americanized cruise that Americans have grown accustomed to. Which is it? Sort of talking out of both sides of their mouth. I tend to think that MSC will have a more elegant feel to it vs. the hairy chest belly flop contest feel that you'd get on Carnival. Read that tuxes are very common on MSC on elegant nights and have pretty much gone to the wayside on American lines. I've sailed on Carnival, Royal, NCL, Holland America, Princess, and I know what kind of experience seperates them all albeit small.

Just curious, have you cruised in Europe? Don't take the 15 minute thing literally. It pertains to the people who have been complaining that the MDR experience has taken two hours. This is not what they are used to but what is common in Europe. MSC has kind of contradicted themselves when they talk about the MSC experience and then stating that Seaside will cater to more of an Americanized cruise that Americans have grown accustomed to. Which is it? Sort of talking out of both sides of their mouth. I tend to think that MSC will have a more elegant feel to it vs. the hairy chest belly flop contest feel that you'd get on Carnival. Read that tuxes are very common on MSC on elegant nights and have pretty much gone to the wayside on American lines. I've sailed on Carnival, Royal, NCL, Holland America, Princess, and I know what kind of experience seperates them all albeit small.

I am scheduled for my first European cruise for 2019, but will be sailing on Viking.

I wonder how MSC is communicating this 'elegant feel' to customers so they will know they are expected to wear a Tux.

I kind of wonder if this issue is more about MSC not really knowing how to translate what they want to the American market. I saw the same thing with Aldi grocery stores. I hear they are considered a more traditional grocery store in their home market. However, in the US market - they are pretty equivalent to the Dollar General; at least in my part of the USA. I kind of get that same vibe from the reviews I have seen.

I love the chocolates that are sold at Aldi and it is the only reason I go inside one of their stores. Most of the folks shopping there are looking for a bargain. They have been trying desperately to upgrade their image in my local market, but I don't know if they could ever be seen as a Whole Foods or even lower priced Earth Fare shopping experience. They planted their flag squarely in the 'discount' category, especially in the actual shopping experience. You have to 'rent' a shopping cart, bring your own bags, and there is zero customer service besides the cashier. Very different than my local grocery stores where they have baggers, people that actually take your groceries to your car, as well as people walking around cleaning the stores during the day. Delis, fresh baked goods, and family meals are common in all but the discount stores around here, Aldi has none of those things. But, apparently Aldi is considered a more middle of the road type shopping experience in its own local market and is known for quality. When I hear Seaside described as 'more elegant' it is quite shocking. Especially with the room tours that I have seen thus far; definitely not something I would consider 'elegant', even for the lower priced family market.

I am scheduled for my first European cruise for 2019, but will be sailing on Viking.

I wonder how MSC is communicating this 'elegant feel' to customers so they will know they are expected to wear a Tux.

I kind of wonder if this issue is more about MSC not really knowing how to translate what they want to the American market. I saw the same thing with Aldi grocery stores. I hear they are considered a more traditional grocery store in their home market. However, in the US market - they are pretty equivalent to the Dollar General; at least in my part of the USA. I kind of get that same vibe from the reviews I have seen.

I love the chocolates that are sold at Aldi and it is the only reason I go inside one of their stores. Most of the folks shopping there are looking for a bargain. They have been trying desperately to upgrade their image in my local market, but I don't know if they could ever be seen as a Whole Foods or even lower priced Earth Fare shopping experience. They planted their flag squarely in the 'discount' category, especially in the actual shopping experience. You have to 'rent' a shopping cart, bring your own bags, and there is zero customer service besides the cashier. Very different than my local grocery stores where they have baggers, people that actually take your groceries to your car, as well as people walking around cleaning the stores during the day. Delis, fresh baked goods, and family meals are common in all but the discount stores around here, Aldi has none of those things. But, apparently Aldi is considered a more middle of the road type shopping experience in its own local market and is known for quality. When I hear Seaside described as 'more elegant' it is quite shocking. Especially with the room tours that I have seen thus far; definitely not something I would consider 'elegant', even for the lower priced family market.

