Be careful when ordering gift certificates from AARP!!

Ashiepooh

i have purchased Carnival gift cards from AARP and enjoy the 10% savings. I ordered some for Royal Caribbean thinking I was getting something that could be used just like the Carnival cards - to pay down the balance on our cruise; order a beverage package, apply to my sail and sign card, etc. Instead what I received was a gift “certificate” that can only be used to make a new reservation directly through Royal Caribbean and nothing else. I will admit it was my fault because I didn’t read through it. It was listed under “Travel” and “gift cards” and I incorrectly assumed it was like the Carnival cards. Now I’m stuck with $1,500 of gift certificates that I can’t use and now need to find another way to pay off our currently booked cruise. If you order anything from AARP be very careful, read the description and be sure that you’re truly getting what you think you are.

• 2 months later...
Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just (this week) used an AARP Royal Caribbean $500 gift certificate to pay down my previously booked cruise. I called RCCL and they told me to send my cruise and certificate info to this email address: SharedServicesGiftCertificateRedemption@rccl.com They told me to wait 10-12 days for certificate to be applied. On 12th day I received confirmation and the $500 was applied to my existing reservation. Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...
i have purchased Carnival gift cards from AARP and enjoy the 10% savings. I ordered some for Royal Caribbean thinking I was getting something that could be used just like the Carnival cards - to pay down the balance on our cruise; order a beverage package, apply to my sail and sign card, etc. Instead what I received was a gift “certificate” that can only be used to make a new reservation directly through Royal Caribbean and nothing else. I will admit it was my fault because I didn’t read through it. It was listed under “Travel” and “gift cards” and I incorrectly assumed it was like the Carnival cards. Now I’m stuck with $1,500 of gift certificates that I can’t use and now need to find another way to pay off our currently booked cruise. If you order anything from AARP be very careful, read the description and be sure that you’re truly getting what you think you are.

I have a Citibank Mastercard that I had accumulated points for..I only cashed in enough for 400.00 of RCCL gift certificates.. Same thing..can't use them unless you book through a RCCL agent on a new reservation :mad:

Originally I was looking at Carnival Gift Cards as my kids wanted to do a cruise there..but then decided against it..and friends of mine had booked RCCL and asked us to come along..My fault..didn't read the instructions..so I'm stuck with $400.00 of gift certificates..and this is my first RCCL cruise..I hope I like it enought to go on another one..THANKFULLY I didn't cash in all my points..so like you I have to come up with another $800.00 to pay off the cruise :(

I just (this week) used an AARP Royal Caribbean $500 gift certificate to pay down my previously booked cruise. I called RCCL and they told me to send my cruise and certificate info to this email address: SharedServicesGiftCertificateRedemption@rccl.com They told me to wait 10-12 days for certificate to be applied. On 12th day I received confirmation and the $500 was applied to my existing reservation. Hope this helps.

Did you book through a TA or RCCL direct?

• 2 weeks later...

I participated in a focus group and the reward was $100 gift card to almost any site/store. I selected Royal Caribbean and too was surprised when I received it that it was for new reservations only. I researched here and saw that someone had emailed the address on the certificated and they credited it, no problem. I did the same and like the other person, it took exactly 10 business days. They replied back saying, "the gift certificate has been credited to your existing reservation." I'm assuming they just apply them without issue because on these reward sites they don't indicate BEFORE selecting what they can be used for. I did mention that something needs to be changed. It's ridiculous in this day and age that they don't have a way to apply gift cards!

WOW! If this info is correct, that's GREAT! Please, anyone else that has good luck in doing this, report it back here.

Thanks!

We are currently in the process of attempting getting a refund. When we first received the mailing from AARP, we thought they had forgotten to include the gift cards, because we expected it to be like Carnival. My husband called immediately, and spoke to several levels of supervisors, the last of which gave him directions to mail the certificate back. We have not done it yet, as we are currently sailing, but will keep you posted on hat happens when we get back home.

My sister ordered the Royal certificate through AARP and Royal accepted it on a cruise she already had booked. She had to mail the certificate in along with her booking information, etc and it was applied as a payment towards the cruise she already had booked. Seems they will take them if you call, or at least they did for her.

WOW! If this info is correct, that's GREAT! Please, anyone else that has good luck in doing this, report it back here.

Thanks!

I really don't think it's "good luck" at this point. This seems to be the policy for these as there are older posts about this. They will put the certificate towards your cruise payment only. It can't be used for OBC.

I really don't think it's "good luck" at this point. This seems to be the policy for these as there are older posts about this. They will put the certificate towards your cruise payment only. It can't be used for OBC.

wonder if this will work for a travel agent?

Situation and Royal is nothing new, at least consistent on one thing. Years ago, maybe 20+, there was a lawsuit filed for getting back Port Tax for Islands anyone missed due to Hurricanes and such. Royal settled at up to $7 million with $7ea for every missed port. We had 6 missed ports, total $42ea. Month later got my certificate that we had to apply for new booking only which think it had to be used within a year...

The certificates are certainly transferable. I attached a copy of what mine looked like. Without these boards, I wouldn't have known to just email them and that they would apply it to an existing reservation w/o any issue.

RC2.thumb.jpg.301ee889c28cd55ba6a2a3ec28f0bc8c.jpg

I just sent a email to them also..lets see.

this is the response I got from them, so I will scan them and see what they can do...fingers crossed this is $400.00 I wasn't planning on coming out of my pocket

Good afternoon,

Please scan and attach your certificates and I will try to make an exception for you. Thank you.

Enjoy your day.