Group of 12 .. Flying into MIA or FLL?

JayhawkFans

Having only cruised out of FLL once I have no experience with the Miami airport. Our family cruise is growing and now we have potentially 12-15 people looking at going. Southwest doesn't have their schedule out yet for January so looking at other options. I see that we can get a non-stop on American Airlines into Miami arriving at 9:45 a.m. the day the ship leaves on Sunday, January 13. Personally I always want to fly in a day early but I might be outvoted on this one.

Is a 9:45 a.m. arrival time practical considering we would need to gather bags .. catch a pre-arranged shuttle and be on the RCCL Harmony of the Seas in plenty of time. I would think realistically (as long as no flight delays) we would be on the ship by noon. I checked and the next arrival from St Louis wouldn't be until 2:45 pm so if something happened to early flight we would be out of luck.

I'm not clear from your post if you're cruising from Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. First off, it's risky flying in the day of the cruise, let alone with a large group. I would fly into the embarkation city, because moving that many people with luggage in the same direction will be like herding cats, and take 2-3 times as long as 1 or 2 people. Unless you've pre-arranged a bus, you will need 2-3 mini buses or vans to shuttle that many people and their bags.

Hope I'm not coming off as a negative Nelly, but group travel is a different beast. :evilsmile:

Roz

Roz ---

Definitely not a negative Nelly at all. Sorry for the confusion .. we are cruising out of FLL. I think what I will suggest is that everyone handle their own travel. I prefer to fly in a day early so DH, DD and my in-laws will fly in a day early. The others can either go early with us or roll the dice and arrive the day of the cruise.

Thanks for your input.

Sarah

I will give you the advice I give to everyone.

I would not fly in the day of the cruise.

There is just too much risk that if the flight is cancelled that you miss the ship and with such a large group would be difficult to find a flight with hat many open seats if your flight is canceled.

Keith

Roz ---

Definitely not a negative Nelly at all. Sorry for the confusion .. we are cruising out of FLL. I think what I will suggest is that everyone handle their own travel. I prefer to fly in a day early so DH, DD and my in-laws will fly in a day early. The others can either go early with us or roll the dice and arrive the day of the cruise.

Thanks for your input.

Sarah

That would be best and just arrange to meet up as a group at a certain time once on board!

For planning purposes, you can use UberX to get from MIA to FLL area hotels or Port Everglades for about $35 per car. UberX or standard Lyft will accommodate 2-3 plus standard bags; for 4-5 travelling together you'll need UberXL for about double the fare.

We have NEVER flown in on the day of the cruise - book your own flights, give everyone the info, and let them make their own plans and live with the consequences.

With 12 people, I would look at hiring the whole Super Shuttle van. If you use Uber/Lyft, it will be multiple cars

I agree with the other posters about flying in a day early. You don't want to be half asleep at dinner because you had to get up at 4am plus every airline has issues, if you flight is cancelled, you may miss the cruise

Thank you everyone for your responses. I am going to hold out until Southwest releases their dates for January (should be in August). I will encourage everyone to make their own travel plans with final plans to meet at a designated place on the boat. Then I'm not responsible for anyone missing the boat. :)

DH, DD and I along with my in-laws will arrive a day prior ... I'm sure before it's all said and done the rest will follow with that plan. We are too much fun to not be with for the duration.