All good points.... You hit the likely problem square on....No one knows what to expect...They all have certain expectations. MSC has not been clear nor communicative ....I can live with the "new ship/new staff get acquainted with ship thing (for a month or two).... but it appears the problems lie deeper. You don't build a brand this way.

Well, I suppose elegance or an experience is a matter of experience or opinion. I can tell you based on the pictures that the Seaside atrium with Swarovski crystal staircases and dining room are more elegant than anything on the new Carnival Vista so no "communicating " is really required to notice. I mean, Carnival claims to be the "fun ships" but some people's idea of fun may differ .......

I was a little confused about that, too, namely whether they wanted an Americanized cruise or not. Then I read some articles and here is an excerpt from Pierfrancesco Vaga, MSC’s executive for cruises:

“In contrast to the U.S.-based brands sailing out of Florida to the Caribbean, Seaside will offer a more international experience, in keeping with the company's European roots and global customer base, Vago suggests. The company last year drew customers from 193 countries, he says.”

So it kind of sounds like they do want the Seaside to bring more of a European type of cruise to the American market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To me MSC was more formal. Not in a stuffy, rude way, but I thought there was a larger proportion of well-dressed/groomed guests than I've seen on other cruises. The dining time wasn't any longer than on DCL. Lots of families doing things together, as someone else mentioned on a Seaside review I read today. Very clean ship, great food, and I found the portions larger than I would normally eat. Just a heads up...the food seems to be less processed than other ships. My husband and I both commented that we ate the meals, then didn't snack as we've done on other cruises. I didn't even try the included gelato. Spa services nice, and a simple "no" was enough to stop the end of massage sales pitch. As I said in my Divina review the cruise was like two vacations in one...a cruise and a trip to Italy.

I was a little confused about that, too, namely whether they wanted an Americanized cruise or not. Then I read some articles and here is an excerpt from Pierfrancesco Vaga, MSC’s executive for cruises:

“In contrast to the U.S.-based brands sailing out of Florida to the Caribbean, Seaside will offer a more international experience, in keeping with the company's European roots and global customer base, Vago suggests. The company last year drew customers from 193 countries, he says.”

So it kind of sounds like they do want the Seaside to bring more of a European type of cruise to the American market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ahh.... More confusing communication.....Take a read from a portion of a USA Today article. different person...different message. And we wonder why there is so much bickering going on pro/con.... and I quote “We know what North American guests are looking for, and we deliver,” Really????? Sounds like the Executive Chairman and President need to share their talking notes

Pierfrancesco Vago, executive chairman at MSC, said that currently with just the MSC Divina offering weekly departures from Miami, that only 40% to 50% of passengers are sourced in North America.

With the arrival of Seaside, Vago said, MSC hopes to boost that number to 80%.

Geneva-based MSC has 12 ships, with deployment ranging from South America to the Middle East to South Africa to China, but mainly in the Mediterranean.

MSC is spending $12 billion to triple its capacity by 2026. “This is what has allowed us to have the tonnage to finally serve the North American market,” Vago said.

MSC President Gianni Onorato said U.S. cruise passengers no longer are an afterthought for the brand, but an essential market. “We know what North American guests are looking for, and we deliver,” Onorato said.

And to me, ALDI is a delightful break from large grocery stores. I've been shopping at ALDI since 2001 and live in Wegmans native city. I go into Wegmans once a month for a few keys items (cereals, frozen veggies, ground beef and chicken breasts) and get the rest of the food at ALDI. Their store is so simple and free from all those add-ons and up-sells. I just want food! Not only is their chocolate amazing but we love their cheeses, chips, and produce. Basics like flour, canned tomatoes, and boxed pastas are cheaper but indistinguishable from their Wegmans counterparts - except for the price tag. But as you said - very little customer interaction. Wegmans needs the bells and whistles to justify/balance the higher prices.

If MSC wanted to be an ALDI I'd be all for it. And I'm not saying never MSC. I have just learned a valuable lesson for my family. We can't experiment with a new line/new ship for what we want in a product. We don't want surprises.

