Questions for first time cruiser on HAL

Kathy and Kerry

Look on the HAL website for HAL Navigator. It's for use on your smart phone. It enables you to communicate with another passenger (your question) but also allows you to view your on-board account; look at the MDR menu for the evening; and a bunch of other stuff.

We are doing an Alaska cruise on Eurodam (July 28) and plan on using the Navigator for all the reasons I've mentioned and also because we will be traveling with another couple.

Hope this information helps and have a wonderful cruise.

This sounds impressive! I had a little trouble finding anything on the HAL website, so I Googled "Holland America Navigator," and here's the link to the page where it's discussed: https://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Resp.action?requestPage=HAL_Navigator&showHeader=true&showFooter=true

If I'm overseas, I wont incur any phone charges downloading the app?

You can download it free of charge onboard the ship using the wifi - there are no charges for using the wifi when using this app

If I'm overseas, I wont incur any phone charges downloading the app?

From waht i was told: It's not an actual app. It's an address in a web browser, so nothing to download. You put your phone in airplane mode and turn off data. Turn on the wifi and choose the HAL wifi. Open your browser (Chrome, Firefix, etc), and the web page will be there to sign up for an account (I think!).

From waht i was told: It's not an actual app. It's an address in a web browser, so nothing to download. You put your phone in airplane mode and turn off data. Turn on the wifi and choose the HAL wifi. Open your browser (Chrome, Firefix, etc), and the web page will be there to sign up for an account (I think!).

Right! Just make sure everything (phone, internet) is turned off, so you don't incur any roaming charges. I had a hard time, at first, believing you could access wifi without having the internet on, the Front Desk set it up for me and explained everything, so if you have any questions or problems, just go to them for help!:cool:

accost another passenger, no matter how politely it might SEEM

Bolding is mine.. 'accost'... really??

The hyperbole in your response to what I actually said is amazing. But I'll leave it at that and move on.

Happy sailing! :)

Nobody said that was how it works, but I did say that I would 'remind' someone who was blatantly ignoring guidelines for attire in specific venues. I would politely remind them, and then suggest that they considering changing into something that was more in line with HAL's guidelines.

WOW! I thought the fashion police were only on the boards.:eek: I guess there really is one on board the ship :rolleyes:

There is nothing "polite" or "appropriate" in doing this IMO.:loudcry:

Wow. I have never seen anyone in the Lido without a cover-up.

What on earth does this have to do with the original post question? Stop intervening with stupid things. By the way, all posts' about attire that try to push the envelope should be shot down outright. No shorts in the MDR at any time. No Jeans unless they are incredibly beautiful. Never any hats, ball caps, in any dining venues. Those of you who wear them need to learn proper etiquette. Bottom line with caps...you just don't wear the damn things. Dress appropriately in accordance with the HAL dress code. If you want to do otherwise take a cruise on Carnival or NCL.

To the original poster...I'm sorry this thread has digressed into other issues. All you wanted to know was about communication with you husband. Unfortunately, some Cruise Critic members seem to hijack these threads for there own agendas. For that I'm sorry. You WILL enjoy your HAl Cruise. We always do.

dmg1956

Edited by dmg1956
Clarification

Bolding is mine.. 'accost'... really??

The hyperbole in your response to what I actually said is amazing. But I'll leave it at that and move on.

Happy sailing! :)

Collins English Dictionary:

Accost -- verb

If someone accosts another person, especially a stranger, they stop them or go up to them and speak to them in a way that seems rude or threatening.

Nope, no hyperbole.

What on earth does this have to do with the original post question? Stop intervening with stupid things. By the way, all posts' about attire that try to push the envelope should be shot down outright. No shorts in the MDR at any time. No Jeans unless they are incredibly beautiful. Never any hats, ball caps, in any dining venues. Those of you who wear them need to learn proper etiquette. Bottom line with caps...you just don't wear the damn things. Dress appropriately in accordance with the HAL dress code. If you want to do otherwise take a cruise on Carnival or NCL.

To the original poster...I'm sorry this thread has digressed into other issues. All you wanted to know was about communication with you husband. Unfortunately, some Cruise Critic members seem to hijack these threads for there own agendas. For that I'm sorry. You WILL enjoy your HAl Cruise. We always do.

dmg1956

I did try to make sense of your post and why you focused on mine, but the reason eludes me. Sorry.

dmg1956

I believe the OP's post was about dress, not communication while onboard.