First timer - GEM

banderboo

That's good to know. I'll be traveling with my parents who are very down to earth type people and don't like fancy. A few questions How long does dinner service generally take? Types / quality of specialty restaurants (we got 3 free as part of our package) What types of shows do they have? Any must do activities, food, etc? Best place to eat on embarkation day? Can you board anytime day one or are they pretty strict on arrival time?

That's good to know. I'll be traveling with my parents who are very down to earth type people and don't like fancy. A few questions How long does dinner service generally take? Types / quality of specialty restaurants (we got 3 free as part of our package) What types of shows do they have? Any must do activities, food, etc? Best place to eat on embarkation day? Can you board anytime day one or are they pretty strict on arrival time?
We really like the Gem. Our favorite specialty restaurants on there are Cagney's and Le Bistro.

Go to the MDR on embarkation day for lunch

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Checkout the Spinmaker Lounge, deck 13 Fwd on sea days, I love to sit there to watch the sea swell & waves, white caps, and the ocean ... even not on a nice, sunny day.

Visit the Bridge Viewing Room & see the guardian mermaid with all the charms & bracelets, our Roll Call left ours last year.

via Nexus 5X Oreo 8.0 w Tapatalk, VPN secured.

e3c44d3184a3613e4e17ed25ece5ebad.jpg

24e4a1452b7017e80cdc60c92740df54.jpg4a206c0c718d2bec1cae7d368863d9c9.jpg1e0808af52b961e8b79ab0f4cdf4689d.jpg

Edited by mking8288

The GEM is great! We like to do the Grand Pacific (MDR) for embarkation day lunch. Our favorite NCL specialty dining venues are Cagney's (Oreo cheesecake, yummy!!) and La Cucina.

We did do a 10 day Canada cruise but on the Jewel, which is in the same class and almost mirrors the Gem. You should pack some warm weather and cool weather clothes. During our 1st port day we needed jeans and sweater/light jacket and by next port day (2 days later) we were wearing shorts and t-shirts.

If you can manage to get a behind the scenes tour, it was worth the $ (if platinum or above you get it for free but need to sign up with cruise consultant on embarkation day), check at guest relations upon boarding as space is limited. These are very informative and makes you appreciate what the staff does for you behind the scenes. You see the food storage/prep areas, kitchen/galleys, laundry and the theatre. These tours do not include the bridge anymore due to security reasons, but do go to the bridge viewing area on deck 11 starboard side.

The Spinnaker lounge on deck 13 forward offers great views. It is a great alternative to being out on deck when the weather does not cooperate for sail away. They also have dance music, parties, game shows, and yes Bingo (Hahaha!!) in the Spinnaker.

Pool area gets a little crowded, so we usually sit at the Bali Hai Bar on Deck 13 just above the pool. You get to see all the action at the pool, drinks/food are easily obtainable, and bathrooms are close by.

Hope you enjoy her as much as we do! Have a wonderful cruise!

• 3 weeks later...
As a first time NCL cruiser what do I need to know about sailing on the GEM out of NY to Canada? I've been on several other cruise lines but never NCL? Any tips, hints, etc would be greatly appreciated.

I went on a cruise with NCL Gem to Canada back of Oct 2017 and loved it even though the time at Quebec city was cut off.

Tips: Pack some warmer clothing...layers, layers. It depends on when you are going to Canada. It can be very cold or warm. Make sure to check the weather before going and to pack an umbrella.

On the cruise ship - Visit the Great Outdoors when it available and use the room in La Cucina when they offer it for breakfast. More table, room and space so it not crowded as everyone stay at the buffet area. Always find a table for breakfast in La Cucina.

Cagney's, Le Bistro, and La Cucina were my favorite for specialty dining. Make sure to book in advance. You can call up the specialty dining line to have them book for you.

You can arrive at the port at anytime. If you arrived early, you would be waiting in a lobby until they announce when people can be on board by calling their boarding #. For me, I do not mind waiting as I wanted to make sure I have enough time to get to the port as I travel to the port on the day the cruise ship leave. Once on board, the best place to eat on embarkation day for lunch would either be the Garden Cafe or the MDR.