Princess Australia Questions

trbarton

So here is a quick answer to those who don't want to look at links. Australia (and NZ) use 220-230 volts and an interesting flat pin receptacle. So if you are traveling from the USA (where we have 110-120 you will need to consider a few things...which only apply if you are staying in a hotel (or elsewhere on land). You will first need the proper "adapter" so that your USA plug can be plugged into a downunder receptacle. Adapters are inexpensive and found online or in many luggage stores. The other issue is the voltage. If your devices are certified to work on 220-240 Volts, 50-60 cycles...then you are all set and only need that inexpensive adapter Most decent electronics (computers, ipads, tablets) are OK for the higher voltages but you need to check (look at the plugs, chargers or transformers and you will find this info stamped somewhere (you might need a magnifying glass to see it). If your device is only good for 110-120 you have two options. If you are talking something inexpensive like a hair dryer or flat iron....you might just want to buy another that can handle duel voltage. Otherwise you will need a voltage converter capable of handling the Wattage of your device/appliance. And a decent converter is not so cheap, can be a bit heavy, and is just one more thing to pack. That is why DW has a travel hair dryer, flat iron, and curling iron that all can handle any voltage.

Hank

HI Tom,

If the question was in relation to power outlets on Ships, I think most of Princess ships are standard 110volt US style plugs, but I have read that some ships do have a 240volt outlet

Cheers Don

Most ships have two power circuits. 110v with US style plugs - often two outlets. Plus one 220v outlet with either European style plugs or Australian/NZ style.

I'm just off the Diamond Princess. The desk had two 110 volt outlets, and one 220 Australian/New Zealand style outlet. If you are using the 220 plugs from Great Britain, then you will need a converter. We were on land for seven-days pre-cruise, and the hotel outlets will require a converter. I bought one a the Woolworths in Cains for about $12.00 USD.

the hotel outlets will require a converter. I bought one a the Woolworths in Cains for about $12.00 USD.

At $12 from Woollies it will be an adapter not a converter.

Don't mix up adapters and converters or you will find your appliance may go up in smoke.

An adapter merely changes from one socket type to another. The voltage out is still the same. Suitable for any device/appliance that will accept either 110v or 240v.

A converter changes the voltage from 110v to 240v or vice versa depending on what type you need/buy.

At $12 from Woollies it will be an adapter not a converter.

Don't mix up adapters and converters or you will find your appliance may go up in smoke.

An adapter merely changes from one socket type to another. The voltage out is still the same. Suitable for any device/appliance that will accept either 110v or 240v.

A converter changes the voltage from 110v to 240v or vice versa depending on what type you need/buy.

I used it to charge the camera battery, but didn't try it on my hair straightener. Good to know.