Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay

ebrasl

Hi there,

We are scheduled for Adventure Bound trip of Tracy Arm. Our cruise also cruises Glacier Bay. Are these two things similiar? Will we be sorry that we did Tracy Arm only to see the same looking things a few days later?

We haven't been yet, but from everything I've read when faced with the choice between one or the other the advice I've always received is to do both.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm both have glacier viewing. The one thing that stands out most to me about Tracy Arm is the beautiful and colorful bergs in the water --- there is something magical about exploring Tracy Arm. Below my signature, see my 2017 pictures of Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm to see what I am talking about. In June, we are returning to both places and I can't wait to see what is in store for us this time around.

Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm both have glacier viewing. The one thing that stands out most to me about Tracy Arm is the beautiful and colorful bergs in the water --- there is something magical about exploring Tracy Arm. Below my signature, see my 2017 pictures of Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm to see what I am talking about. In June, we are returning to both places and I can't wait to see what is in store for us this time around.

I will tell you what you have some amazing pictures there in Glacier Bay and the ones in Whitter were also very nice.

You are right much more blue ice in Tracy Arm................but Glacier Bay is so wide compared to Tracy Arm.

We did Tracy Arm in 2017, doing Glacier Bay in 2019.....but now you have me thinking where we should do the Glacier tour in Whittier before the cruise or if we should do the glacier viewing one from Seward..............I had first though the one from Seward but now I'm not so sure after seeing your pictures......You have some really great shots of calving.

Also the water was so calm in Glacier Bay area......that was really neat looking.

You even got a nice shot of a whale.

Jimbo:)

Edited by Jimbo

Every year we cruise to Alaska out of Seattle, we alternate one year we go to Glacier Bay and the next year we go to Tracy Arm. If you’re going to Tracy Arm I highly recommend that you take the small boat tour in Tracy Arm. You’ll get a lot closer to the glacier than the cruise ship does. Be forewarned that you may end up in Endicott Arm and go up to Dawes glacier if you go early in the season. There may be too much ice in Tracy Arm for the cruise ship to make a safe passage. If this is the case don’t despair, it’s just as beautiful of an area.

They are different and both worth doing. Tracy Arm is a long, narrow Fjord with cliffs up to 3,000 feet. There are 2 glaciers at the end - North and South Sawyer Glaciers. Glacier Bay is wider and more open with multiple glaciers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will tell you what you have some amazing pictures there in Glacier Bay and the ones in Whitter were also very nice.

You are right much more blue ice in Tracy Arm................but Glacier Bay is so wide compared to Tracy Arm.

We did Tracy Arm in 2017, doing Glacier Bay in 2019.....but now you have me thinking where we should do the Glacier tour in Whittier before the cruise or if we should do the glacier viewing one from Seward..............I had first though the one from Seward but now I'm not so sure after seeing your pictures......You have some really great shots of calving.

Also the water was so calm in Glacier Bay area......that was really neat looking.

You even got a nice shot of a whale.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding my pictures, I appreciate them. Picking a glacier viewing option is really hard for us as we enjoy all of them. To be honest, for us, it has been a "crap shoot" as to which place we have had better glacier calving experience (Whittier vs. Seward). We always go with no expectations and feel blessed when we see calving. If you look at other pictures I have posted over the various years, you will see that we have seen our fair share of calving in Seward. For us, when we travel to Alaska, we take every opportunity to see glaciers and whales. For others, priorities might be different. Which ever glacier viewing option you decide upon, I hope you experience some great calving.

I'm thinking we may do something like this if the money holds out:...so may be hit both the ones in Seward and Whittier. We did go to Alaska thi past June 2017 and went to the South and North Sawyer, since it was around the first of June we were unable to get on the North side we did get close to the South side and did see some calvings. Quite inpressive for even a glacier of that size.

I think our plans are something like this give or take maybe some tweaking.

8/3/2019Sat

Riverboat Discovery Cruise Fairbanks (AM)Fairbanks

8/4/2019SunDenali Cabin Nite Dinner Theater 5:00pmDenali Park

8/5/2019MonDenali Tundra Wilderness Tour AMDenali Park

8/6/2019TueK2 Denali Glacier Landing Flight 5:00 PMTalkeetna area

8/7/2019WedMatanuska Glacier WalkAnchorage

8/7/2019WedAlyeska TramGirdwood

ROUND TRIP TRAIN ANCHORAGE TO SEWARD

8/8/2019ThuKenai Fjords Nat'l Park Cruise 11:30 AMSeward

8/10/2019SatPhillips 26 Glacier CruiseWhittier

Fairbanks, 2 nights 2nd and 3rd..................Might be able to make the land tour shorter by 1 night if we can get to Denali Cabin Nite Dinner Thheater in time after the Riverboat Discovery Cruise...not sure how long the cruise is or how many hours by car it would take to get to Denali??? meaning only needing 1 night in Fairbanks. flying in Saturday starting tours on Sunday.