I just think people are using the excuse "you must not be ready for European experience" to downplay any concerns people have.

And to me' date=' ALDI is a delightful break from large grocery stores. I've been shopping at ALDI since 2001 and live in Wegmans native city. I go into Wegmans once a month for a few keys items (cereals, frozen veggies, ground beef and chicken breasts) and get the rest of the food at ALDI. Their store is so simple and free from all those add-ons and up-sells. I just want food! Not only is their chocolate amazing but we love their cheeses, chips, and produce. Basics like flour, canned tomatoes, and boxed pastas are cheaper but indistinguishable from their Wegmans counterparts - except for the price tag. But as you said - very little customer interaction. Wegmans needs the bells and whistles to justify/balance the higher prices.

If MSC wanted to be an ALDI I'd be all for it. And I'm not saying never MSC. I have just learned a valuable lesson for my family. We can't experiment with a new line/new ship for what we want in a product. We don't want surprises.

I just think people are using the excuse "you must not be ready for European experience" to downplay any concerns people have.[/quote']

Makes total sense. I am trying 'not' to be surprised, but it seems that even MSC isn't sure what Seaside is supposed to be. The idea that the "European experience" is even something they are going for is completely opposite of everything MSC is communicating in their message to the USA market. They are advertising "Broadway-style shows", they named the pools "South Beach" and "Miami Beach". They talk extensively about designing the aft cabins as "Miami style". Where is the European experience thing even coming from? It is so weird. Their loyal customers are spinning things even more than MSC. They have just been completely mute about everything, which I guess makes sense. Just let your paying customers be spin doctors for you :'):'):')

I keep seeing people make statements that those who have cruised with other lines need to be open to change and realize that MSC does things 'different'. I have also seen people post about the 'European way'.

Can someone clarify for me what these differences are? I am one of those folks on the verge of canceling and part of the reason is not understanding what MSC is going for with Seaside. In what ways does my mind need to be open to truly understand the MSC Seaside experience? What fundamental differences from Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, and Carnival should I be prepared to experience?

I think these sort of vague terms being clarified would help me make a better decision. I have stalked MSC's website trying to find answers and I can't, which is why I am asking other customers.

I have not been on the Seaside yet, but have sailed the Divina twice. Other than intros and announcements being given in numerous languages, and entertainment being mostly singing and dancing, we did not notice any real big differences. Yes, more people dressed for dinner, but we did not feel out of place with our normal cruisewear. We enjoyed the food, portions were fine for us, and you can order multiple of items if you wish.

I don't think it being called European should scare you. I believe the problems being reported are more a new cruise ship issue for the most part. We will be on the Seaside in April.

To understand MSC and the European experience that folks in the USA think they are getting you need to cruise MSC in Europe.

You need to accept that the waiters and drink servers do not run around after you, yes they do their job but they are not there to be your friends.

MSC is quite laid back but elegant, yes suits and Tuxes are worn on the Gala/ Elegant nights, if this is not your style and you want to wear shorts in the dining rooms then the other cruise lines are where you need to be headed.

To understand MSC and the European experience that folks in the USA think they are getting you need to cruise MSC in Europe.

You need to accept that the waiters and drink servers do not run around after you, yes they do their job but they are not there to be your friends.

MSC is quite laid back but elegant, yes suits and Tuxes are worn on the Gala/ Elegant nights, if this is not your style and you want to wear shorts in the dining rooms then the other cruise lines are where you need to be headed.

