A Princess Cays Mystery!

caribbean2000

I will be checking out Princess Cays early next month. I'm really excited to check out the grave site and it looks like others from the boards will be joining me in the quest. How is the island for rock climbing/exploration. I'm really into walking and hiking and walking through "untamed" grounds...places that only a few people cover. Any ideas that would include the graves?

Well everyone I have decided to contact the archive department of the Bahamas and bring them to awareness of our inquiry and I hope to hear from them soon to see what they have to say about the tombs.

Here is the link for the site I found that I would think would handle this inquiry.

http://www.bahamasnationalarchives.bs/index.html

Paul

...oops can't do it...too big a file according to the upload info when I tried. Never figured out how to resize photo files, sorry! Send me an e-mail and I'll attach and send. I'm at:

capefisherman01 (at) yahoo (dot) com

Gene

go to:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

After you install the plug in you will be able to right click on any picture and have an option to re-size. Very easy.

I did some Google searches on the names "Gibson" and "McPhee" and found that they are both common names on Eleuthera. Several key educators and one famous song-writer were Gibsons and McPhees. Here is a blurb from a Bahamas history site:

"Savannah Sound, a relatively small settlement, is situated 16 miles east of Governor’s Harbour between Tarpum Bay and Palmetto Point.

Savannah Sound was peopled originally by the Gibson, Culmers and Bullards. This settlement is well known for the number of teachers and musicians who were born there. Among these were Timothy Gibson, teacher and song writer, who wrote several songs about The Bahamas, including our present National Anthem - “March on Bahamaland.” Also, it is said that in every Government Ministry in country there is someone who descended from Savannah Sound"

Found a carribbean geneology site, run by a Laurell Gibson and am sending her an email to see if she knows anything about our gravesite.

I will be there next week ,and like I said before I'll write down all the names and dates from the stones that I can make out.

This is so cool! Another adventure to our cruise. I'll update you guys when I get back.

Thanks a million guys for telling me about these greaves; it's like Christmas for us Genealogy nerds. :O)

I did some Google searches on the names "Gibson" and "McPhee" and found that they are both common names on Eleuthera. Several key educators and one famous song-writer were Gibsons and McPhees. Here is a blurb from a Bahamas history site:

"Savannah Sound, a relatively small settlement, is situated 16 miles east of Governor’s Harbour between Tarpum Bay and Palmetto Point.

Savannah Sound was peopled originally by the Gibson, Culmers and Bullards. This settlement is well known for the number of teachers and musicians who were born there. Among these were Timothy Gibson, teacher and song writer, who wrote several songs about The Bahamas, including our present National Anthem - “March on Bahamaland.” Also, it is said that in every Government Ministry in country there is someone who descended from Savannah Sound"

Found a carribbean geneology site, run by a Laurell Gibson and am sending her an email to see if she knows anything about our gravesite.

Wow! Way-to-dig! :rolleyes:

Great info, keep us posted please.

• 1 month later...

I was on the island, walked towards the graves....AND FOUND THEM!!! I also went ahead, found nice large shells and put them on top of each grave. If anyone goes and you find old large shells that seem to be filled with concrete sand, those are mine :) It's definitely something cool to check out and gives you a tingly feeling when you're around them. Also, keep walking past the graves after you visit...there will be a road that goes inland and you'll find a burnt stone church (I imagine it was a catholic church...check this out).

Abandoned%20Church%20Inside%202.JPG

Thanks Jackaryman,

There is definitely more than meet the eye on Princess Cays!

I doubt it was a catholic church though as Eleuthera was first settled by Puritans who were fleeing persecution in Britain and the Bermuda then by Loyalists from the US. Might be inteesting to enquire...

• 1 month later...

I too am very interested in this. Old graveyards is sort of a hobby of mine. Anyways... check out

http://www.eleutheraliving.com/settlement.com

There are several photos of the settlements and if you look at Bannerman Town you will see photos of this old church and the graveyard as well. They are near or part of Lighthouse point. The only thing I could find on Lighthouse point is that it is all owned by one man and he is in his 80's and it has been left alone.

The only thing I know about Eleuthera was what I learned from a young woman from there who was attending college in our city. She came to our house, and since she was attending my alma mater, and since we've been to Princess Cays, I was interested in her description of life there. It was not an idyllic picture, many of the young people yearn for a way out, it was very poor, drinking is a problem especially with the young people and high crime. All of this is not inconsistent with dying young, unfortunately. That's my story.

