A Princess Cays Mystery!

caribbean2000

My dw and I heard of this mystery years ago and attempted to find the site of the graves on our first trip to Pc. We were unsuccessful and wrote it off as a hoax. Now we know better and will find them on our trip in Feb./10on the Emerald.

Ps. When was Princess Cays first established ?

Jack

I was on a Norweigen private island and Norweigen built stuff on the island for cruise passengers to find while exploring... I wouldn't be surprised if this was done by Princess just as an attractions and something to get us excited about..

Just my 2 cents

sharkman

I was on a Norweigen private island and Norweigen built stuff on the island for cruise passengers to find while exploring... I wouldn't be surprised if this was done by Princess just as an attractions and something to get us excited about..

Just my 2 cents

sharkman

I'm sorry you feel this way, but I have been to the site and it is NOT as you suggest. It is not part of the Princess area and would be difficult to get to for most older or tender footed cruise passengers. Feel free to look at the pictures I posted earlier in this thread. The reason for the location is because the island is very rocky and it was impossible to dig down deep enough by hand anywhere but at the edge of the ocean in the old days. Now, with modern equipment, it is not an issue which is why you don't see this anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

We too found the graves because of these postings. We travelled from Southampton on the Grand Princess at the end of September 2010 and found some heart shaped volcanic stones in Iceland. As we were on a B2B we kept these stones and when we arrived in Princess Cays we took a walk and managed to find them then placed these stones on the top of each grave. Whilst we were there a local guy had just caught a large lobster with a spear and appeared out of the water, we asked him about them but he didnt seem to know much. My DH asked him about the population of the area and it seemed quite small, he also asked could they then be any relation to him and he accepted that they might be but I think he was just being polite, and friendly, all in all I am glad we found them but it was probably 3/4 hr walk and also on an iner path that runs alongside the sea. Sorry we can't add more to this saga, we did try.

IMG_6107.jpg.c4676baf9569ecde7f955fded90d7a96.jpg

IMG_6106.jpg.607d16c36a3715fbf9c880583aec6868.jpg

IMG_6108.jpg.db64cc3e3abe993bca98c5eea260469e.jpg

• 1 month later...

This really is just a very touching thread. It's really nice that people are interested in walking back to the graves to pay their respects (and of course there is the curiousity aspect, too). I used to be scared of cemeteries and now they just give me a peaceful feeling. I love to read the headstones and think about how old the people were when they passed and then say a little prayer for them. It would be nice to think that someday some strangers might stand over your grave and pay their respects when they don't even know you. I'm definitely going to try to check these out when we're there in April. My husband and I were just there at Thanksgiving and Princess Cays was just wonderful. We never thought we'd enjoy the private island so we didn't leave a lot of time for spending over there, but we both loved it and can't wait to go back. We'll definitely save a little extra time for a stroll. Safe sailing everyone!!

This really is just a very touching thread. It's really nice that people are interested in walking back to the graves to pay their respects (and of course there is the curiosity aspect, too). I used to be scared of cemeteries and now they just give me a peaceful feeling. I love to read the headstones and think about how old the people were when they passed and then say a little prayer for them. It would be nice to think that someday some strangers might stand over your grave and pay their respects when they don't even know you. I'm definitely going to try to check these out when we're there in April. My husband and I were just there at Thanksgiving and Princess Cays was just wonderful. We never thought we'd enjoy the private island so we didn't leave a lot of time for spending over there, but we both loved it and can't wait to go back. We'll definitely save a little extra time for a stroll. Safe sailing everyone!!

The Graves on Princess Cays are of strangers but your post reminded me of a poem I came across a long time ago.

I'm big in to Genealogy and I find it fascinating to search, locate and visit cemeteries to pay my respects to my Ancestors from hundreds of years ago.

Dear Ancestor

Author Unknown

Your tombstone stands among the rest;

Neglected and alone.

The name and date are chiseled out

On polished, marbled stone.

It reaches out to all who care

It is too late to mourn.

You did not know that I exist

You died and I was born.

Yet each of us are cells of you

In flesh, in blood, in bone.

Our blood contracts and beats a pulse

Entirely not our own.

Dear Ancestor, the place you filled

One hundred years or so ago

Spreads out among the ones you left

Who would have loved you so.

I wonder if you lived and loved,

I wonder if you knew

That someday I would find this spot,

And come to visit you.

We will also be there in April arriving on the Grand Princess on April 10. We plan to locate the graves and pay our respects.

• 1 month later...

I remembered this thread a while back and because we are heading here on the Emerald in late March wanted to look it up again. We are going to take the walk and visit those graves and pay our respects.

Cruise Duck that is the best poem I have read in a long time. Thank you for posting it. It fits so well.

I remembered this thread a while back and because we are heading here on the Emerald in late March wanted to look it up again. We are going to take the walk and visit those graves and pay our respects.

