LIVE: Regal Princess, Eastern Caribbean, Feb. 18-25, 2018

geoherb

It was great to catch up with our friend in Lauderdale by the Sea. The disembarkation process went very smoothly. By the time we got down there, we got to walk off the ship directly without waiting in our assigned meeting space. It did take a little bit of time to get an elevator. The line for Customs was not too bad, just snaking back and forth a bit. Getting out of the parking garage was also very easy.

We got onto I-95 a little after 10:00. Traffic was not too bad. There was a lot between Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach, but it flowed along well. There are several construction zones but no workers since it's a Sunday. We made it almost to the South Carolina border, about 5/8 of the way home. We have about 350 miles to go tomorrow.

The menu was the Chef's Dinner. It included the goat cheese soufflé, artichoke soup, snapper ceviche, and salad with shallot vinaigrette for the first courses. The main courses included a stuffed trout, diver scallops with crispy pork belly, beef and sweet potato skewer, and a vegetarian gnocchi.

They had another Chef's Table tonight behind the lighted curtain. I'm glad our tablemates got to see the production. The people attending the Chef's Table were already seated, once again, before we got to the dining room.

We enjoyed the "Sweet Soul Music" production show. The singers and dancers are really good. Tomorrow night will be "Bravo," with the cast plus a guest soprano. We saw the show on the Caribbean Princess in August but will go back

There was a letter in our cabin mailbox this evening letting us know we made the cut for the Ultimate Ship's Tour. I guess three people dropped out. It's going to be Saturday morning. I'm glad I did not spend all of my OBC yet. I'll end up with a little bit of refundable credit after the charge for the tour.

My last laundry order came back this evening. I sent it out twice and received it back both times the next evening. DH sent his out once and received it back in two days (but in the morning, not the evening).

I played the '80s trivia with the Canadian guy, a mother and son, and two guys from the afternoon gathering. We tied another team with a perfect score. Both teams received bottles of champagne. The other team gave us theirs. I'm chilling the bottles in our fridge to take to tomorrow's gathering at Outriggers.

We haven't been going to the Platinum, Elite, and suite event since the first couple of nights. There is not one tomorrow night due to the Captain's Circle party. We may try to go on the last night. We ate lunch with a couple of women we met the first night there. They said it has not been very well attended the past couple of nights. I guess the late stay in St. Thomas affected attendance. I also noticed that the BOGO happy hour in the afternoon wasn't as crowded this afternoon. I was just passing through.

As the "mother" of the "mother and son", I wanted to say what a pleasure it was to meet you and your DH, and to spend time together and testing our minds together in trivia. My DH sure enjoyed reading your posts so he could know how the cruise was going and what we were doing. Please keep in touch.

Nancy

It was great to catch up with our friend in Lauderdale by the Sea. The disembarkation process went very smoothly. By the time we got down there, we got to walk off the ship directly without waiting in our assigned meeting space. It did take a little bit of time to get an elevator. The line for Customs was not too bad, just snaking back and forth a bit. Getting out of the parking garage was also very easy.

We got onto I-95 a little after 10:00. Traffic was not too bad. There was a lot between Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach, but it flowed along well. There are several construction zones but no workers since it's a Sunday. We made it almost to the South Carolina border, about 5/8 of the way home. We have about 350 miles to go tomorrow.

Glad you got such a great jump on the drive home. My brother and his DW were driving down here from Charlotte today, stopping for the night near Jax. You surely passed each other in route. One leaves, another arrives. Safe travels tomorrow.

Nancy

We made it home this afternoon around 3. It was a little over six hours. We would have made it a lot faster if they hadn't closed a lane on a bridge for construction work in South Carolina. We went 4 miles in 45 minutes.

Another thought about our cruise: We never received an order form for canapes for the formal nights. (We would not have ordered them--since they no longer have chocolate-covered strawberries--but I think some newly Elite passengers may not realize they could.) We did not receive as many pieces of paper advertising things either, so apparently Princess is cutting back some. That's a good thing.

We made it home this afternoon around 3. It was a little over six hours. We would have made it a lot faster if they hadn't closed a lane on a bridge for construction work in South Carolina. We went 4 miles in 45 minutes.

Another thought about our cruise: We never received an order form for canapes for the formal nights. (We would not have ordered them--since they no longer have chocolate-covered strawberries--but I think some newly Elite passengers may not realize they could.) We did not receive as many pieces of paper advertising things either, so apparently Princess is cutting back some. That's a good thing.

Glad you made it home safely.

We got so little paperwork on our Regal sailing that I thought Princess had finally cut back. Well I can tell you that we got so much on our Crown sailing last week that it as crazy!

They did give us the order form for canapés, but like you I don't do anything since the strawberries are gone.

