Civitaveccia Station to San Pietro, then to Parco Leonardo: Will a BIRG Ticket Work?

FunInTheSun9

We are finishing our TA and arriving in the Port of Civitaveccia on the Reflection on April 27, 2018. We want to spend the day at the Vatican, and afterwards go to our AirBNB next to the Parco Leonardo train station. I have a couple of transport logistics questions:

1. Are these the trains we take?:

* Regional FR-5 from Civitaveccia to the San Pietro Station.

* Then after the Vatican board the FR-5 or FR-3 at San Pietro to get to the Trastevere station.

* Switch to the regional FR-1 train at Trastevere station to the Parco Leonardo Station.

2. Can we use a single BIRG ticket per person purchased at the Civitaveccia station to do this?

3. The next day we plan to tour all over Rome (trains, trams, buses, subway - everything). Can we buy a BIRG ticket at the Parco Leonardo station to go into Rome on the FR-1? Or should we buy a second BIRG ticket when in Civitaveccia to use the next day for this?

4. Is there any problem using the BIRG ticket on the FL-1 when you are NOT going to or from the FCO airport?

I've been searching cruisecritic and elsewhere for hours, and have been receiving conflicting info. Mostly regarding the BIRG being OK or not OK to use on the FR-1 when not going to/from FCO. Hoping someone that has traveled recently or who knows the system well can help.

Sidenote: We will be storing our luggage at the CityInLoop shop near St. Peter's for $7 euro/bag so we can go directly to the Vatican (vs. wasting time/money dropping them at the Parco Leonardo AirBNB and back tracking).

Thanks!

Yes, the 5-zone BIRG, the one you need for Civitavecchia to Rome, will work to get to Parco Leonardo. It only requires a 3-zone BIRG.

The zone map is here: http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=1643

I'm assuming you are doing this for convenience, because it's actually cheaper to purchase the individual tickets for this unless you're planning to use a lot of transit in Rome during the day.

Also, if you're doing this at the end of a cruise what will you do with your luggage all day?

Yes, the 5-zone BIRG, the one you need for Civitavecchia to Rome, will work to get to Parco Leonardo. It only requires a 3-zone BIRG.

The zone map is here: http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=1643

I'm assuming you are doing this for convenience, because it's actually cheaper to purchase the individual tickets for this unless you're planning to use a lot of transit in Rome during the day.

Also, if you're doing this at the end of a cruise what will you do with your luggage all day?

Excellent. Thank you! I had seen several older posts that the FR1 was off limits to the BIRG pass because of the airport - but others that it's OK as long as you are not going to/from the airport (which we are not).

Yes, we are using the metro, buses, etc. too while in Rome. We are planning to check our luggage in at CityInLoop for $7 euro per bag. They are between the San Pietro station and St. Peter's, so close to our first tour stop. Plan is to pick the luggage up before their 8:30pm close time after eating dinner in Piazza Navona.

We are planning to check our luggage in at CityInLoop for $7 euro per bag. They are between the San Pietro station and St. Peter's, so close to our first tour stop. Plan is to pick the luggage up before their 8:30pm close time after eating dinner in Piazza Navona.

Just a note to be sure your timing is realistic. Allow enough time to get from Piazza Navona to the luggage pick-up place, with the understanding that a lot of restaurants don't open until 7:00 pm and service is generally leisurely.

Just a note to be sure your timing is realistic. Allow enough time to get from Piazza Navona to the luggage pick-up place, with the understanding that a lot of restaurants don't open until 7:00 pm and service is generally leisurely.

Ah, I was hoping you would chime in Cruisemom! Had no idea that restaurants opened so late, so thank you for that input.

We will probably head back to the apartment then after the Vatican. There is a mall nearby the apartment (both the apartment and mall are a short walk from the Parco Leonardo station), but any restaurants there probably won't compare to dining in the Piazza!

Do you agree that it is OK to use our BIRG pass to get to Parco Leonardo? (San Pietro-Trastevere-Parco Leonardo)

Ah, I was hoping you would chime in Cruisemom! Had no idea that restaurants opened so late, so thank you for that input.

We will probably head back to the apartment then after the Vatican. There is a mall nearby the apartment (both the apartment and mall are a short walk from the Parco Leonardo station), but any restaurants there probably won't compare to dining in the Piazza!

Do you agree that it is OK to use our BIRG pass to get to Parco Leonardo? (San Pietro-Trastevere-Parco Leonardo)

Eurocruiser had a good suggestion -- there are places around the Piazza that serve food all day. The food is generally expensive and likely to be pretty average, but probably not much worse than a mall in the airport vicinity. The setting at Piazza Navona may be worth it to you.

RE: the BIRG ticket -- I'm not the fare expert particularly, but I think eurocruiser is right.