family Suites

carmensmom

We are wanting to book an Alaska cruise with friends for next year. Our friends are first time cruisers and we are hooked on the princess window suites. Our friends areal interested in the suite experience, but we are limited in our choices of ships if we book window suites. We have been thinking about maybe booking a family suite as this would not limit our choice of ships or cruises. I have been trying to find some pictures of Family suites with no success, can anyone help us out with some pictures or links?

Info from the Princess website:

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/products/staterooms/family-suite.html

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A FS is basically a mini suite with an enlarged sitting area connected to an inside cabin.

There is a door separating the inside cabin but no separation between the mini suite sleeping area and the sitting area so no real privacy. I read a post were a steward put up a curtain to provide some separation for the sleeping area but don’t know if that is standard.

I also saw in a post that it is apparently possible to make the inside cabin beds into a Queen bed.

The balcony is basically unusable when sailing because of the high winds as the balcony has no protection from the wind.

Edited by IECalCruiser

IECalcruiser thanks for the reply, I was already able to find that on the princess we site, also found the family suite layout. Guess I should have been more specific with my question. The Suite layout per the Princess site makes it look as if you cannot have a queen bed configurationin the second bed room . Would like to see some actual pictures of a family suite, or feedback from cruisers that have had experience with a family suite, I understand the balcony is unusable while the ship is underway....not a problem, as we usually book window suites and do not have access to a balcony anyway.

The single beds in the inside part of the family room cannot be turned into a queen because the middle portion of the room is what connects to the closet, bathroom and door to the hallway. Perhaps they can move the beds 90 degrees but then you cannot use the bunk beds.

I stayed in family suite on Emerald last july. I did not take any pictures of the room. But I can give you the lay of the land. Basically you have two cabins with two bathrooms. You have a mini suite combined with a inside cabin and you share the living room. There are three TV's one in the main bedroom, one in the living room and one in the inside bedroom. Each bedroom has its own outside entrance. There is plenty of storage space; the suites are all the way forward on the ship. We were dolphin deck suite 102 on the emerald. The only negative is the balcony. It is very large with lots of furniture; however, once you leave port it is pretty much useless. The wind from outside makes it hard to stand and the cabin steward would have to tie the furniture down everyday. In port it was fine. If you have any other questions let me know. Oh I forgot to answer your question about making the inside beds into a queen. The two single beds have a walkway between them which allows the passengers to go to the bathroom. If both beds were together they would not be able to walk to get to the bathroom or closet. We had two teens in the second bedroom

I stayed in family suite on Emerald last july. I did not take any pictures of the room. But I can give you the lay of the land. Basically you have two cabins with two bathrooms. You have a mini suite combined with a inside cabin and you share the living room. There are three TV's one in the main bedroom, one in the living room and one in the inside bedroom. Each bedroom has its own outside entrance. There is plenty of storage space; the suites are all the way forward on the ship. We were dolphin deck suite 102 on the emerald. The only negative is the balcony. It is very large with lots of furniture; however, once you leave port it is pretty much useless. The wind from outside makes it hard to stand and the cabin steward would have to tie the furniture down everyday. In port it was fine. If you have any other questions let me know. Oh I forgot to answer your question about making the inside beds into a queen. The two single beds have a walkway between them which allows the passengers to go to the bathroom. If both beds were together they would not be able to walk to get to the bathroom or closet. We had two teens in the second bedroom

family-suite-with-balcony--v10578609-cc-720.jpg

here is inside bedroom as you can see if you push both beds together there in no room to get to the bathroom or closet; which it straight ahead.

family-suite-with-balcony--v10578609-cc-720.jpg

here is inside bedroom as you can see if you push both beds together there in no room to get to the bathroom or closet; which it straight ahead.

family-suite-with-balcony--v10574553-cc-720.jpg

same room but looking in opposite direction. The door you see goes into the living room. again if you put beds together it is very tough to get anywhere; can it be done? A tight fit but maybe possible

More pictures here of the family suite on Sapphire and diamond,it will be almost identical on all other ships that have them (grand class and derivatives)

https://sites.google.com/site/princesscruisesfaq/ships/unique-cabins/uniquesapdia

Edited by cruisingrob21
Forgot link

I am curious about pricing on these suites - anyone that has stayed in one, how do they figure it out? Since you can't book online they don't show the price and every cruise I have been interested in they have said the family suite is not available when I have called. I'm doing a short cruise in April and the family suite states "book from as low as $811.35" - does this mean that the total price is $811.25 multiplied by four or by the number of people in the cabin? On this trip there would only be three of us but we are usually 2 adults/2 kids....

More pictures here of the family suite on Sapphire and diamond,it will be almost identical on all other ships that have them (grand class and derivatives)

https://sites.google.com/site/princesscruisesfaq/ships/unique-cabins/uniquesapdia

The floorplan is wrong on the Sapphire's inside cabin portion of the Family Suite. I think this is true of all the older Grand-class ships. Here's a photo that I took of the cabin.

6490375051_2b89562d59_b.jpgFamily Suite - 2nd bedroom by Richard, on Flickr

RickEk, thank you. Do you have any more photo's of the family suite on Sapphire please? We have one booked for a 2018 summer sailing and if the photo's online are not of the Sapphire would really be interested to see what we are in for. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
I am curious about pricing on these suites - anyone that has stayed in one, how do they figure it out? Since you can't book online they don't show the price and every cruise I have been interested in they have said the family suite is not available when I have called. I'm doing a short cruise in April and the family suite states "book from as low as $811.35" - does this mean that the total price is $811.25 multiplied by four or by the number of people in the cabin? On this trip there would only be three of us but we are usually 2 adults/2 kids....

It's per person for the price, but I believe there is a minimum of 4 guests for the family suite. The loveseats in the sitting room both make into pull out beds so when we went it was my MIL and SIL in the quad cabin, my 3 kids in the pull outs and us in the queen mini suite bed. worked great for our extended family- 2 bathrooms and 3 tvs. It does act as a full suite so the suite benefits are nice to have, but pricing can get pretty expensive- you usually have to call Princess for a quote