A Princess Cays Mystery!

caribbean2000

Thanks so much for taking and posting all those great pictures. That will really be a help when we make the trip ourselves in March.

I've followed this thread for a long time, and was really sad to see the deterioration that resulted from a recent storm. It appears that these two graves may not be around too much longer, unless someone does something to repair the damage.

And this was the first time I heard that there were other graves as well, just a little further down the beach. Your pictures don't show headstones - any indication of who they might belong to? That information might make it easier to research all of the graves, for those who are interested in the history of the island.

Question: Approximately how long did your hike take, from the time you got off the tender until the time you returned to it? If you stayed on the island for lunch, or whatever, factor out that time - I'm trying to determine how much time I should allow, if I plan to do it at a nice leisurely pace.

Thanks again! Great pictures!!!:)

Question: Approximately how long did your hike take, from the time you got off the tender until the time you returned to it? If you stayed on the island for lunch, or whatever, factor out that time - I'm trying to determine how much time I should allow, if I plan to do it at a nice leisurely pace.

Thanks again! Great pictures!!!:)

been years since we walked over because of this thread's inspiration, but it's under a kilometer

Edited by A Sixth?

Hello all! Sorry this took so long to post, things have been pretty hectic since returning from our cruise. We made the walk to the graves on 1/13 and I took pictures along the way so everyone could see the route. The pictures can be seen at the following link. I captioned some of them to explain the steps along the way!

https://picasaweb.google.com/105438267705423735242/WalkToGravesAtPrincessCaysJan132012?authkey=Gv1sRgCKGfi761orz5HQ&noredirect=1

As stated before, the graves are in the same (albeit rough) condition as in past pictures. It took us about 30-40 minutes to get there, but we were taking our time and stopping to take pictures and enjoy the scenery. At no point were we uncomfortable or worried about our safety. It's an absolutely fantastic adventure if you ask me.

Enjoy!

Great pictures! We have never taken that walk, but I might next time....

Mike

:)Wow is all I can say. Have been to PC only once and missed a stop there once. We are new to the cruising game but have become quickly hooked. My husband likes to have a purpose for a walk and thanks to you all we now have one! Can't wait until the first week of April when we will try the trek. Dan thank you for your slide show it is what has me inspired!

One of the great things about cruising are the interesting people you meet as indicated by this thread. Thanks

The report that there are two grave is wrong. There are at least ten!

As promised here are a few snaps!

Don

Thank you Don for posting the photo... I'll be sure to try and locate them on my next stop to Princess Cays.

• 3 weeks later...

Been meaning to post on this since I got back from sailing on the Crown three weeks ago. I made it out to the graves again, and it seems that one of them is now missing its headstone. Perhaps when I get a chance to do so I can post some updated photos, but the graves have definitely seen better days.

Been meaning to post on this since I got back from sailing on the Crown three weeks ago. I made it out to the graves again, and it seems that one of them is now missing its headstone. Perhaps when I get a chance to do so I can post some updated photos, but the graves have definitely seen better days.

That's really sad to hear about. I read this entire thread and as I kept reading and looking at pictures, the headstones just kept looking more and more deteriorated. Regardless, I'm still going to visit when I'm in Princess Cays next month.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures!

• 1 month later...

We made the trip on March 23rd, 2012. There is not much left of the cemetery. Mirtle's grave still has the headstone, but there are no others visible. Lots of stacked rocks, but they look like wall, maybe a foundation. If you make the trekk, be sure to take some drinking water, it was hot and sunny that day.

Picture attached.

MirtleGibsonGrave.jpg.d90ed2e339e3fd93b601358a7e621f4c.jpg

Tombstone1.jpg.466dbc3d15c1cce1f2b83e2023b17466.jpg

• 3 months later...

I will be returning to Princess Cays on December 30th, it is unfortunate that the storms have played a part in the quick deterioration. I hope to take this walk again with family and friends who will be first time cruisers.

I too am curious if anyone has taken a look into what send to be a basement of that cable building.

I will be returning to Princess Cays on December 30th, it is unfortunate that the storms have played a part in the quick deterioration. I hope to take this walk again with family and friends who will be first time cruisers.

I too am curious if anyone has taken a look into what send to be a basement of that cable building.

I'll be back in March. I admit I've read about the "building" but haven't found it. How far past the Grave markers is it? Is it also about as close to the beach or more inland.

