Princess Star General Questions

vegasgal47

We will be on the Star Princess going southbound from Anchorage to Vancouver on June 2nd We picked Anytime seating because we thought it might be more flexible. It is just the two of us. We originally had the late seating. Any advantages or disadvantages to anytime seating for dinner? Also what is a good time to board the ship? I believe it leaves Anchorage at 8:30pm

Janice

We will be on the Star Princess going southbound from Anchorage to Vancouver on June 2nd We picked Anytime seating because we thought it might be more flexible. It is just the two of us. We originally had the late seating. Any advantages or disadvantages to anytime seating for dinner? Also what is a good time to board the ship? I believe it leaves Anchorage at 8:30pm

Anytime advantages/disadvantages: With its flexibility as to when to dine, it is the same as at any land restaurant. If too many of your fellow passengers decide to eat at the same time you want to, there will be a wait. If there is not a demand at the time you pick, you can go right in. If there is a wait, you will usually be seated faster if you are willing to share a table instead of having a table just for the two of you.

Boarding: The ship will be available for boarding by noon. Any time after that is OK to board up until around 6 or 7 PM. How are you getting from Anchorage to Whittier?

We are thinking about taking Alaskan Cruise Transportation from Anchorage to Whittier. They have a bus tour that picks up at hotels and airport and stops at Alaska Wildlife Conservation, a photo stop at Portage Glacier and then goes directly to the port. Deciding to take the early or late bus tour. Early will get us to port in Whittier at 1230 or 1pm The afternoon bus tour gets us to port at 4:45pm. Should we take the early tour or the later tour?

We are thinking about taking Alaskan Cruise Transportation from Anchorage to Whittier. They have a bus tour that picks up at hotels and airport and stops at Alaska Wildlife Conservation, a photo stop at Portage Glacier and then goes directly to the port. Deciding to take the early or late bus tour. Early will get us to port in Whittier at 1230 or 1pm The afternoon bus tour gets us to port at 4:45pm. Should we take the early tour or the later tour?

Personally, I would take the earlier tour. You will be able to check in and board the ship when your tour ends in Whittier. That will give you time to have lunch and become familiar with the ship before many more passengers board.

Are there any shops or anything to do around the Whittier cruise port if we get there early? We were thinking about taking the 26 Glacier boat tour but that is too rushed and we wouldnt get on the ship until later.

• 2 weeks later...
Vegasgal, we will be sailing on this cruise with you. If your Steward doesn't make you a Towel Animal, let me know. I can come and make you a swan or an elephant. They used to have towel folding classes (not sure if they still do), but those two are the only ones I remember. DH has accused me of taking every class Princess offers, which isn't true. Sometimes the classes overlap and I can't.

Vegasgal, did your cabin steward make you a towel animal? If not, leave me a message with your cabin number and I will make them. Ask for one or two bath towels and one hand towel. Call me onboard at 10743.

Are there any shops or anything to do around the Whittier cruise port if we get there early? We were thinking about taking the 26 Glacier boat tour but that is too rushed and we wouldnt get on the ship until later.

Yes, there are shops. And if the weather is nice, beautiful scenery to look at.

We had 5:30pm traditional in the Portofino. Worked out great for us as we were sailing with little ones so dinner was finished in time for them to go to kids club!

Anyone do Anytime Seating for dinner? We are going on the Star Princess on June 2nd and picked anytime seating thinking it would be more flexible for us.

Janice

Anyone do Anytime Seating for dinner? We are going on the Star Princess on June 2nd and picked anytime seating thinking it would be more flexible for us.

Janice

We have always done it and never had to wait more than a very few minutes to be seated. We would go around 8:00. On the last cruise, however, we were two women and although we requested sharing, we were placed alone at a table that could accommodate six or so but no one was ever sent to our table. Twice they tried to put us at a less desirable table (right by the kitchen door where food was coming in and out) but we told them it was not acceptable and moved to a better location.. Towards the end (2-week cruise), we were put at a table for six or eight with an excellent server so we asked for her table and never had a wait for it more than 5 minutes or so. When with my DH, we've never had to wait and our sharing request has always been honored. I don't know if the two women had anything to do with the minor problems but it could have.

Janice

We gave up with anytime dining as we like to eat early(ish) as we have two children. There always seemed to be a line-up even before the dining room opened and there were waits of half an hour or more whenever we tried to get in. Even calling to try to reserve was a pain as there would be long holds and then you could only reserve specific times. We switched to early traditional and find this works well for us. I have heard anytime dining works much better if you eat later....