Vegetarian starters not marked on the menu?

Wondering if anyone can shed some light on this please! I've only recently become a vegetarian -so hadn't noticed this on previous RCI cruises- but it seems that on certain MDR menu's, what looks like vegetarian option starter isn't marked as such (with the V shaped symbol).

For example, the Baked French Onion Soup/Creamy Wild Mushroom Soup/Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Soup/Burrata starters don't list any meat in their descriptions but also don't have the vegetarian symbol.

I know I can ask my waiter onboard, but I'm just curious now, so any explanation is appreciated! :)

It’s possible that they’re using a non-vegetarian base for the broth (that is often the case with soups). That’s usually the reason a vegetable soup is not considered vegetarian.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Exactly. Onion soup is made with beef broth. You would have to ask about the other items.

Wondering if anyone can shed some light on this please! I've only recently become a vegetarian -so hadn't noticed this on previous RCI cruises- but it seems that on certain MDR menu's, what looks like vegetarian option starter isn't marked as such (with the V shaped symbol).

For example, the Baked French Onion Soup/Creamy Wild Mushroom Soup/Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Soup/Burrata starters don't list any meat in their descriptions but also don't have the vegetarian symbol.

I know I can ask my waiter onboard, but I'm just curious now, so any explanation is appreciated! :)

French onion soup is NOT vegetarian. the base is beef broth. so I would imagine the other soups listed are also using beef broth base( my mushroom soup certainly does)

So yes to all of the above, and also, sometimes they mess up. On the old "Spice" menus, one of the cold soups wasn't marked vegetarian, and I asked, so my server asked the chef and it was - it was a mistake and they didn't want to re-print all the menus. There was also a scallop or shrimp dish that WAS marked with the V or leaf on those, and clearly that isn't.

Make sure you tell your server you are vegetarian (and if you are strict, make sure to ask about gelatin in the desserts), and they can always ask about the kitchen about something for you.

I'm glad to find this thread, and especially the menu pictures. I've been exploring vegan options for our December Oasis cruise and am finding it to be difficult. This is my first RCCL cruise (I'm a long-time Disney regular and know their ways to assist) so I'm not very familiar with the willingness of the kitchen to accommodate. Vegetarian is so much easier to maintain. I'm just doing my research and reading everything I can. Having worked in the service industry for a long time, the last thing I want to do is be a pain in the butt to servers and kitchen staff.

As someone that has been a vegetarian most of my life a little advice. Always check what is in your food. Meat is in a lot more foods than you think. From skittles to apple pie and many other place you would never think of unless you

Check.

I'm glad to find this thread, and especially the menu pictures. I've been exploring vegan options for our December Oasis cruise and am finding it to be difficult. This is my first RCCL cruise (I'm a long-time Disney regular and know their ways to assist) so I'm not very familiar with the willingness of the kitchen to accommodate. Vegetarian is so much easier to maintain. I'm just doing my research and reading everything I can. Having worked in the service industry for a long time, the last thing I want to do is be a pain in the butt to servers and kitchen staff.

For Vegan you really need to have RCCL assist you or eat only steamed veggies and fruit. Very difficult to do on your own without assistance. Even honey is taboo.

Honestly, unless there are cultural or religious reasons for going vegan, from a dietary perspective, you're walking into a buzzsaw. And enhancing the wealth of Big Supplements and run the risk of many charlatans and health scammers. So know your options and restrictions based on your land experience before cruising.

Vegetarian is easier and lacto-vegetarian can allow meat products like broths and milk and cheese and some practitioners will eat seafood.

• 3 weeks later...
For Vegan you really need to have RCCL assist you or eat only steamed veggies and fruit. Very difficult to do on your own without assistance. Even honey is taboo.

Honestly, unless there are cultural or religious reasons for going vegan, from a dietary perspective, you're walking into a buzzsaw. And enhancing the wealth of Big Supplements and run the risk of many charlatans and health scammers. So know your options and restrictions based on your land experience before cruising.

Vegetarian is easier and lacto-vegetarian can allow meat products like broths and milk and cheese and some practitioners will eat seafood.

Being vegan (and having been vegetarian prior to that for years), I'm well aware of the restrictions. It's the options onboard RCCL I'm exploring. I'm familiar with Disney's excellent accommodation of vegan dietary restrictions/needs, but RCCL is a new experience.

French Onion soup is generally made with beef broth, and after having it on Royal Caribbean, it is beef broth. I have had the mushroom soup, and I am also 100% positive it is made with a broth, beef or chicken.

The Sweet potato butternut squash soup can go either way, my guess it uses a chicken stock as that it is what I use my version of it.

For burrata, I am guessing you are talking about a salad. Burrata is a version of fresh mozzerella, so if it is a salad, I assume it would be caprese style. i.e. the cheese, tomatoes, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and slivers of basil.

When you embark on the cruise you might want to head to where the Maitre 'D's are located to discuss your dietery needs. From my understanding they can go through the menus, and figure out something that is beyond "boiled veggies"

Being vegan (and having been vegetarian prior to that for years), I'm well aware of the restrictions. It's the options onboard RCCL I'm exploring. I'm familiar with Disney's excellent accommodation of vegan dietary restrictions/needs, but RCCL is a new experience.

I've never done a Disney cruise, but go to the resorts regularly and I've always been pleased with how accommodating they are for making things vegan.

I'm doing my first cruise with Royal in December, and I've been trying to research options also. I had emailed special needs and the reply I received was pretty vague. I have heard that the dining room can make some Indian vegan dishes that are off the menu, but I don't have specifics.

I've mostly been researching by watching YouTube videos that show the different food available to try to get some ideas of what I might be able to eat.

Our last cruise was the first one we actually asked for vegan food. Our head waiter tried his best to accommodate us. On the second night he presented us with a vegan menu that had about 5-6 choices. We were given this menu every night and asked to give our order 24 hours in advance. They also served us several Indian dishes made by the crew chefs that were outstanding. Funny thing was, our assistant waiter (a young Chinese woman) was disgusted we were eating food prepared for the crew and that we were really enjoying it. Oh well. Made for some laughs for us. Speak to your head waiter the first night. Remain positive and flexible and they will bend into a pretzel to help you out. (Our sailing was in Grandeur)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So yes to all of the above, and also, sometimes they mess up. On the old "Spice" menus, one of the cold soups wasn't marked vegetarian, and I asked, so my server asked the chef and it was - it was a mistake and they didn't want to re-print all the menus. There was also a scallop or shrimp dish that WAS marked with the V or leaf on those, and clearly that isn't.

Make sure you tell your server you are vegetarian (and if you are strict, make sure to ask about gelatin in the desserts), and they can always ask about the kitchen about something for you.

That is going to make desserts trickier for you! Both RCCL and X over use gelatin in their desserts. I do not like gelatin and this is a major complaint about the desserts. I have never seen so many desserts that are filled with gelatin. Seems like using it to replace more expensive cream etc...