TIA

I've been reluctant to post this for quite a while because I would hate to see what I'm about to tell you about be disrespected. But after as much research as I've been able to do with absolutely nothing found, I thought I'd put it out there and maybe someone has an answer. Last April when we stopped at Princess Cays on our cruise on the Star Princess, I decided to take a walk. We've visited PC a couple of times before, and I wanted to see what the beach was like to the south of the Princess area. I knew from previous visits that it was very rocky initially and that sandals were needed to get past the rocks - I'm sure this is why there were no footprints on the beach after I got past the rocks. I walked for about a half mile, then noticed a clearing in the bushes above the beach and what appeared to be the remains of a foundation of a house. And there were two other cement structures. When I walked up to them I realized they were graves! They are very crude, above the ground, with barely legible, crude round cement markers attached. Now here's what I would really like to know. The names on each were of women, one who died at about age 19 in late 1930's, the other who died at age 26 a couple of years later. The last names were not the same, but judging from how they were set at a certain angle very close to the edge of the beach, right next to each other, I had to conclude that they must have known each other and been buried that way in that location for reason. Other people had obviously discovered them, because a few shells and pieces of coral had been placed on the graves out of respect, I imagine. What could this mean? How did they die at such a young age, and why were they placed together in that spot? I tried to do as much research as possible about the history of Eluethera and discover anything about these women but came up totally empty. For what it's worth, if you zoom in on that end of Eluethera (Princess Cays) on Google Earth, you can make out the remains of a road and the clearing, but it appears to overgrown and not used. So...at the very least I think this has the makings of a good novel! In any case, if anyone reading this does make the walk down and find the graves, please be respectful. Any information anyone might have is appreciated.

Gene

you being a man this thought would not come to you first" birthing no doc no care if they needed cescarian section no equiptment to do it or if they tried infection set in. a lot of women and babies die But it could have been fever too but most likley birthing problems.:(

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if there are any remains even left in those grave sites. If it is a area that is really susceptable to flooding or very close to sea level, they may do like they do in the southern states and raise the grave which these look like has been done but looks like they are missing a top.

• 3 months later...

I went to Princess Cays on 11-11-12, and had been looking forward to seeing the graves for quite a while since I first read this thread. I was worried that Hurricane Sandy would have wiped them out completely. I am happy to report they are still there, though one is much more damaged while the other remains somewhat intact.

I don't know how the beach situation was before Sandy but you cannot walk barefoot on this stretch of beach. Even Teva-like sandals are a stretch. You need really sturdy water shoes. The rocks are very jagged. Also, the hurricane pushed some sand up and over the access road, so while you can still walk it, in some parts you can't even tell a road was there anymore, and in other parts the grass is so high that if you're allergic to anything touching your skin, you may want to think twice about taking the road.

If you take the beach route, you cannot miss the graves, especially now since they're getting closer and closer to the water with the beach erosion. You walk and walk and wonder, did I miss it somehow? Then all of a sudden there they are!

Also, I didn't realize, but there are TWO cable landing buildings, not just one (this may have been mentioned before), the second one being just around the bend from the first, and they are pretty much identical.

I thought about going down in the basement of the first one, but as I was taking photos inside the first building, then looking at my camera screen to try to figure out what the little things were on the electrical box, I quickly realized they were the beginnings of several wasp nests! There were no wasps in them when I was there, either that or I had not disturbed them enough to wake them... anyway, I got the heck out of there, so beware of those! Also, a tree is growing right in the doorway of the first building, making it difficult to get in there, and even more difficult getting out when you're mind is freaking out about wasp nests!

I'm glad this thread exists, it gave me something neat to do when on Princess Cays, and like other people have said, when you reach the graves (or walk even further as I did) it feels like you're the only one on the island!

I'm standing pretty much at water's edge in this photo, like I said you can't miss it if you're walking on the beach:

IMG_2249.jpg

Second grave is pretty much gone:

IMG_2252.jpg

IMG_2256.jpg

IMG_2250.jpg

Caribbean Princess from the beach while walking to the graves:

IMG_2242.jpg

IMG_2273.jpg

I'll post photos of the first Cable Landing building in a separate post.

Cable Landing building on 11-11-12 and foundation around it:

IMG_2269.jpg

IMG_2264.jpg

IMG_2266.jpg

This was near the Cable Landing building, not sure if it's another grave:

IMG_2265.jpg

Electrical Box inside the Cable Landing building, and those are all little wasp nests... doh!

IMG_2267.jpg

The photo that made me get heck out of there when I realized what those splotches were!

IMG_2268.jpg

Ok, I give up. I'm trying to find Eluethera and/ora Princess Cays with Google Earth and can't... Where exactly is it?

Eluthera is the Bahamas and a very distinct island. It is I believe the second place that Columbus discovered and looks like a hair pin; about 2 miles wide at its widest and 120 miles long

I miss the hammocks they used to have there. Now they have all those canana's all the way down the beach. I guess you can make money from cabana's and not from hammocks.

Christopher Columbus, a mercenary funded by Spain, virtually wiped out most of the Indian population of every Bahamian island with which he came into contact. He either killed them, or sold them to slavery.

The next phase of Bahamian history involves the Eleutheran Adventurers, English settlers who left Bermuda in 1647 searching for religious freedom. led by William Sayle. They formed the first British colony on the Island of Eleuthera and began a prosperous agricultural economy that still thrives today.

jolly.gif

Thank you so much for your pictures! We were there last March and planned to walk, but DH had surgery three weeks before our cruise and we didn't think it would be a good idea to be that far away from civilization. How long did it take to walk it? Someone before said that it was at least a 20 minutes, but didn't know if the hurricane had changed to terrain enough to make it slower.