A Princess Cays Mystery!

caribbean2000

I was just there in April and I can't believe how different they look! I wish I had my pictures here with me to compare. Even the rocks and shells that people had left on the graves are gone. It's almost like a big wave came through there. What a shame.:(

I've been following this thread for awhile, I have family roots from Rock Sound and I've stayed on the island before. My friend manages Cape Eleuthera Marina 18 Miles north of there (awesome place!!!). The island had a lot of damage from Hurricane Irene this year and the inside of Eleuthera, which is normally protected because its so shallow, where the graves are got the brunt of the storm. Probably just the one event because they were in really good shape before. I hope to get on a Princess ship soon so I can see everything you all have visited. Lighthouse point was the only place I didn't get to, its hard to get there by vehicle so I'm delighted you are all able to walk there.

• 2 weeks later...

The grave walk is the most interesting part of any of our visits to Princess Cays. We couldn't stop there last year because of the high seas and winds that made tendering dangerous.

Our visit in February will include walking down to the site again and seeing what shape the graves are in. I'm glad I have images from previous visits. Regardless, the walk is worth the effort.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, they really did change a lot in such a short time. They have been there for years and then just lately- wack.

I don't recall that break in the one grave. I guess Irene did her thing. We'll be back there in March- Emerald- so I'll do another walk there to see em first hand.

Nice walk with a bit of uniqueness.

Wow, they really did change a lot in such a short time. They have been there for years and then just lately- wack.

I don't recall that break in the one grave. I guess Irene did her thing. We'll be back there in March- Emerald- so I'll do another walk there to see em first hand.

Nice walk with a bit of uniqueness.

We will be there in March (Ruby), could you please give me specific directions to walk there? This is the only map I have for reference: http://beyondships.com/Princess-PrincessCays-map.html

Thank you!

I'm the person who started this thread back in 2005. Wow, almost 48,000 views, that is amazing. I've visited the graves a few times since then and it's sad to hear they are disintegrating. I still think this would make a GREAT subject for a novel. Who were these two ladies? Why did they die so young - and years apart - and who buried them in that spot, which was obviously significant to their lives? What was their relationship?

Guess I'll just have to move to the island and do a year or so of research and then start my novel! Again - as I said back in '05, if you go there, please be respectful.

See you at Princess Cays!

Gene

We will be there in March (Ruby), could you please give me specific directions to walk there? This is the only map I have for reference: http://beyondships.com/Princess-PrincessCays-map.html

Thank you!

There might be some better directions in this thread, but I'll try.

If you look at that map you can see the Marina- that's where you get off the tenders at. So just go right, past all the development and stick to the shore. I walked along the shore the whole way. I think it was 15 minutes or so, it's been a couple of years:o. You have to go past the coves. So don't think you missed it.

Now, there is a dirt road/path, that dumps somewhere near those volleyball courts, but I took that way back so I don't recall where it exactly comes in at. Also, if you use this road out, you may not be able to see the site due to vegetation. Plus, the scenery is a nicer by taking the "water" route. I wore water shoes. I don't suggest one goes barefoot.

I hope this helps.

There might be some better directions in this thread, but I'll try.

If you look at that map you can see the Marina- that's where you get off the tenders at. So just go right, past all the development and stick to the shore. I walked along the shore the whole way. I think it was 15 minutes or so, it's been a couple of years:o. You have to go past the coves. So don't think you missed it.

Now, there is a dirt road/path, that dumps somewhere near those volleyball courts, but I took that way back so I don't recall where it exactly comes in at. Also, if you use this road out, you may not be able to see the site due to vegetation. Plus, the scenery is a nicer by taking the "water" route. I wore water shoes. I don't suggest one goes barefoot.

I hope this helps.

Thank you! I will wear water shoes. I have heard that its rocky. Knowing that it's about 15 minutes walk is very helpful!:)

I'll add my two cents worth! It's better to walk along the water I think it's longer than 15 mins. my guess would be 30 mins. keep looking inland along the shore, you'll see remains of two 3ft. stone walls approx. 100ft. apart, inbetween those walls close to shore you'll see the graves. Take a look around that area, there are more grave sites in bad condition. There is alot of brush in between the rock walls but you can make it to the dirt road that takes you back, but it is hard to walk in cause the sand is so thick, and the road dead-ends and you have to cut back through all the brush to get back to the beach. Just stick with the beach route! And bring water shoes!:)

I'll add my two cents worth! It's better to walk along the water I think it's longer than 15 mins. my guess would be 30 mins. keep looking inland along the shore, you'll see remains of two 3ft. stone walls approx. 100ft. apart, inbetween those walls close to shore you'll see the graves. Take a look around that area, there are more grave sites in bad condition. There is alot of brush in between the rock walls but you can make it to the dirt road that takes you back, but it is hard to walk in cause the sand is so thick, and the road dead-ends and you have to cut back through all the brush to get back to the beach. Just stick with the beach route! And bring water shoes!:)

Can you still see the Princess beach from there or does it go around a bend?

