CCL - Annual Report 2018 - always an interesting read

OlsSalt

Notice of Annual CCL Meeting - 2018

CCL - Annual Report - 2017 - Always an interesting read for the prior year corporate performance: https://materials.proxyvote.com/Approved/143658/20180213/AR_347200.PDF

"Our vision is “Together we deliver unmatched joyful vacation experiences and breakthrough shareholder returnsby exceeding guest expectations and leveraging our scale.”

From the CCL Report - what they are adding internationally:

We also welcomed the luxurious , Majestic Princess, the first new international cruise ship tailor-made for China, showcasing luxury boutiques in the largest shopping space of any cruise ship, very popular karaoke rooms and a largemahjong gaming area.

And we delivered AIDAperla, perfectly tailored for AIDA Cruises’ exclusively German guests, featuring a micro-brewery, a lazy river ride, an ice rink, climbing walls and an expansive German spa.

These always have a lot of dense reading to plow through, but reveal little gems often hidden in arcane language. Too bad it is a consolidated return as one is always curious to learn how is the HAL brand doing in comparison to its sisters.

I loved the way they skillfully explained their partnership with "O", along with other new marketing segment campaigns which they hope will generate new market penetration and increased revenues in the future. And the loss of China revenues, compared to their NA and European sectors.

Most sobering when reading these reports is understanding how corporate sees the cruise experience in the big picture while we complain about the temperature of the toast from the Lido. How many little butterfly flaps at the passenger level even reach upper management when they simply see rising revenues and passenger capacity.

I have yet to receive my hard copy of the Annual Report (and I am not going online to read it so please don't suggest that I do so).

Interesting to read in a previous post that Majestic Princess , which was to be totally dedicated to the Chinese market I thought, was being called now an "international cruise ship tailor-made for China". My understanding is that Majestic Princess will not be totally dedicated to the Chinese market and will have more "international" itineraries. Plans change. And, from what I read, the entire Chinese cruise market is in much flux.

Please read my comments as not a criticism of CCL's deployment plans for their brands. In fact, I am glad that the Company is flexible enough to realize that "Plan A" needs to become "Plan A-1", or whatever.

I have yet to receive my hard copy of the Annual Report (and I am not going online to read it so please don't suggest that I do so).

Interesting to read in a previous post that Majestic Princess , which was to be totally dedicated to the Chinese market I thought, was being called now an "international cruise ship tailor-made for China". My understanding is that Majestic Princess will not be totally dedicated to the Chinese market and will have more "international" itineraries. Plans change. And, from what I read, the entire Chinese cruise market is in much flux.

Please read my comments as not a criticism of CCL's deployment plans for their brands. In fact, I am glad that the Company is flexible enough to realize that "Plan A" needs to become "Plan A-1", or whatever.

In the short repost about the Majestic Princess from the CCL 2017 Annual Report, I interpreted this to mean it was being marketed primarily to Chinese passengers (high end shopping and gambling in competition with Star Cruise Lines?); not necessarily dedicated only to Chinese port itineraries.

The German brand Aida new ship additions were also interesting - a micro-brewry and an ice rink. The Annual Reports do just superficially tease at a lot of the details many of us would also like to learn more about.

Also interesting in the 2017 Report is the declining revenues from the EAA segment - are they (European Area/Australians) not cruising or are they choosing different brands? - Viking is certainly making a big play for perhaps this EU passenger base with so many new ships now on order, but they intend to also have far reaching itineraries too.

North America continues to be the real bread and butter for CLL - and there in hangs the tale - do they penetrate this local NA market more deeply, or do they try to compete with other more European markets? I am rooting for more NA comfort cruising myself. But I am not the one on the chopping block over the bottomline numbers. With HAL I will still say, don't fix what is not broken. And go with the strengths that are working. Without individual cruise line or even individual ship breakdowns in the Annual Report I admit, that on my part is all really selfish guess work.