Denali 2 nights (Healy) 4th and 5th

Talkeetna 1 night 6th

Anchorage 2 nights 7th and 8th

Whittier 1 night 9th

Board ship on the 10th after the Phillips 26 Glacier tour.

Edited by Jimbo

I'm thinking we may do something like this if the money holds out:...so may be hit both the ones in Seward and Whittier

I think our plans are something like this give or take maybe some tweaking.

My Alaska Trip Planner

DATEDAYSERVICELOCATIONNIGHTS 8/3/2019Sat

Riverboat Discovery Cruise Fairbanks (AM)Fairbanks Remove8/4/2019SunDenali Cabin Nite Dinner Theater 5:00pmDenali Park Remove8/5/2019MonDenali Tundra Wilderness Tour AMDenali Park Remove8/6/2019TueK2 Denali Glacier Landing Flight 5:00 PMTalkeetna area Remove8/7/2019WedMatanuska Glacier WalkAnchorage Remove8/7/2019WedAlyeska TramGirdwood Remove8/8/2019ThuKenai Fjords Nat'l Park Cruise 11:30 AMSeward Remove8/10/2019SatPhillips 26 Glacier CruiseWhittier Remove

Fairbanks, 2 nights 2nd and 3rd..................Might be able to make the land tour shorter by 1 night if we can get to Denali Cabin Nite Dinner Thheater in time after the Riverboat Discovery Cruise...not sure how long the cruise is or how many hours by car it would take to get to Denali??? meaning only needing 1 night in Fairbanks. flying in Saturday starting tours on Sunday.

Denali 2 nights (Healy) 4th and 5th

Talkeetna 1 night 6th

Anchorage 2 nights 7th and 8th

Whittier 1 night 9th

Board ship on the 10th after the Phillips 26 Glacier tour.

If you do take the glacier tours in Seward and/or Whittier, make sure to check to see if they offer a AAA (auto club) discount --- that is if you are members ---- every little bit helps especially when it comes to Alaska excursion expenses.

Did some tweaking....no rental car or food in this, I think we can come in just under $5000 for this land tour, same amount Princess was charging but like no excursions included in their price.

Trip Details

Date ....... August 3, Friday

Service .... Fairbanks River's Edge Resort

Quantity ... 1 Double Room

Duration ... 1 night

Notes ...... checking out August 4

Date ....... August 4, Saturday

Service .... Riverboat Discovery Cruise Fairbanks (AM)

Quantity ... 2 Adults

Duration ... 3 Hours

Notes ...... depart 9:00 AM from Riverboat Discovery dock

Service .... Denali Cabin Nite Dinner Theater 7:30pm

Quantity ... 2 Adults

Duration ... 2 hours

Notes ...... depart 7:30 PM from Cabin Nite Theater

Service .... Denali Park Village Lodge - Standard

Duration ... 2 nights

Notes ...... checking out August 6

Date ....... August 5, Sunday

Service .... Denali Tundra Wilderness Tour AM

Quantity ... 2 Adults

Duration ... 8 to 9 Hours

Notes ...... AM departure from Denali Park Village Lodge

Notes ...... departure time will vary from 5:00am to 9:00am

Date ....... August 6, Monday

Service .... K2 Denali Glacier Landing Flight 5:00 PM

Quantity ... 2 Adults

Duration ... 90 Minutes

Notes ...... depart 5:00 PM from K2 - Talkeetna Airport

Date ....... August 6, Monday

Service .... Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge - Guest Lodge

Duration ... 1 night

Notes ...... checking out August 7

Date ....... August 7, Tuesday

Service .... Clarion Suites Hotel Anchorage

Duration ... 3 nights

Notes ...... checking out August 10

Date ....... August 8, Wednesday

Service .... AK Rail Anchorage - Seward Roundtrip

Quantity ... 2 Adults

Duration ... 15 hours, 30 minutes

Notes ...... depart 6:45 AM from Anchorage Depot

Date ....... August 8, Wednesday

Service .... Kenai Fjords Nat'l Park Cruise 11:30 AM

Quantity ... 2 Adults

Duration ... 6 Hours

Notes ...... depart 11:30 AM from Small Boat Harbor

Date ....... August 10, Friday

Service .... Alaska Railroad Anchorage to Whittier

Quantity ... 2 Adults

Duration ... 2 hours, 20 minutes

Notes ...... depart 9:45 AM from Anchorage Depot

Date ....... August 10, Friday

Service .... Phillips 26 Glacier Cruise

Quantity ... 2 Adults

Duration ... 5 Hours

Notes ...... depart 12:30 PM from Whittier Harbor

Did some tweaking....no rental car or food in this, I think we can come in just under $5000 for this land tour, same amount Princess was charging but like no excursions included in their price.

