Naturalists on Alaska cruises

Langham1865

I want to cruise to Alaska and I am Platinum in NCL... I’m looking at other lines and can only do a week for work reasons. Does anyone have insight on naturalists on any other lines? I have heard great things about HAL and Princess bus haven’t found reliable info on naturalists on resent (last year or so) for week cruises. Any insight will help... thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Princess has naturalists on all their ships. The naturalists are high quality including some noted writers and "explorers" Nor sure about HAL as I haven't been on a HAL ship in a number of years. If your ship goes to Glacier Bay, the Park Rangers will get on and do a program and commentary for the day as well as man a floating ranger station on board.

Celebrity also has naturalists on their Alaskan itineraries (and a few other itineraries as well, such as South American ones). One of the most popular Celebrity employed naturalists is Brent Nixon, who, if my memory is correct, was lured away from Princess several years ago.

Princess has naturalists on all their ships. The naturalists are high quality including some noted writers and "explorers" Nor sure about HAL as I haven't been on a HAL ship in a number of years. If your ship goes to Glacier Bay, the Park Rangers will get on and do a program and commentary for the day as well as man a floating ranger station on board.

Thank you... Do all ships, regardless of lines get a park ranger in Glacier Bay? I am currently booked on the Norwegain Bliss, about to go into her inaugural season and designed for Alaska itineraries (mostly a special observation deck). I have an Aft Balcony and am Platinum on NCL. Just trying to decide if a naturalist, aside from a Park Ranger, will make enough difference to change lines. I have nothing against other lines, but get some loyalty perks and like not having to dress up for a formal night. I am willing to dress up if its worth it in other ways. Again... thanks for the insight.

Thank you... Do all ships, regardless of lines get a park ranger in Glacier Bay? I am currently booked on the Norwegain Bliss, about to go into her inaugural season and designed for Alaska itineraries (mostly a special observation deck). I have an Aft Balcony and am Platinum on NCL. Just trying to decide if a naturalist, aside from a Park Ranger, will make enough difference to change lines. I have nothing against other lines, but get some loyalty perks and like not having to dress up for a formal night. I am willing to dress up if its worth it in other ways. Again... thanks for the insight.

As Glacier Bay is a National Park, I believe it's a requirement.

I found it nice, but not enough to sway you one way over another. Are you booked on the Bliss this coming season? She's only going to Glacier Bay this year unless I got seriously screwed. She's going next year I believe. So no, I wouldn't switch just for a park ranger. If you're Platinum, you're sailing again. So just do the Bliss again when she sails to Glacier Bay in a year. Use this trip as a trial run for learning the ship.

As Glacier Bay is a National Park, I believe it's a requirement.

I found it nice, but not enough to sway you one way over another. Are you booked on the Bliss this coming season? She's only going to Glacier Bay this year unless I got seriously screwed. She's going next year I believe. So no, I wouldn't switch just for a park ranger. If you're Platinum, you're sailing again. So just do the Bliss again when she sails to Glacier Bay in a year. Use this trip as a trial run for learning the ship.

I double checked and she is going Sawyer Glacier/Tracy arm this year not Glacier Bay... so no park ranger.

Aft balcony is the first priority. A naturalist (not just Park Ranger) would be nice, but not sure if its worth switching to another line and giving up the perks...but getting Glacier Bay

Actually those are "naturists".

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Good point. And while I support nude areas on ships for those that want to enjoy them, even I would draw the line at an Alaskan cruise!

Although I know C/O cruises to AK have been done. Come to think of it, there is one scheduled for June I think.

On the Alaska cruise we took on the Grand Princess, they had a professor from Sacramento State doing enrichment talks throughout the cruise. I believe his name was Greg Wheeler. He was actually a geologist and had a great way of explaining how the land up there was formed as well as glacial history.

In Glacier Bay, the park rangers come aboard for the day so it doesn't really matter which line you're on there.