Thanks for all the posts about how to get there and what to look for. I can't wait to check out the graves as well as the lighthouse when we go in March. For the ones who have done the walk to the lighthouse, about how long does it take from the time you leave Princess Cays to the time you get back? I know it's about 3 miles to the lighthouse but I don't want to underestimate our time spent and watch our cruise ship leave without us.

I know it hasn't been talked about in awhile, but has anyone gone down to the basement of that small "Cable Landing" building yet? My fiance said he really wants to go check it out but from the pictures one person posted, it looks creepy and looks like the start of a scary movie (yeah I scare easily). :p

Can you still see the Princess beach from there or does it go around a bend?

Not really, there are some small bends, you will see some people out on the point closer to the princess area.

When you get to the graves and walk over to the dirt road, there is a blacktop road to your right and that I guess is the road that takes you down by the lighthouse, it would be about 2 miles, just guessing.

I was so wanting to find the graves, but didn't. I went as far as the bend - maybe it was past that. I walked the beach to that point and on the way back I walked on the road behind it. Maybe next time we go I will find it - however the Cay is beautiful and had a wonderful time.

I was so wanting to find the graves, but didn't. I went as far as the bend - maybe it was past that. I walked the beach to that point and on the way back I walked on the road behind it. Maybe next time we go I will find it - however the Cay is beautiful and had a wonderful time.

Yes, It is a bit beyond the bend. When one is at the site, you feel as you are the only one on the island.

We're leaving on Saturday on the Grand and will be stopping at PC on Friday 1/13. Can't wait to make this walk to the graves! Hopefully they haven't deteriorated too much. I'll post pictures when we get back!

Thanks, Dan! Will you post a few landmark pics as well, so we know that we're still going the right way?

Hope you have "Fair Skies and Following Seas"!:D

• 3 weeks later...

I visited the graves on Jan 15 and they are in about the same condition as shown in the most recent pictures in this thread. It was a very nice little hike over there and well worth the effort. Once I got around the point, there was nobody else in sight even though Princess Cays was so close by. It felt like I was the only person on the island.

The graves are very close to the ocean and easy to find. If you walk along the water don't see them, it means you haven't gone far enough.

Edited by quelah

Hello all! Sorry this took so long to post, things have been pretty hectic since returning from our cruise. We made the walk to the graves on 1/13 and I took pictures along the way so everyone could see the route. The pictures can be seen at the following link. I captioned some of them to explain the steps along the way!

https://picasaweb.google.com/105438267705423735242/WalkToGravesAtPrincessCaysJan132012?authkey=Gv1sRgCKGfi761orz5HQ&noredirect=1

As stated before, the graves are in the same (albeit rough) condition as in past pictures. It took us about 30-40 minutes to get there, but we were taking our time and stopping to take pictures and enjoy the scenery. At no point were we uncomfortable or worried about our safety. It's an absolutely fantastic adventure if you ask me.

Enjoy!

Hello all! Sorry this took so long to post, things have been pretty hectic since returning from our cruise. We made the walk to the graves on 1/13 and I took pictures along the way so everyone could see the route. The pictures can be seen at the following link. I captioned some of them to explain the steps along the way!

https://picasaweb.google.com/105438267705423735242/WalkToGravesAtPrincessCaysJan132012?authkey=Gv1sRgCKGfi761orz5HQ&noredirect=1

As stated before, the graves are in the same (albeit rough) condition as in past pictures. It took us about 30-40 minutes to get there, but we were taking our time and stopping to take pictures and enjoy the scenery. At no point were we uncomfortable or worried about our safety. It's an absolutely fantastic adventure if you ask me.

Enjoy!

Thanks for posting the pictures, they were beautiful! Can't wait to visit the graves. :)