Nieuw Amsterdam - Verandah Cabin - TV - Accessible HDMI port?

CruisinAway123

I wouldn't count on it. If the new TVs have been installed, they are flush against the wall with a frame around them that makes access to the ports on the side difficult. In addition, the remote doesn't include the capability to change inputs.

You may be able to work a cable into the side ports, and change the input if you take along a universal remote or and app for your phone.

If the new TVs have not been installed, the TVs are mounted such that access to the ports is difficult, and again the remote has no capability to change inputs.

Very true. On the Oosterdam and Westerdam, both ships that have the new 48" flat screen TV's mounted on the wall, that have HDMI connectors. But the TV's are mounted so close to the wall that you would have to have a very thin hand to sneak an HDMI cable in there. But the bigger problem is the remotes. They are not standard remotes, and have no provisions to switch the TV's inputs. The new, on-demand TV's are connected by ethernet, RJ-45 connectors. When you pause a movie you are watching, and come back the next day, you can resume where you left off. They are interactive. But you would have to bring a universal remote with a code list to be able to switch the inputs, providing you can sneak a cable into the back of the TV.

On the Nordam, there is one USB port on the backsplash of each bedside night table. I think this was done during the last renovation.

DD

That is for charging devices only, I believe the OP wanted to display content from his devices on the TV.

• 7 months later...
Very true. On the Oosterdam and Westerdam, both ships that have the new 48" flat screen TV's mounted on the wall, that have HDMI connectors. But the TV's are mounted so close to the wall that you would have to have a very thin hand to sneak an HDMI cable in there. But the bigger problem is the remotes. They are not standard remotes, and have no provisions to switch the TV's inputs. The new, on-demand TV's are connected by ethernet, RJ-45 connectors. When you pause a movie you are watching, and come back the next day, you can resume where you left off. They are interactive. But you would have to bring a universal remote with a code list to be able to switch the inputs, providing you can sneak a cable into the back of the TV.

We just got off the Westerdam, in cabin 10024, which has the TV in a diagonal position in the corner of the room. Which made the back accessible. There were HDMI ports on the back. Also on the side, that might be reachable when wall mounted. I was able to use HDMI3 on the back, its still a juggle to reach over the top of the TV and get to it. When I plugged in my laptop, I was able to use my universal remote to switch inputs successfully. Default Samsung codes seemed to work for the input switch button.

If you had left the TV on the default screen it would switch back after 10-15 min (I think it's recycling an ad video on that screen) but if you switch to the map display, it would then never switch back from the HDMI input.

attachment.php?attachmentid=429125&stc=1&d=1537725956

It also looks like there is support for screen mirroring. Forgot to see if it's the default screen sharing supported in most modern laptops/phones.

attachment.php?attachmentid=429126&stc=1&d=1537725956

857603366_WesterdamTVswitchsmall.thumb.jpg.e7be367b73cb88d68cecd7c0a8af2502.jpg

237704461_WesterdamTVscreenmirrorsmall.thumb.jpg.f63e5059e78a4036568e03b4b5e9f376.jpg

• 4 months later...

We are just off the Eurodam.  The TV in our regular balcony cabin are 42" Samsung.  

Based on the good advise I've gotten on CC, I packed a Samsung remote (a universal should also work).  The TV is close to the wall.  I used an older 12" HDMI extension cable to connect to one of the HDMI ports.  That took only a minute, being an older extension, is is almost as thick as my pinky finger, making it easy to drive into the port.  A thinner cable would old need something to stiffen and support it.

Once the extension was in, I just plugged in my HDMI cable into my Dell notebook to the extension,  .  I used my Samsung remote to select the HDMI port  

I few days later I noticed the Screen Mirroring option of the TV inputs.  I have never used that before -- it was even easier.  I had no trouble hooking the TV up to my Android phone, tablet and Dell notebook, as desired.  Very, very nice and easy. 

I don't think Screen Mirroring works with Apple -- I'm not sure though.  (On my phone and tablet it is called  Smart something - not mirroring)

All I'll bring next time is my Samsung remote.   

• Like 2

• 5 years later...

Just wanted to keep this updated if possible.  Thanks to all the CC advice and tips from this post!!  I can confirm they are still Samsung tv’s on the Niew Amsterdam.  I was able to plug into the HDMI behind the tv and use my Roku to stream whatever I wanted.  Roku allows you to use your smartphone to input the wi-fi info for your Roku device.  I tried using a firestick first, but it wouldn’t pop up the WiFi login screen.  I used a cheap RCA universal remote (non-smart tv type) that I purchased in a port after seeing this thread and was able to change the input as described/pictured above.  Once again, thanks for all the info, now we can stream other content besides the limited channels offered.  

There is an extra 110v outlet available behind the tv, I have a flat plug on my outlet extension so I was able to utilize it, I also used a thin HDMI chord.  Hope some of this helps others.

Last year on Coral Princess cruise they had locked down the TVs in some way. I think it was a custom firmware or some such.

I could use the hard-wired buttons or universal remote to get into the menus and select inputs but it didn't really do anything. And would constant switch back to the princess interface. Best I got was the second input in picture in picture mode for a short time before switch back.