Bill

This gets more and more interesting ~ a few years ago we walked a short distance to the right and came to a lot of coral rocks that made the going rough. If we go in search of the graves, I would think it would be necessary to wear some sturdy, closed shoes. Those of you that have made the trip, are there any tips you wish to share?

Other things I found on various sites were that there are apparently some very exclusive resort areas on Eleuthera that are frequented by "the Royals". It said that Prince Charles and Princess Diana used to frequent the area. If you look at the map, there are quite a few "town" areas further towards the center of the island. I guess I didn't realize that it had such a rich history. I've been there three times and always thought it was just this remote little place. We're due to go back April 07 and I will definately wander around instead of staying right at Princess Cays.

• 1 year later...

Hello Everyone,

First of all I am no expert, but a retired American living on Eleuthera.......and, in fact, we are booked on the CB 23 December. I guess that we will see the Princess Cays from another angle!!

The Princess Cays are on the southern tip of the island, next to Bannerman Town. To the south of the Cay is the area that housed the original manned lighthouse, the remains of which are still there. Today, it is electronic. You won't see many folks on those beaches, since it is a 4.5 mile drive off the main road.

As was earlier stated, the island was and still is very poor in many aspects. When the Loyalists in the US realized the south was going to fall many packed up their entire plantations, slaves and all, and headed to the British ruled Bahamas. After failing miserably here, most freed their slaves, gave portions of land to them, and returned to England. Many assumed their last names, thus there are a lot of very common sur names.

With such remoteness, many natives here died young........even today, with any serious illness, you have to be med evac'd to Nassau or the US. Most cemetaries are close to the beach because the islands are made of limestone, making it virtually impossible to dig a grave. The only ground that can be dug is on the beach.....unfortunately over time, hurricanes take their toll. It is still tradition here that the family is responsible for physically digging the grave.

Listening to the old timers here, back in the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, Eleuthera was truly a hideaway of the stars and celebrities. Besides the US Naval Base, there were three primary resorts, French Leave, Cotton Bay Club (Juan Tripp from Pan Am), Pot Latch Club, all of which have gone by the way. Nixon played many a golf game here with his side kick Bebe Rebozzo. The Royals vacationed here regularly on Windemere Island. The last was Princess Diana.

There are attempts to re-vitalize resorts using the same names, but as of yet, none have materialized.

Sorry, this has run on and on..........I just ran across the thread. Unfortunately, the history of the islands is very scant, at best. I'm afraid that the personal stories will be lost, because the young are not interested, and the old are dying.

Just wanted to share a few thoughts with everyone.

If anyone does make the walk down there, I'm sure you'll be struck as I was by how wild and beautiful and remote and lonely it feels, all at the same time, so close to hustle and bustle of the Princess Cays area around the point only a mile or so away.

Gene

You're right. I walked around the point, but it was so isolated with not another soul in sight. (No pun intended - really!)

If you look it up on Google Earth now you can see some one has added a picture of the graves.

I uploaded that pic awhile ago when the thread was current (in 2006)

Thought it would be a nice supplement to those researching the P Cays.

Wubbat, thank you very much! After visiting Princess Cays on 2 occassions, I decided to do some research on the island. Many people think that Princess Cays in the only thing on the island! Its a shame, after researching it and looking through some pictures and history, the island seems so beautiful and quaint. I understand it is very poor, like many other island communities. I am sure the island is scattered with interesting stories like this one.

I found your story fascinating. Please tell us more. How did you come to that island? What is it like living on such a small and remote island? Are there towns of any size? I noticed there are 2 airports on the island, that seems strange. What is the housing like? Do you own a car? Are there many American's there? Wow, sorry I can't seem to stop. I don't mean to pry, but I'm living out my fantasy of just not getting back on the ship and staying in one of these islands. I grew up watching Gilligan's Island, so forgive me!

Thanks.

Is there a direct link to this Google page you've found? I'll have to check it out while in PC next fall. The walk sounds nice! ;)

Cemeteries are found everywhere, so nothing unusual about this one IMHO. We stayed at a beach house that had a slave cemetery right next to the house. That was spooky at night! :eek:

I have attached a photo that I took in Maui of an old ocean side cemetery.

dsc004721gt.jpg

Not only are there graves on beaches, but think of all of those people that have died at sea, bodies thrown overboard....And the fishies ate.

But remember at the second coming of Christ, the dead will rise out of that sea...

Something to think about.

I would like to venture out while at Princess Cays this September 17 and see these graves myself.