Just wanted to add a few thoughts regarding the Ultimate Ship's Tour we took on Saturday morning, our last day at sea. As DH stated, I thought the tour was great! We saw a variety of spaces on the ship, that we would not otherwise have seen. I wanted to see examples of crew cabins. I'm guessing privacy issues prevented that from happening. Aaron, our assistant cruise director was our guide through the maze of the ship. He explained that each class of princess crew on the ship had a different color of door designating their crew quarters: Tan for officers, Blue for the next level of staff, and Red for the remainder of crew members. When we got back to our cabin, late in the afternoon, we found two princess bags filled with the following as a result of our Ultimate Ship Tour: A very nice blue (dark and light) checked apron, a Princess cruises white bathrobe, a pad of paper with my name printed on it from the print shop, an 8x10 wooden photo frame, an 8x10 group photo with the Captain on the bridge, three smaller photos taken during the tour--the group in the engine control room with the chief engineer, on stage in the princess theatre with two of the dancers in their Chorus Line costumes, and at the bow of the ship with one of the staff captains with the heavy anchor chain, and the ropes wound up ready for docking the next day in port everglades. If you are interested in this tour, you need to sign up for it as soon as you board the ship. We signed up after lunch in the dining room and were 2nd and 3rd persons on the waiting list. I believe they set up a second tour for those people on the waiting list. It is expensive>>$150 per person. I am so cheap! It used up our OBC. But even if we didn't have OBC, I would have said to book it! Very enjoyable. Aaron did a great job of keeping us moving. At times during our past cruises, I wondered what was going on "behind the scenes." I wonder no more! The Captain took about 15 minutes out of his busy schedule to spend time with us and answer our questions. This meant a great deal to me! Also, hearing the other crew members' explanations of what they do was very interesting! I recommend 100%. DH also mentioned that I took a two hour CPE webinar (free!!). I would not have done this, if we didn't have unlimited internet on the Regal. When I registered for the class before the cruise, I tested all of the stuff on my computer while I was at home. I even talked with the AICPA help desk to be sure I had everything up and running before I left home. As DH mentioned, I messed up the times and was not certain if I would be able to get in. I took a few minutes at the beginning for the webinar to "boot up." I normally wouldn't spend time on the ship doing this. It was a sea day and it was free! We're retired and need to save all of our pennies. 40 hours of CPE each year is required in my state to maintain my CPA license. It was probably one of the best webinars I have seen since becoming a CPA. The presenter was awesome!

Edited by CPASam
mispelled two as to. correcting the error.

I've enjoyed you keeping us informed of the daily activities. I will be sailing this itinerary in three weeks. Can you please tell me where you ported in St. Thomas and St. Maarten?
The ship was at Havensight in St. Thomas and the regular cruise ship pier in St. Maarten. There's a water ferry that leaves from near the cruise pier and goes to a pier near the center of Philipsburg.

The ship was at Havensight in St. Thomas and the regular cruise ship pier in St. Maarten. There's a water ferry that leaves from near the cruise pier and goes to a pier near the center of Philipsburg.

Thanks so much for the quick response. This helps me plan.

When you did the UST - did you get the regular waffle bathrobe or the fluffy one? We're considering doing this tour on one of our upcoming cruises. Someone who did it on the Crown said it was the fluffy one. We're got B2B cruises on the Crown & the Regal & are trying to pick which one to do the tour on. Thanks!

When you did the UST - did you get the regular waffle bathrobe or the fluffy one? We're considering doing this tour on one of our upcoming cruises. Someone who did it on the Crown said it was the fluffy one. We're got B2B cruises on the Crown & the Regal & are trying to pick which one to do the tour on. Thanks!

Waffle or fluffy seems to depend on ship and/or inventory.

It's a waffle weave bathrobe but heavier and longer than the ones in the cabin.

We are on this cruise as well. The internet is super fast and complimentary unlimited for platinim and elites is certainly a great perk even if it is just for this cruise. Enjoy the Regal. We have sailed on her before and enjoyed the cruises immensely.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

Question concerning the new "MedallionNet" complimentary internet for platinum and elites on the Regal :

Is it 1 device or 1 device at a time? If I sign in on my tablet will I be able to sign out and use my phone?

I know on other ships without the new network I was able to use both my phone and tablet at different times but I'm not sure if the new network tracks your Mac address and prevents this.

Question concerning the new "MedallionNet" complimentary internet for platinum and elites on the Regal :

Is it 1 device or 1 device at a time? If I sign in on my tablet will I be able to sign out and use my phone?

I know on other ships without the new network I was able to use both my phone and tablet at different times but I'm not sure if the new network tracks your Mac address and prevents this.

Continues to be one device at a time.

I never signed in with my phone, just my laptop. It does say one device at a time. And it did not require setting up a password like on previous cruises--just cabin number and birth date.