A Princess Cays Mystery!

caribbean2000

• 10 months later...

Bringing back a dead thread...has anyone else got more info on this? Some of the graves look somewhat covered or uncovered (depends on how you look at it) with sand. Are there alot of graves? Its very interesting.

If your heading out to Princess Cays and want an adventure...check it out. I wont be there until my cruise in spring of 2010. :(

You reminded me of my honeymoon, in 1989, we flew to Eleuthera and took a small boat over to Harbour Island and spent a week at the Coral Sands Hotel....Harbour Island has no motor vehicles so we rented a few motorized bikes and explored the island which is only about 3 miles long by 1/2 mile wide....while exploring we came across the foundation of an old , very large house. While walking on the inside we found our names written on the inside of the building with spray paint ..... a large heart with __________+__________ inside. We were asbsolutely stunned but then got a call a few days later from one of our wedding party members. who had known we were going there and had actually been there a few months before and did this in hopes we would find it....today though I still don't know how they knew we would go to this remote part of the island .....but both islands are so beautiful , I wish there were a way to visit more of Eleuthera instead of just Princess Cays. Also,if you ever have the opportunity to get to Harbour Island take it!

.....but both islands are so beautiful , I wish there were a way to visit more of Eleuthera instead of just Princess Cays. Also,if you ever have the opportunity to get to Harbour Island take it!

It wouldn't surprise me if one of these days Princess starts offering shore excursions to other parts of the island. It could be a new source of revenue for them.:rolleyes:

Also,if you ever have the opportunity to get to Harbour Island take it!
We have...in the mid 70's. We rented a home near Dunmore Town, for two weeks. Loved the isolation and beauty but now a good part of what was a lazy way of life has now been taken over by condos.

Is this for real or a story someone made up?

If you read through, you will see photos of the graves, you can see the princess ship in the background on one. I think its interesting. They said the graves are bout 1/2 mile down (south end), but I do remember reading somewhere in here that at one point, you have to climb over some rocky shoreline. There was an old story that at the northern tip of this island, people would flash lights and the ships, thinking it was a lighthouse in the night, would crash there and then the people would try to siege the ship. I dont know if its true, but I find it interesting that there are graves at the opposite end...maybe people were trying to hide and some died there. who knows...wish someone had the answers to this mysterious grave site. It almost reminds me of the movie "Fools Gold" that came out...maybe there is an old library on the island with records of the people that died there. Wouldnt that be funny?

• 1 year later...
Bringing back a dead thread...has anyone else got more info on this? Some of the graves look somewhat covered or uncovered (depends on how you look at it) with sand. Are there alot of graves? Its very interesting.

If your heading out to Princess Cays and want an adventure...check it out. I wont be there until my cruise in spring of 2010. :(

If you read through, you will see photos of the graves, you can see the princess ship in the background on one. I think its interesting. They said the graves are bout 1/2 mile down (south end), but I do remember reading somewhere in here that at one point, you have to climb over some rocky shoreline. There was an old story that at the northern tip of this island, people would flash lights and the ships, thinking it was a lighthouse in the night, would crash there and then the people would try to siege the ship. I dont know if its true, but I find it interesting that there are graves at the opposite end...maybe people were trying to hide and some died there. who knows...wish someone had the answers to this mysterious grave site. It almost reminds me of the movie "Fools Gold" that came out...maybe there is an old library on the island with records of the people that died there. Wouldnt that be funny?

I have about 5 and 1/2 months till I get to finally visit this mystery grave site. I sure wish we had more information on the people who died there. I really find this so interesting.

Thanks for posting this "old" thread!! We will be there in 18 days, because there are 7 in our group and we were trying to be frugal and were planning on making PC a "water day" this will be a great adventure for those of us that don't want to just sit or swim all day!!!:D

Guys, when you are looking on Google Earth put a check mark next to panoramio in the layers section.

This will bring up little squares on your Google Earth pane that are actual pictures. When you place your cursor over the little squares you will get the label of the picture, go down to the one that is labeled "PrincessGraves" and that is the graves that are the issue of this thread.

Jim

You could try Ancestry.com. Do a regular search with the info. you have and then also do a separate search under "Family Trees". There may be someone else who has made a family tree that they are a part of.

Another idea is to write the city council of Eleuthera (if there is such a thing - may be called something different there since it's roots are English).

The best idea is to actually talk with an "oldtimer" on the island. Ask around next time you're there and the locals will point you in the right direction. There's nothing like getting info. straight from someone who knew them or possibly was even alive when they were.

Good luck! I love a good hunt for information! ;)

We found the Graves last year on our visit to Princess Cays, there is an unmade road that you can also follow to the Graves that can be found to the rear of the volleyball court which is to the Right and behind the Toilet block as you look at the Cays.... however the photo`s on Google earth that show the Graves are in the wrong place! the Graves are a little further South of where the picture is posted.

Around 2 weeks ago we once again passed by the Graves on our way down to Lighthouse point at the end of Eleuthera which is a 3 mile walk along the many beaches and involves some minor climbing for which decent footwear is needed.... the effort to get there is worth it to see the Pink sand and only your own footprints all the way along the last beach.

We took a map printed from Google Earth and followed the unmade road back to Princess Cays, again this walk requires decent footwear.... do not attempt this walk either way in Sandals.

Edited by sidari

We found the Graves last year on our visit to Princess Cays, there is an unmade road that you can also follow to the Graves that can be found to the rear of the volleyball court which is to the Right and behind the Toilet block as you look at the Cays.... however the photo`s on Google earth that show the Graves are in the wrong place! the Graves are a little further South of where the picture is posted.

Around 2 weeks ago we once again passed by the Graves on our way down to Lighthouse point at the end of Eleuthera which is a 3 mile walk along the many beaches and involves some minor climbing for which decent footwear is needed.... the effort to get there is worth it to see the Pink sand and only your own footprints all the way along the last beach.

We took a map printed from Google Earth and followed the unmade road back to Princess Cays, again this walk requires decent footwear.... do not attempt this walk either way in Sandals.

Those pictures are beautiful!! I would love to go to Lighthouse Point. Would you say it is easy to get lost trying to get there? Or should you just follow the beaches south?

Edited by ulcards99