“Live” Jewel of the Seas - February 4, 2018

Question... did they offer any kind of deals for dining in the specialty restaurants while you were onboard? I was considering doing the BOGO dining, but part of me would rather play it by ear....

BOGO is offered for the first 2 nights in Chops or Giovanni's. When we were looking at the table outside the Windjammer trying to decide, a manager came up and offered us 1/2 price and a bottle of wine at Izumi for the first night. We took him up on the offer. 1/2 price makes Izumi worth it, the ala cart prices make it a very expensive dining option. We liked Izumi best of all the specialty dining.

BOGO is offered for the first 2 nights in Chops or Giovanni's. When we were looking at the table outside the Windjammer trying to decide, a manager came up and offered us 1/2 price and a bottle of wine at Izumi for the first night. We took him up on the offer. 1/2 price makes Izumi worth it, the ala cart prices make it a very expensive dining option. We liked Izumi best of all the specialty dining.

Thanks. I figured that might be the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for the reply. Did you use any repellent if so which type? My daughter has been bitten badly before, thanks

Hi, We are from Scotland, and we have cruised a few times in the Caribbean, and visited some of the rainforests during our different island trips, and I have never been bothered by the mosquitos. Everyone is different though. If you want to take repellent with you, it would be advisable to ask at a pharmacy which they would recommend. Back in Scotland, however, our midges love me, and when we've visited Canada, the mosquitos had a field day.

Really struggling with what to do in Martinique. Ports of Call board isn't too helpful- what Rainforest Trip did you do?

We also went on a hike. Bought through RC. Only RC excursion we took, but it was great. No bugs, though we did use deet lotion. Just saw crabs a few times.

We also went on a hike. Bought through RC. Only RC excursion we took, but it was great. No bugs, though we did use deet lotion. Just saw crabs a few times.

Well, that pretty much confirms I’ll be able to get my choice of sunscreen at the drugstore when I get to San Juan. Trying to avoid checking luggage!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well, that pretty much confirms I’ll be able to get my choice of sunscreen at the drugstore when I get to San Juan. Trying to avoid checking luggage!

CVS right across the street from the piers in Old San Juan.

There is a later muster drill on Adventure, but Jewel has only had one.

Hmmm that doesn't make sense since my Cruise Documents clearly states all aboard is 7pm. So what about the people that gets in after 530pm? I'm also asking cause my wife and I are planning on getting on at 11am, have lunch. Then unload all our stuff in the stateroom at 1pm and then leave the ship and explore Old San Juan for the afternoon. We may be back by 530pm anyways but thought we had until 7pm.

Hmmm that doesn't make sense since my Cruise Documents clearly states all aboard is 7pm. So what about the people that gets in after 530pm? I'm also asking cause my wife and I are planning on getting on at 11am, have lunch. Then unload all our stuff in the stateroom at 1pm and then leave the ship and explore Old San Juan for the afternoon. We may be back by 530pm anyways but thought we had until 7pm.

Maybe the muster procedure has changed, but I thought Jewel's was later, around 8pm.

There’s been several reviews and they state there has only been the one muster which pushed back the first nights dinner times slightly. You would have to make the muster up if you aren’t able to attend the first.

Yea sorry, double checked and it did state all aboard is at 730pm not 7pm. Hmmm I wonder how the makeup Muster work? I guess they just inform anyone not at the 5:30pm to meet at a designated place later that evening. Or they make you clean the dishes as punishment :p

Yea sorry, double checked and it did state all aboard is at 730pm not 7pm. Hmmm I wonder how the makeup Muster work? I guess they just inform anyone not at the 5:30pm to meet at a designated place later that evening. Or they make you clean the dishes as punishment :p

Oh that’s part of the galley tour too! Mandatory dish washing

I hadn’t thought about AirBnB as an option, I would love to know how this goes for y’all. We have never used them and know many people who have and enjoyed their experience.

I’ve been in SJU but it’s been 20 years. We went on our first cruise in 1998 as a port of call on the Sensation.

We had a great experience with the AirBnB.

It was a 3 bedroom place that we shared with another couple and my sister.

The place was a block or two from San Christobal. Lots of restaurants within reasonable walking distance. We went to a small Italian restuarant one night and to Tijauana's Bar & Grill on the waterfront another night.

It was a great way to spend time in Old San Juan and see the sights.

The main shows were usually around 6-6:30 and 9-9:30 for each dinner seating. But of course they had the late night comedy and Love & Marriage gameshow, which we’re always 10:30 or later. This was the first RCI Cruise I’ve done that didn’t have The Quest though! We were disappointed!

They had the Quest.

It was held in the Safari Club.

Saw that but wasn’t sure how back to normal inventory was...glad the only lobster I’ll be having is at the formal dinner...

Pretty much everything in Old San Juan was up and running. We walked the town pretty thoroughly and only came across one generator running.

There is a big CVS and Walgreens both across the street close to where the docks are for the ships visiting for the day. They were fully stocked.