Tie on formal nights?

rainbowhays

I use a button extender. They are available many places and inexpensive. There is a loop that goes around the "real" button and then a button on the end that you use to actually button the shirt. This allows me to button the shirt and also keeps me from choking. If dining in MDR on formal night I wear a suit and tie. I have never seen shorts in MDR. On our last cruise there were a couple of people turned away from MDR for inappropriate dress.

Excellent idea ! That button extender is a great invention.Thanks so much for the useful info. :)

Ties are not required on men on formal night. One trend I have been noticing is men showing up in suits with no tie and open collar. It seems to be growing. Personally I have never worn a tie on formal night as have quite a few others.

I am taking my first Princess cruise in September and am a little concerned about the tie rule on formal nights.

I do like to dress up and have a blazer and sports jackets with dress shirts.

I cannot do up my top shirt button due to medical issues so I cannot wear a tie.

I am a rule follower and I don’t want to look out of place.

I hope someone who has sailed with Princess can offer me some advice.

You’ll be fine without wearing a tie.

There was a fellow on our last cruise who had a growth the size of a grapefruit on the side of his neck who wore a tuxedo without a tie on Formal Night.

Good luck, and enjoy your cruise.

I hope the people on this thread are on my cruise when we show up to the dining room on formal night in dress pants, a sports coat and tie for DH, and a dressy top for me! There’s a formal thread going on over on FB right now, and the general consensus is that those of us who don’t bring true formal wear are a) ruining it for everyone else, b) need to be banished to the buffet, or c) are better suited foe Carnival.[emoji849] So judgmental![emoji853]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Said it before, say it again...'If Princess is not going to enforce its dress codes, get rid of them !!!!:halo:

Personally, I am old school and take a suit and tie for formal nights, even though I have to fly from Australia for most cruises, thus being very limited re luggage capacity/weight.

I am taking my first Princess cruise in September and am a little concerned about the tie rule on formal nights.

I cannot do up my top shirt button due to medical issues so I cannot wear a tie.

You don't need a tie or jacket.

Wear a cravat

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To the OP, you will be just fine without wearing a tie. Certainly no one would expect you to wear anything that a medical condition prevents you from wearing.

I totally agree with this.

My own experience with dress shirts is that they are most comfortable when that top button is not buttoned, but the tie is somewhat snug up in front of the button, giving the illusion of the collar being buttoned. Button extenders do not do it for me.

But for a medical condition, go with what makes you comfortable. A suit or coat with a dress shirt, unbuttoned, works fine.

Wear a bolo tie and don't slide the slide all the way up.

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=bolo+tie&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Abolo+tie

One side note...On a Carnival cruise a number of years ago, at my table was a Hispanic gentleman (celebrated his 70th onboard). On elegant night he wore a white shirt with mandarin style collar and instead of a tie, had a black and silver button cover over the button. Along with a black frock coat and black stetson, he looked very sharp. EM

I think that this discussion has moved away from the OP question regarding neckwear and also has drifted even further into the formal vs non-formal debate.

I believe they call it formal nights so those who do like dressing up can feel comfortable wearing formalwear but suits, sports jackets, blazers to me all fit into the dressed-up realm. Collared shirts and dress pants shouldn’t feel banished or unwelcome in any restaurant onboard. However shorts, thongs, ripped styles, singlets, slogan Ts, and hats don’t happen to work for me. But they won’t stop me from enjoying my meal; I won’t give them that power. However if I wanted to be surrounded by people dressed for a carnival I would book Carnival.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been known to leave my top button undone with a loosened tie casually hanging below. The formality of a tie, but casual and with a little breathing room.

Absolutely! That's what I often do, its a very fashionable look now....

And I have a selection of bad taste and cartoon and comedy ties I take and wear, not boring old ties

Always get some admiring comments from persons of discernment....................