Seeking those with recent experience staying onshore during an overnight in port

Floppy McTurnriver

It is rare, but it does happen occasionally, usually due to deteriorating weather conditions.

I remember one cruise line (do not remember which one) a couple of years ago had to leave San Juan earlier than scheduled due to weather, thus leaving a number of very unhappy passengers ashore.

I believe it was CCL. The cruise line took responsibility for the pax left onshore and flew them to the next port.

On our South American cruises and on our west bound TA from London to NYC, the ship collected our passports and held them. It would have been impossible then to take them ashore.

does anyone have experience with regard to independent travel in St. Petersburg. Are the visa requirements the same for cruise travel as they are for arriving into the country by train or flight? I see where when booked thru a tour company they get your visa and you are subject to the supervision of the tour. are there any "tours" out there that would allow for a more independent experience , perhaps with the opportunity to sample restaurants and performances of one's own choice. to this point thank you for your informative response . also If there is another board that is specific to this topic please direct me there so i do not sidetrack the board here.

does anyone have experience with regard to independent travel in St. Petersburg. Are the visa requirements the same for cruise travel as they are for arriving into the country by train or flight?

If you want to travel on your own after getting off a cruise ship, the visa requirements are the same as if you arrived in the country any other way.

does anyone have experience with regard to independent travel in St. Petersburg. Are the visa requirements the same for cruise travel as they are for arriving into the country by train or flight? I see where when booked thru a tour company they get your visa and you are subject to the supervision of the tour. are there any "tours" out there that would allow for a more independent experience , perhaps with the opportunity to sample restaurants and performances of one's own choice. to this point thank you for your informative response . also If there is another board that is specific to this topic please direct me there so i do not sidetrack the board here.

When we cruised last summer there was a shopping excursion which basically dropped you in arts square then picked you up later that day. It appears to be a way around the visa issue (tour was only $30 visa was $180 when I looked!) but not all cruise lines seem to offer it. Whether it is available as a private tour I’m not sure

On CC forum, click on "ports of call" then "Europe" then "Northern Europe and Baltic sea" and type your search. If you really want to be totally "free" in St P. You need your own visa. Tours guides are responsible for their passengers and wouldn't take the risk to loose their license, but you can easily find a private tour and tailor it to your own taste with the tours agencies. You'll find, on St P. Forum, a lot of links to local tours websites and they are generally very good and reliable. If it is your first time in Russia, and if you don't speak and read russian I think the best thing to do is to use a local guide because you'll probably waste a lot of precious time going by your own.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone had experience of disembarking a day early in Buenos Aires?

Or disembarking by 6 am on the last day of the cruise in Buenos Aires?

If so, who do you contact to arrange it?

For those who might consider staying off the ship overnight in SPB you would definitely need a Visa. The provision that allows cruise passengers to tour under a tour companies Visa specifies that they are staying on the ship overnight while it is in port.

Princess will require an approved "Deviation From Cruise Itinerary" form. Lots of countries have lots of odd custom and boarder rules, and this ensures Princess Cruise Line can allow you to disembark and then can legally allow you to re-embark after your overnight stay. Call the Princess 800 line...if allowed by local country law it will be approved.

This form (and permission) is only needed if you will rejoin the ship at a port other than the one you disembarked.

If the ship is staying overnight in a port and you leave the first day and return the second, no form is needed.

Do let the customer service desk know you will be doing this and give them a way to contact you if they need to.

Also let your cabin steward know so he/she knows nothing is wrong when you are not in your cabin that night.

We have a CC friend who wanted to disembark in LeHavre a day early. She is cruising May 13th from South Hampton and returning to South Hampton she called Princess they had her fill out a form and stated no problem BUT, port authorities in LeHavre would not let her do this due to disembarkation limitation in Le Havre. So now she is disembarking in South Hampton at the end of our cruise and taking the train to Paris. So my take on this is to notify Princess ASAP so the disembarkation is not at it's quota and hopefully you will be able to disembark earlier than the scheduled disembarkation port.

We are planning on staying in a castle in Dublin overnight and we will inform our cabin steward so he is aware.