Norway/France sold for scrap

bepsf

The former Captain of the Norway, whom I am friends with, told me today that he has received reports that the Norway's hull is taking a severe beating from the waves, even though she is beached. He said that the chances of her ever being refloated and seaworthy are drawing very dim.

Guess it's time to give up hope.

Rotterdam is quite correct in that the ship has been beached precisely in order to make sure that she is not going anywhere ever again.

In fact, the breakers have been progressively winching her closer and closer to shore in order to make it as difficult as possible to remove her. It is quite clear that the breakers are doing everything they can to ensure that this ship is broken up.

There has been a lot of hot air blown around about saving her, but we have to face facts and realize that it is the end. She is well enough stuck in the mud (or sand, or whatever it is) that if anyone tried to refloat her, the end result would probably be that she would just break apart.

As for the contents of the ship, I would advise extreme caution if anyone tries to sell you anything from the ship. At this point, everything remains the property of the breaker. Nothing has been sold to any traders or dealers yet. If anyone tries to sell you something from the NORWAY and claims it was taken from her while beached at Alang, chances are that they do not in fact own what they are claiming to sell you! There are people out there "selling" things that they themselves hope to buy but certainly have not bought yet (because they aren't up for sale yet). I have heard some very "interesting" stories about questionable sales practices when it comes to this stuff so please be very careful and make sure you buying from someone reputable and that that person in fact has the right to sell you what you're buying in the first place!

Thanks for that advice on purchasing items. There is a link for a trailer on a documentary someone is putting together: http://www.ssnorway.no/doc/

It was very nice. Hopefully it will be done in '07.

A quick note on another reason why she may never see service again. The new SOLAS rules for safety onboard cruise ships would make it extremely uneconomical to refurb her. Unfortunately like most things in life it comes down to dollars and cents.

Seeing the rust on her sides was like seeing tears streaming down.

I am happy that there are people out there that will keep her memories afloat.

She is still our family's favorite Ship. Glad someone is looking after her.

I don't mean to sound a depressing note, but no one is "looking after" her. The decision of the Indian court to halt scrapping for the moment has only slowed her demise, not stopped it. Her hull is already severely damaged; she is too solidly aground ever to float again. Even if the scrappers never get their hands & torches on her, the action of the waves and tides will cause her eventually to become little more than a rotting hulk. (To see what becomes of liners that run aground, you need only look at recent photos of what is left of the SS Constitution.)

Certainly ship historians and enthusiasts will preserve her memory; but then, that is true of all great ships that have met their end.

I'm always rather surprised by the number of people who only knew her as the Norway and who consider Norway their all-time favorite ship. Most people who knew and admired her as the ocean liner France would say that she lost her soul and beauty when she was converted into the cruise ship Norway. Still, that conversion preserved her and extended her life greatly, giving many more thousands of people an opportunity to experience a unique vessel. Obviously, even relegated to cruising as Norway, she still must have had an indefinable quality that isn't found aboard the boxboats of today.

I don't mean to sound a depressing note, but no one is "looking after" her. The decision of the Indian court to halt scrapping for the moment has only slowed her demise, not stopped it. Her hull is already severely damaged; she is too solidly aground ever to float again. Even if the scrappers never get their hands & torches on her, the action of the waves and tides will cause her eventually to become little more than a rotting hulk. (To see what becomes of liners that run aground, you need only look at recent photos of what is left of the SS Constitution.)

Certainly ship historians and enthusiasts will preserve her memory; but then, that is true of all great ships that have met their end.

I'm always rather surprised by the number of people who only knew her as the Norway and who consider Norway their all-time favorite ship. Most people who knew and admired her as the ocean liner France would say that she lost her soul and beauty when she was converted into the cruise ship Norway. Still, that conversion preserved her and extended her life greatly, giving many more thousands of people an opportunity to experience a unique vessel. Obviously, even relegated to cruising as Norway, she still must have had an indefinable quality that isn't found aboard the boxboats of today.

I was on her as the FRANCE & the Norway...the FRANCE was the ultimate....I was glad to see her sail again as the norway....it wasn't until NCL added the additional decks that I felt she was being abused....oh but the days of the FRANCE!!!!!

I'm always rather surprised by the number of people who only knew her as the Norway and who consider Norway their all-time favorite ship. Most people who knew and admired her as the ocean liner France would say that she lost her soul and beauty when she was converted into the cruise ship Norway.

