Dress Code

johnnyd57uk

I tend to wear grey trousers with a black tuxedo, white shirt and bow tie on formal nights when cruising . As most guys wear matching black trousers I am wondering if my grey/black combination is out of kilter with dress convention. Any thoughts on this anyone ?

I tend to wear grey trousers with a black tuxedo, white shirt and bow tie on formal nights when cruising . As most guys wear matching black trousers I am wondering if my grey/black combination is out of kilter with dress convention. Any thoughts on this anyone ?

I am no fashion expert. But, I do know that wearing a black "tuxedo" jacket with anything other than matching black tuxedo pants will only serve to make fellow passengers think you packed your suitcase in the dark and made a mistake. Of course, grey slacks with a blue or black blazer would be fine for "prom night" on any mass market ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, makes a difference.

But if it's not Cunard I don't think there'll be a problem.

JB :)

JB there are a few other cruise lines that we sail (in addition to Cunard) that on a formal night the top half does matter. ;p

Keith

Have to say that even on P&O with its "Butlins crowd" (as described by another Cruiser) the formal nights were pretty much adhered to. Having a look round I didnt see anyone in grey trousers only black so I thought maybe i'm dressed for a wedding lol.

I am no fashion expert. But, I do know that wearing a black "tuxedo" jacket with anything other than matching black tuxedo pants will only serve to make fellow passengers think you packed your suitcase in the dark and made a mistake. Of course, grey slacks with a blue or black blazer would be fine for "prom night" on any mass market ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This could be the answer I was looking for.

Because there is virtually no enforced dress code anywhere other than Cunard, you will have enough of your body covered to get seated in any MDR.

The question remains: why? It seems like a silly, halfassed way of playing formal.

Not sure if I quite understand. I dont like playing. I do like formal. Its an opportunity to get away from those that havnt made the acquaintance of a bar of soap for many a year. Dark grey trousers looked ok and the reason I had them was they came up as a choice when I looked for Tuxedo trousers online some years ago. They dont appear to be the convention so I am changing to black from now on.

I also see that P&O re saying they will start to enforce dress codes which is great

Dark grey trousers looked ok and the reason I had them was they came up as a choice when I looked for Tuxedo trousers online some years ago.

Wait, what? You bought your tux jacket and trousers online as separates? Did it not occur to you that grey trousers were intended to be worn with a grey tux jacket?

I'm guessing you weren't married at the time.

You can buy black trousers to go with your dinner jacket at a reasonable price in many places- even Asda! :)

The lines which have insist on formal dress, such as P&O, Fred O, C&M, don't insist on this in the buffet... and the longer the cruise, the more the buffet is filled.. :D