^^^ This. Exactly this. If I wanted the same experience as I’ve had on other lines (which were great, BTW), I would simply have booked one of those again. But I didn’t. I wanted to cruise the Caribbean but in European style. And the Seaside sounds like just the ticket for me and my family. Best of both worlds, yay! [emoji3] [emoji631] [emoji634]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was on the MSC Divina a couple of years ago. The first difference I noticed was that most people did not speak American. I enjoyed the multiculturalism. It seemed mostly Italian. The shows are like different chapters of the same book. They have a set group of singers and dancers and stage artists and musicians. They perform every night with a different theme. I particularly liked French night with the witch costumes and noses. The ship was very beautiful and decorated stunningly; but I would have preferred working hand sanitizer machines and for that poor worker with the flu or something worse to have been tucked away in bed instead of working the buffet. I got really sick the day after returning home. On the upside, they send staffers on every ship excursion. They serve crunchies in the piano bar with your drink. The casino is non-smoking. And the pizza and gelato are so incredible that the quality rivals high end restaurants. The Infinity pool would have been great if the weather had been warmer.

We are Australians and have done two MSC cruises and love them. We are booked on back to back cruises in Feb doing the Caribbean and then over to Genoa on Divina. I love the diversity of the cruisers and you meet lots of interesting people. We have given up taking really formal clothes as they are hard to transport, and not necessary. If you don't want to attend their formal nights, go to another restaurant.

If you don't want to attend their formal nights, go to another restaurant.

Your comment is based on no knowledge of Seaside it would appear, there are no other restaurants other than the pay ones, the only other place you can go is to the Deck 18 small buffet.

I don’t want to be their friends either, but the last thing I want with food allergies is a laid back server with whom I have a language barrier. Food allergies is exactly WHY we cruise the Caribbean instead of visiting islands for land based trips. I want to see these lovely places, but know we can get back on the ship and eat safely.

I just want people to stop suggesting that those who cancel have cultural issues or are uncouth Americans who need to slurp down their chicken nuggets in 15 minutes or less. This is more related to new-ship issues for some of us.

<><

From previous posts it seems that allergies and food is where MSC have excelled in the past, especially once you have made it clear when booking and then speaking to the Maitre`D once onboard regarding this.

In 6 cruises with MSC on 6 different ships we have never had an issue with the waiters understanding our food requests, maybe we have just had good waiters which we believe we have.

Makes total sense. I am trying 'not' to be surprised, but it seems that even MSC isn't sure what Seaside is supposed to be. The idea that the "European experience" is even something they are going for is completely opposite of everything MSC is communicating in their message to the USA market. They are advertising "Broadway-style shows", they named the pools "South Beach" and "Miami Beach". They talk extensively about designing the aft cabins as "Miami style". Where is the European experience thing even coming from? It is so weird. Their loyal customers are spinning things even more than MSC. They have just been completely mute about everything, which I guess makes sense. Just let your paying customers be spin doctors for you :'):'):')

How true..... I guarantee MSC will be lucky to keep/maintain? a 40-50% US passenger retention. They best have a bunch of European ports lined up for their new ships because....they may be relocating these planned ships if this type of experience continues. Also the US dollar is strengthening more and more making travel to US more expensive so they may see a drop in Int'l passengers

From previous posts it seems that allergies and food is where MSC have excelled in the past, especially once you have made it clear when booking and then speaking to the Maitre`D once onboard regarding this.

In 6 cruises with MSC on 6 different ships we have never had an issue with the waiters understanding our food requests, maybe we have just had good waiters which we believe we have.

Ok. I guess we aren’t reading the same reviews. But that’s ok. I’m glad you’ve had no issues. I’m not ready to gamble.

<><

Also the US dollar is strengthening more and more

Really ?

If so how come in the UK we can get more $ to the £ now than we could at Xmas ?

Divina since we came over on the very first TA sailing has never had an issue with filling the berths available nor will Seaside at the prices offered by MSC. There are plenty who want to see them fail but that is not going to happen, certainly not with a very large commercial fleet of ships behind them.

How true..... I guarantee MSC will be lucky to keep/maintain? a 40-50% US passenger retention. They best have a bunch of European ports lined up for their new ships because....they may be relocating these planned ships if this type of experience continues. Also the US dollar is strengthening more and more making travel to US more expensive so they may see a drop in Int'l passengers

You GUARANTEE they’ll be lucky to keep/maintain a 40-50% US passenger retention? What “guarantee” is this, exactly. I’d love to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by DCGuy64