Ah, but as you said, they only knew her as NORWAY. If they never knew FRANCE, then they couldn't go around comparing how this or that used to be better. People who had never known FRANCE were able to see NORWAY in a very different perspective from those who had.

Look, none of us are onsite and none of us are naval architects or engineers...however, I think there is one thing I do not agree with and question on this posting. The Norway was "beached" on what would appear to be sand, dirt or something that is non-rock or coral.

Let us not forget that the hull of the Norway was built as an ocean liner to withstand the speed and storms of crossing the Atlantic and as such is not in the same league as hulls from cruise ships...Norway's hull is much stronger and more durable.

So, I question the theory that the beaching and erosion will cause Norway's hull to become unseaworthy...I don't argue that the rust from lack of maintenance certainly makes it look bad!

As I said in a previous post, maybe there is someting going on behind the scenes that we do not know of...we must wait for the Indian Court's decision and accept it regardless of what it may be.

Long live SS Norway!:cool:

Ah, but as you said, they only knew her as NORWAY. If they never knew FRANCE, then they couldn't go around comparing how this or that used to be better. People who had never known FRANCE were able to see NORWAY in a very different perspective from those who had.

Ahhh... I suppose that's a perfect illustration of the saying ignorance is bliss.;)

When I was in my early teens (as I recall), I once assembled a model of the France and lent it to a local travel agency, who displayed it in their window. I felt quite proud about that. Alas, however, the heat from the sun dried out the glue that held the thing together, & when I eventually got it back from the agency it had fallen apart. At least the real thing had many more glory days than my model.:)

The Norway was "beached" on what would appear to be sand, dirt or something that is non-rock or coral.

Let us not forget that the hull of the Norway was built as an ocean liner to withstand the speed and storms of crossing the Atlantic and as such is not in the same league as hulls from cruise ships...Norway's hull is much stronger and more durable.

So, I question the theory that the beaching and erosion will cause Norway's hull to become unseaworthy...I don't argue that the rust from lack of maintenance certainly makes it look bad!

As I said in a previous post, maybe there is someting going on behind the scenes that we do not know of...we must wait for the Indian Court's decision and accept it regardless of what it may be.

The discussion re. the fate of the France/Norway/Blue Lady has been going on ad infinitum here & on other boards. Whatever one's opinions, several facts seem clear:

1) One doesn't have to be a naval engineer to realize that, however strong the ship's hull & however soft the "sand" on which she rests, being beached cannot do her any good, to say the least. Being able to withstand storms at sea while afloat does not mean being able to survive being beached under these conditions without suffering any substantial damage. See the comments posted by bh2359, above, among others.

2) As for the hope that some mystery buyer will suddenly come along & rescue & restore her: There was more than ample time for this to happen before she was towed to Alang & beached. If a buyer did not come forward while she was afloat and for sale, why should a buyer come forward now, several months after she was beached? A few months ago there were rumors that a consortium that would bring her to Dubai & operate her as a hotel/conference center. Obviously this did not happen, & wishful thinking will not make it or anything like it happen in the future.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

India supreme court wants another report to be delivered in three months. This time they want to know about asbestos dust control.....They are turning into a real joke....sound like politicians.......delay after delay does play into some groups plans....

Sounds like the Indian Supreme Court likes the payola that is provided from some slush fund at the Alang Breaking Yards...too bad...I always had the utmost respect for India and her judicial system...guess I was wrong...they appear to be as corrupt as every other country in that part of the world.

If the court leaves Norway there long enough, she will fall apart by herself!

Where are those Green Peace activists when they are needed?:confused:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear the PGH...the thought of thousands of Indians running around Norway with their blowtorches is not a pleasant one but one I guess we all now have to accept.

At lease we now have the hope that we will see the SS United States rise from her dormant status and once again sail the seas...let's hope that Colin is serious about SS US and makes it happen...I would love to sail on her!:cool:

• 1 month later...

I sailed on the Norway three times, including my very first cruise. While I have been on many more cruises, and have enjoyed each and every one of them - nothing can compare to the magic of that first cruise, and the wonder and glory that was the Norway.

I am proud to have sailed her, proud to be part of her passenger history.

A more fitting and dignified ending would have been if they just took her out to sea, and let her sink to the bottom of the ocean - and allow her to sleep forever in the waters that she sailed.

Seeing the ship like this just breaks my heart!

• 1 month later...

Archived