A Princess Cays Mystery!

caribbean2000

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be there shortly and take some pictures of these graves.

Love exploring stuff like this! Far more interesting than sipping drinks on the beach, and that's pretty interesting too!

Thanks Redsgj

Cool Cruiser for pointing me to this thread!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I finally got to the spot on Google Earth by using 24 38'13" N, 76 10'17" W.

You can actually see the ship, tenders and all the buildings, way cool!!!

How far of a walk is it as I will be there next week with some kids that would be interested in walking, just not too far.

I finally got to the spot on Google Earth by using 24 38'13" N, 76 10'17" W.

You can actually see the ship, tenders and all the buildings, way cool!!!

How far of a walk is it as I will be there next week with some kids that would be interested in walking, just not too far.

It's to the right as you approach the Cays (that's to the South East) about 1/2 a mile or so. As you can see they're right on the beach, so you really can't just walk by them....

Is there a direct link to this Google page you've found? I'll have to check it out while in PC next fall. The walk sounds nice! ;)

Cemeteries are found everywhere, so nothing unusual about this one IMHO. We stayed at a beach house that had a slave cemetery right next to the house. That was spooky at night! :eek:

I have attached a photo that I took in Maui of an old ocean side cemetery.

dsc004721gt.jpg

Ok whoever is keeping up with this post can you answer a couple questions for me Please.

Is Princess Cays anywhere near Long Bay Cay? The reason I ask is because I do a little genealogy and I am trying to find out about these 2 names mentioned, plus since I will be there next week I am going to offer some other folks looking for names on this Island some assistance by giving them information from the site if I can find it.

This is such a cool thread. Thanks everyone!

I love old graveyards. It is really fascinating to think that the people buried on Princess Cays most likely have ancestors who may or may not even know that these graves exist. That all of the people who were buried there on the island have a story, and people who loved them. I can't wait to go exploring on our upcoming cruise to try and find them. I hope somebody comes up with some info on this mystery!

If you are ever in Greenville, NC and happen by the Glaxo plant, (it used to be the Proctor and Gamble plant) look around the grounds outside and you will find a teeny little graveyard, overgrown with weeds and fenced in by a black wrought iron fence. It is very surreal to see this giant metal manufacturing plant cozying up to this little bitty graveyard. Some of the graves are from the mid to late 1800's.

I have often wondered what the employee's at the plant must think about the graves. If they ever wander over during their lunch breaks to look at the names and come up with ideas or stories about how they got there or how they died.

My family owned and lived on the land there for many generations, before P & G bought it and built the plant. These are the graves of some of my ancestors. It is fun to go up there with my grandmother (who is now in her late 80's) and hear again the stories I have heard a thousand times before.

"Now Jenny," (she would say in her southern drawl) "this is the grave of Aunt Patty who died of consumption when she was off at college. This is Uncle Nash who broke his back on a cypress knee when he fell from a tree. Uncle James was drug behind a mule. Thomas shot himself behind the tobacco barn." It is neat to put my hand on the grave stone of someone who lived so long ago, and yet has some real connection with me today.

Sorry, there I go rambling again! LOL! :)

Ok whoever is keeping up with this post can you answer a couple questions for me Please.

Is Princess Cays anywhere near Long Bay Cay? The reason I ask is because I do a little genealogy and I am trying to find out about these 2 names mentioned, plus since I will be there next week I am going to offer some other folks looking for names on this Island some assistance by giving them information from the site if I can find it.

This is such a cool thread. Thanks everyone!

The Long Bay Cays I know aren't on Eleuthera, where the Princess Cays are, but on Andros. That's many miles away.

The Princess Cays are between Millars and Deep Bay (Davis Harbour ) on the south coast

paintmap.gif

We should write the story of..... The Mystery at Princess Cays..... One of those stories where one person starts it, then another adds to it, then another and......

It would be great poolside reading, full of pirate ships and the like, hmmmm...

Here's an over view

57185879-a5af-02000169-.jpg

What I find very cool, is that the little hyphen looking thing right under the red index finger near it's tip in that picture is the ship, and that is at 33 miles out, I have played with it and found I can still see it at 80 miles out (because I know what to look for, amazing that the ship is that big you can tell it is there from such a long distance. I can even start to details at 15,000 feet.

Way cool.