Trip Details

Date ....... August 3, Friday

Service .... Fairbanks River's Edge Resort

Duration ... 1 night

Notes ...... checking out August 4

Service .... Riverboat Discovery Cruise Fairbanks (AM)

Quantity ... 2 Adults

Duration ... 3 Hours

Notes ...... depart 9:00 AM from Riverboat Discovery dock

Service .... Denali Cabin Nite Dinner Theater 7:30pm

Quantity ... 2 Adults

Duration ... 2 hours

Notes ...... depart 7:30 PM from Cabin Nite Theater

Service .... Denali Park Village Lodge - Standard

Duration ... 2 nights

Notes ...... checking out August 6

Date ....... August 5, Sunday

Service .... Denali Tundra Wilderness Tour AM

Quantity ... 2 Adults

Duration ... 8 to 9 Hours

Notes ...... AM departure from Denali Park Village Lodge

River's Edge is nice. I used to work there when they first opened. It's close to Safeway and Fred Meyer's so you can make a grocery run.

It's about 3 hours give or take a bit to drive from Fairbanks to Denali, depending on whether you stop at Skinny Dick's Halfway Inn, the Monderosa (best burgers in the Interior), Nenana, or just to take pictures.

If you want to hang out with real Alaskans, eat at the Monderosa instead of the Cabin Night Dinner Theater where you will get mediocre food at long tables filled with people from the Princess bus tours that you avoided and not an Alaskan in sight.

In Fairbanks, the museum at the University is an absolute top attraction.

The Palace Saloon at Pioneer Park in Fairbanks does a great musical variety show created by a local Fairbanksan for $22. It's where I take my friends and family when they visit.

Also, if you have a car why are you doing the very expensive Tundra Wilderness Tour when you can drive yourself to the WAC and get on a shuttle for $50 ($40 if you have a pass)? Also, with a car you can drive the first 12 miles into the park on the paved road up to Savage River. Awesome short hiking trail along the river with lots of birds, some Dall sheep, and the occasional bear or wolf. I spend a lot of time in Denali since my friend works there. We get an ice cream and drive out the road for the sunset and good views of Denali when it's clear after the buses are mostly done for the night and the animals come out.

Don't mean to criticize any of your choices, but I just want you to be aware there are other things to do beyond the brochure....

River's Edge is nice. I used to work there when they first opened. It's close to Safeway and Fred Meyer's so you can make a grocery run.

It's about 3 hours give or take a bit to drive from Fairbanks to Denali, depending on whether you stop at Skinny Dick's Halfway Inn, the Monderosa (best burgers in the Interior), Nenana, or just to take pictures.

If you want to hang out with real Alaskans, eat at the Monderosa instead of the Cabin Night Dinner Theater where you will get mediocre food at long tables filled with people from the Princess bus tours that you avoided and not an Alaskan in sight.

The Palace Saloon at Pioneer Park in Fairbanks does a great musical variety show created by a local Fairbanksan for $22. It's where I take my friends and family when they visit.

Also, if you have a car why are you doing the very expensive Tundra Wilderness Tour when you can drive yourself to the WAC and get on a shuttle for $50 ($40 if you have a pass)? Also, with a car you can drive the first 12 miles into the park on the paved road up to Savage River. Awesome short hiking trail along the river with lots of birds, some Dall sheep, and the occasional bear or wolf. I spend a lot of time in Denali since my friend works there. We get an ice cream and drive out the road for the sunset and good views of Denali when it's clear after the buses are mostly done for the night and the animals come out.

Don't mean to criticize any of your choices, but I just want you to be aware there are other things to do beyond the brochure....

No offense taken, I like to get as much advice as possible. Please offer more suggestions anytime.

On my current schedule we planned to only stay one night in Fairbanks. Figured getting up early and doing the Riverboat Discovery Cruise and that would be done around 12 noon......So with stops and driving that would put us in Denali around 5pm or so. It's not a must to do the Cabin Nite Dinner if it isn't that good.

How far from the Discovery Cruise in Faribanks is the museum at the University of Fairbanks that you say is a must see?

Saw the web site for Skinny Dick's , can't seem to locate where Monderosa's is with the best burgers? That sounds like a good place to stop at on the way to Denali for late lunch or early dinner.

What's there to see in Nenana ?

For Denali, so you are saying we can drive in 12 miles with our car to the Wilderness Access Center. Then take the shuttle $50. the next 50 miles to Stoney Hill Overlook. Do you need to buy tickets ahead of time to take the shuttles in?