Onboard Spending Cruise Day Credits Counting Toward Mariner Status

stickey_mouse

I was wondering this too. My points were just posted to my account, and they seemed high compared to what I thought I spent pre-cruise and during the cruise. Because the final bill doesn't show any of your pre-cruise purchases, it isn't clear to me what they're including. I also had some credits I wasn't expecting to see, which I thought would reduce my bonus cruise days. Now I am really curious -- I think I'm going to go do the math! Great way to spend my Saturday... :p

any credits you have do not deduct from the amount used for Mariner Points. Spending is all that counts, it doesn't matter if the money to pay from it came from you, your TA or HAL

I had a very pleasant surprise on my South Pacific cruise when I ended up with 16 days of extra days of credit from spending. I certainly did not spend that much (although with a 22 day cruise, I spent a good bit), and realized what happened was that I got credit from my cabin mate's spending because the cabin was booked in my name only. So I am now at 240 days, although that is still a long way from 500 days for 5*, and with not being retired, I imagine, it will be at least 10 more years or more unless I hit the lottery and get to retire way sooner than I expect. Fortunately, the 5* benefits aren't anything I really need-free laundry is what I have been looking forward to for years!

any credits you have do not deduct from the amount used for Mariner Points. Spending is all that counts, it doesn't matter if the money to pay from it came from you, your TA or HAL

I agree - in fact on one cruise I thought they might have given credit twice - e.g. $300 in OBC = 1 day, spend the $300 OBC = 1 more day!

I am waiting with bated breath for our latest mariner update! On our 21 days on Koningsdam in January, we had $950 in OBC plus pre-paid gratuities, we booked 2 tours ahead of time, and reserved 6 Pinnacle dinners and 12 Tamarind dinners. Once on board we had half the Tamarind dinner costs refunded, plus all the Pinnacle dinners, also we had some port fees refunded. We spent all our OBC and just ended up owing HAL a little over $100. I don't know how they are going to figure it all out. I certainly can't!

Sorry, I wasn't referring to cruise credits (like when they give you $100 OBC), There is a credit back to me on my final-statement, strangely it was for unused laundry and some port charges. I'm not sure why I would get either. Especially the laundry service -- I used that every single day of the cruise!

Sorry, I wasn't referring to cruise credits (like when they give you $100 OBC), There is a credit back to me on my final-statement, strangely it was for unused laundry and some port charges. I'm not sure why I would get either. Especially the laundry service -- I used that every single day of the cruise!

those credits do not affect the credits you have earned. The port credit at the end of the cruise is usually due to lowered port taxes charged at port(s). It can also be due to missing a port but I have always seen that credited right away.

Unsure about your laundry charge unless they inadvertantly charged too much at the beginning? Haven't seen that one before ;)

In my experience, spending is all that counts. Reason for the credit does not matter. In addition, HAL is very generous rounding up.