New(ish) drink package question

I have just booked my family a second cruise on Allure and I was going to purchase the drink package for my husband and I but my friend (who just got off Allure a few weeks ago) said with the new packages she paid a lot out of pocket on the ship for drinks. I have not sailed RCL in 4 years now so I was not aware of the new package rules. She explained that even after paying for the package they had to pay another $2 for almost every drink they purchased and even the basic cruise drinks such as pina coladas and margaritas incurred an additional charge. Is this correct or did she mistakenly order her drinks with essence of unicorn or something? If so then I am not sure how the drink package will be of much good to us as the daily fee plus $2 a drink does not seem like a good deal.

I have just booked my family a second cruise on Allure and I was going to purchase the drink package for my husband and I but my friend (who just got off Allure a few weeks ago) said with the new packages she paid a lot out of pocket on the ship for drinks. I have not sailed RCL in 4 years now so I was not aware of the new package rules. She explained that even after paying for the package they had to pay another $2 for almost every drink they purchased and even the basic cruise drinks such as pina coladas and margaritas incurred an additional charge. Is this correct or did she mistakenly order her drinks with essence of unicorn or something? If so then I am not sure how the drink package will be of much good to us as the daily fee plus $2 a drink does not seem like a good deal.

Unless they were asking for some super top shelf liquor, the vast majority of cocktails are within the package limit. Another thing you can do when you order is tell them you don't want the drink if it's over the limit.

We drink lots of top shelf stuff , All scotch 12 years old including McAllen was included , we drank lots of 18 year old chevis regal which was included. Now wine was another story almost all the wine by the glass that we liked cost us extra.

Just got off her two weeks ago and never spent a dime over the package price unless it was an extra tip.

Happy to hear this! I checked and other than Bombay Sapphire gin all the liquors I enjoy seem to be on the lists I found. But I can live with Beefeaters or Tanqueray.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Happy to hear this! I checked and other than Bombay Sapphire gin all the liquors I enjoy seem to be on the lists I found. But I can live with Beefeaters or Tanqueray.

Would be kind of surprised if they don't have Bombay Sapphire. Also, keep an eye out for another gin, The Botanist, very good stuff imo.

Would be kind of surprised if they don't have Bombay Sapphire. Also, keep an eye out for another gin, The Botanist, very good stuff imo.

Thanks, I’ll do that. I was also surprised to not find Bombay but hopefully they’ll have it on the ship.

We had it last week on Jewel of the Seas and a lot of wine was extra. Prosecco was $14 a glass. All of the mixed drinks we ordered fell within the limits of the package and we were very happy with it. We also used it a lot to get bottles of water and specialty coffees.

We had it last week on Jewel of the Seas and a lot of wine was extra. Prosecco was $14 a glass. All of the mixed drinks we ordered fell within the limits of the package and we were very happy with it. We also used it a lot to get bottles of water and specialty coffees.

That sounds great. I don’t mind paying a bit more for a glass of wine or two but I was hoping it wouldn’t be for most drinks.

I’m halfway through a trip on oasis with the drink package right now. We’ve ran into just a handful of speciality cocktails that were more than the package covered like the lemongrass martini one at 150 Central Park. There have only been a couple though. Basic things like a pina colada are easily included in the package limit. The only real problem with staying within the limit is having to pay a couple bucks for the wines we prefer. The number of wines 13 and under is fairly low. However, paying 2 dollars for a 15 dollar wine with the package is probably still a savings for you over paying full price without the package.

I’m halfway through a trip on oasis with the drink package right now. We’ve ran into just a handful of speciality cocktails that were more than the package covered like the lemongrass martini one at 150 Central Park. There have only been a couple though. Basic things like a pina colada are easily included in the package limit. The only real problem with staying within the limit is having to pay a couple bucks for the wines we prefer. The number of wines 13 and under is fairly low. However, paying 2 dollars for a 15 dollar wine with the package is probably still a savings for you over paying full price without the package.

I agree, a couple dollars a glass for wine will not be an issue. Thanks for the real-time update!