Anthem or Escape for a Caribbean Cruise

Jacaluke

We are looking at doing a Caribbean cruise out of New York in December - we can’t choose between the Escape or the Anthem of the Seas. Both itineraries look great - Escape is cheaper yet a day longer. I’ve heard you fork out more money onboard the Escape though. There will be 5 of us travelling - 2 adults and 3 kids aged 18, 16 and 12. Appreciate any advice, thank-you.

The Anthem is out of New Jersey, not New York. This may make a difference in your travel plans. These are two VERY different ships. In my opinion, I would go with the Anthem. The pool area is very small on the Escape. The Anthem is a cold weather ship and therefore tons of indoor venues (including an enclosed pool) if it should snow, rain, chilly....etc. and with the age of your children, I think they would LOVE the Anthem.

Oh, and you would fly into Newark, NJ airport (EWR), which is much closer to the cruise port than Kennedy or Laguardia in NY.

Edited by champagne123
////..........

We are looking at doing a Caribbean cruise out of New York in December - we can’t choose between the Escape or the Anthem of the Seas. Both itineraries look great - Escape is cheaper yet a day longer. I’ve heard you fork out more money onboard the Escape though. There will be 5 of us travelling - 2 adults and 3 kids aged 18, 16 and 12. Appreciate any advice, thank-you.

Weather in December in NY/NJ can be quite cold. Anthem is designed for the cold weather. For that reason, pick the Anthem. If you were traveling in June, it would be more difficult decision.

Since you are flying in from Australia, spend 2 days in Ny/NJ beforehand to get over the jetlag and see NYC.

I just got of the Escape this month and it was wonderful. The Anthem is built for colder weather so I would choose that ship. You only spend more on NCL if you want to, but they offer drink and specialty packages as perks. You only pay the service charge.

The price of the Escape cruise includes the drink packages plus a lot of other exclusions - great special at the time. We do fly into NJ but want to spend a couple of days in New York before the cruise so that would mean going into Manhattan and then heading back to NJ after the cruise to fly out from Newark again. I know the weather will be cold leaving NY but it should get quite warm in the Caribbean shouldn't it?

We are able to book a Family Oceanview room for 5 on the Escape - price still works out cheaper than a Family Oceanview room for 4 on the Anthem. Escape price includes beverage package, shore excursion credit, Internet credit and guests 3 and 4 travel free which would explain why it is cheaper than the Anthem price. The kids grandparents are coming as well so we can always spread out over a few cabins in we need to. Sounds like both are very similar - just wondering if the Anthem is worth the extra $?

We've been looking at something similar because we can technically 'drive' to ny/nj from ontario - about 6 hours from our house. Tempting to save the flight x5. our kids are 17, 14, 9. I looked at doing an Balcony for my husband, myself and youngest and then putting my 2 teens in a nearby interior (across hall, close). It makes it a bit more reasonable than 2 balcony connecting rooms and I am not sure I could live in the small space of 5 to a room with the Escape ocean view... maybe if they were all little but not with teens. lol. I'd pick Anthem b/c of the solarium/pool situation and time of year you are going. If it was a warmer month I'd be tempted to go with the Escape and their included perks and tasty food.