Amber Cove Cruise Port or Puerto Playa ?

voljeep

I would do a tour the area around amber cove left a lot to be desired. I ended doing an atv ride through the country and beach and loved it. Even loved the open air truck through the countryside. I just didnt see much to be impressed by at or near port though.

Puerto Plata is not the kind of place like Cozumel or St Maarten where you could just walk around and grab lunch and a beer. Take a tour with the ship or a private taxi tour like we did. Staying by the port for lunch and a swim in the pool is nice, but you could hardly say you've been to the DR if that's all you do. Do half day in port and a 2-3 hour taxi tour to get the most out of your day.

Puerto Plata is not the kind of place like Cozumel or St Maarten where you could just walk around and grab lunch and a beer. Take a tour with the ship or a private taxi tour like we did. Staying by the port for lunch and a swim in the pool is nice, but you could hardly say you've been to the DR if that's all you do. Do half day in port and a 2-3 hour taxi tour to get the most out of your day.

My sentiments exactly... Not very much at the Carnival compound.

I think we paid the driver $80??? and there were 4 of us. The last stop was a cigar factory that was quite interesting, but at the end there was a pretty hard pitch... (but not nearly as hard as the oriental rug factory in Kusadasi).

If you're adventurous, flag down a guagua and take it wherever you want to go. Cheap, efficient and quite fun for us. My wife was pregnant at the time and they made sure she had a comfortable seat! They are basically city buses. Do a google search to find out more.

You will NEVER get me out of Amber Cove. It's fabulous. No waiting around for excursion bus and late comers to go see a 3rd world island. Those on BOTH of my Amber Cove cruises that did excursions, ALL said they should have stayed in Amber Cove.

One great way to get the most out of your DR visit with Princess, if you are going in November 2018, is to go on one of the social impact excursions (#traveldeep). Fabulous experience!!! Yes, it's volunteer work...but you get to work side by side with the people of the island. Options include teaching english to young children, working in a chocolate factory, or putting in cement floors in homes. Other options also!