Viking Survey re Expedition Cruising

Host Jazzbeau

I received an email from Viking today with a link to a survey about expedition cruising, which is clearly geared toward Viking entering that market. Anybody else get this?

I did not. Nor have I seen the topic being investigated by Viking through a market research company they use. I've never been contacted directly by Viking directly but have done a number of surveys for them over the past couple of years through the research company.

They would need a new class of ship to do it. Based on the current World Cruise the present ships have too many passengers and are not constructed for the rigors of the high latitudes. It is a competitive market already. They will need to stand out somehow.

I suspect they are trying to figure out what to do after they build the 10th Viking Ocean ship. That will saturate that market. They are also close to saturating the European river cruise market. But it seems to be Viking's DNA to never stop expanding, so they need a new market. Luxury yacht cruising seems more of a stretch from their roots than expedition cruising.

Whoops! Did get the survey after all. Searched and found it in my email spam file.

Agree completely that Viking is looking to expand into other markets not addressed by the current fleet build out and their presently targeted demographics. For example, they'll need a younger, faster, more agile clientele to outrun the lions in their Africa land tours.