Cruise Duck that is the best poem I have read in a long time. Thank you for posting it. It fits so well.

It is a nice walk. I plan on revisiting it again in March 2012- I know it will still be there.:)

• 1 month later...

okay -- please help!!! We got off the ship -- faced the island from the dock and walked along the shore going RIGHT. We got all the way around the corner -- tough going -- got rocky -- and could not find the rocks -- can someone please help us -- the directions say to go past the volleyball courts -- but there are courts to the right and to the left.

The history of this island is interesting! My wife and I will be their in 5 weeks on the Ruby. I am bringing my new Mine lab metal detector along with me on the cruise. I contacted Princes about bringing the detector on the ship and they said no problem. I would be interested in using it in areas around old foundations on the island. No telling what I may find!. With all the reports regarding ship wrecks off the island I may even find a old coin or two.

I wonder Crotchityoldman, did you ever find anything with your metal detector? I know it has been a long time since you posted but maybe you will check back. Very curious about finding forgotten treasures!

Princess offers a tour of the lovely island of Eultheria(sp). My DH and I took it last November. It is sort of pricey, but it was a wonderful tour. Outside of Princess Cay, the Island is very clean. Most of the homes have space between them, and are neat and painted in cheerful colors. It was the cleannest Caribbean Island I have seen.

The people are very religious. Our driver and the two guides we had showed us many churches. Those graves could be the remains of a old church.

The tour goes to Wendemere Beach" It passes Turpoling Springs? I cannot remember the names, but each little village competes in the Big Christman Parade...the Junkenny..and on the Princess Tour..after a nice lunch at a clean restaurant, they show you the dances. The Tour guides..showed us how to weave straw as in for hats...and really narrated an interesting view of the Island.

I was totally impressed. Both by the people..and the beauty of the Island. WHO knew all of that was behind..or above..Princess' private Island?

okay -- please help!!! We got off the ship -- faced the island from the dock and walked along the shore going RIGHT. We got all the way around the corner -- tough going -- got rocky -- and could not find the rocks -- can someone please help us -- the directions say to go past the volleyball courts -- but there are courts to the right and to the left.

From what I remember, I havent read this in a while, but I followed it for quite a while. I remember many people writing here that you need to wear good shoes because you have to PASS a really rocky spot in order to finally get to the graves. Now, I also read on this thread that you can walk along the road to get there, but I dont know how you would know you arrived. I was thinking in this thread was a google earth map. Id read back and see if you can get more info. Ive read its a really long walk though.

Facing the island, I believe you go wayyyy to the right. I want to say I read 3 miles. Could be wrong.

Okay. When you get off the ship and are on land, you turn right, go over the little bridge and all the way down the beach to the rocky point (200m??). That is the end of Princess beach area. The beach is then very rocky and we found it easier to move inland about 10m to a small dirt road. Continue following that southward, parallel to the beach for another 100m or so. You then work you way back out to the beach (you are now past the really rocky part) and another 20m and you will see the grave site to your left, right at the edge of the beach/woods.

From what I remember, I havent read this in a while, but I followed it for quite a while. I remember many people writing here that you need to wear good shoes because you have to PASS a really rocky spot in order to finally get to the graves. Now, I also read on this thread that you can walk along the road to get there, but I dont know how you would know you arrived. I was thinking in this thread was a google earth map. Id read back and see if you can get more info. Ive read its a really long walk though.

Facing the island, I believe you go wayyyy to the right. I want to say I read 3 miles. Could be wrong.

It's actually only about 1 mile from where you get off the boats but it takes awhile to get around rocks and such.

Edited by friedshrimp

Thanks so much! We will give it a try in January I guess we just did not walk far enough.

If you look at my post #165, the first pic show the south end of the Princess beach and the point I'm referring to. It's about another 300m past that point, either by the beach (with very good water shoes on) or via the road about 10m up from the beach (once you hit the rocky part of the beach, water shoes also help here as well). After about 100m or so on the road, you'll need to get back to the beach, the purpose of the road is to avoid the worst rocky part of the beach. I was able to do this barefoot but stepped on a few cuckleberries (ouch).

We have been to Princess Cays 3 times and have yet to find it -guess we will have to keep going back.

We did ask several people for directions and did get several different answers. No matter, the island is beautiful and we enjoyed the walk. :o

It is easier to find by walking close to the beach. It's a bit rough, but not too bad. Then take the "road" back.

I don't know how easy it is to see from the road. Walking along the water, it's easy to see.

Good luck!

It is easier to find by walking close to the beach. It's a bit rough, but not too bad. Then take the "road" back.

I don't know how easy it is to see from the road. Walking along the water, it's easy to see.

Good luck!

I know I couldn't see the road (dirt path) from the grave site but I don't know if the grave site can be seen from the road. I only used the road to get around the very rocky part of the beach since I was barefoot. With water shoes, I too probably would have stayed on the beach.