civitavecchia to rome

dmdad

Me & my 2 kids 15 & 12 port in Civitavecchia and plan visit Rome this March for a day. We disembark at 8 am and depart at 7 pm. Planning on taking the intercity 1501 train at 09:24 from civitavecchia landing at roma ostiense station at 10:18 and returning on the intercity 1518 train from roma termini station at 15:57 back to civitavecchia at 16:45.

Does anyone have experience on these particular train and how long of a walk form the ship to the train station?

Would like to show my kids as much as possible but do not want to be frantic.

I was thinking of visiting the Colosseum and possibly the Vatican any thoughts?

Edited by dmdad
more info

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Come over to the Italy board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

Tons of info, and lots of experts.

How long a walk depends on which Terminal you are at. More likely you will take the shuttle to the main gate, and then take a bus, or I believe it is about a 20 minute walk from the gate to the Train.

You'll get a lot of good info on the Italy board, but trying to do both the Colosseum and the Vatican on the same day is too much. Especially in high season. Crowds are high, and lines are long.

I'd do either the Colosseum and forum OR the Vatican (museum and Sistine Chapel) and St. Peters. You will have to have pre booked tickets for whatever you choose, to avoid standing in hours long lines. And don't forget time for lunch when planning.

Just a note on port to train station, before you head to the station you will have to get a free shuttle bus from ship to the edge of the port area (it is quite industrial). These buses are free and pretty much run all year and are nothing to do with the cruise line.

Pick two main Rome spots and you should be fine but queues can be long...especially for the sistine chapel.

The main square of St Peter's and the basilica that leads off it is free, quick and near all the main spots as a possible extra.

was going to post a link to somebody who had done a slide show showing the entire trip to rome...found the link address in an old cc message but the page is gone..but found this youtube that might help

I did this a long time ago so may have changed. train is frequent and easy..remember to punch the ticket..little machines on the train or on platforms...buy the one that gives you use of Rome buses and metro for the day. there are a couple of circle lines that go by the major sites. if you plan on going inside Vatican or Collosseum it will take up a lot of your day. that is ok but just plan the time ahead of time

love Rome..you should have a good time

The train experience isn’t bad, but there’s not much close to the main train station when you do get to Rome. Do you have a plan to explore Rome? If you can swing it, a tour or private car might be worth the money in this situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums