Onboard Texting - Symphony

quick question , can you receive standard cell phone service onboard when on a mediterranean cruise,

Yes, two options:

Buy the shp's internet (VOOM) service and turn on WiFi calling on your phone. WiFi calling has to be enabled for the first time while connected to cellular. No charges from your cell company this way.

Use the ship's cell tower (Cellular at Sea) and be charged by the minute by your cell company. Data is very expensive this way. Some cell carriers have plans that can reduce the cost for coverage while at sea.

Yes, two options:

Buy the shp's internet (VOOM) service and turn on WiFi calling on your phone. WiFi calling has to be enabled for the first time while connected to cellular. No charges from your cell company this way.

Use the ship's cell tower (Cellular at Sea) and be charged by the minute by your cell company. Data is very expensive this way. Some cell carriers have plans that can reduce the cost for coverage while at sea.

my question actually relates to land based phone signal.

as we are european we have free roaming

Once the ship is so many miles away from shore, it will turn on it's cell tower and your phone will probably be connected to that.

Edited by Host Clarea

Once you get to your port the ship will turn their cell service off. We did a Mediterranean cruise in 2016 and my phone has an international plan. So we were able to make cellular calls just fine when doing excursions. Like the other user was mentioning, the newer smartphones have a feature called Wi-Fi calling. So once you got on land and say went to a local restaurant or coffee shop that had Wi-Fi, you could use that to call on your phone. My wife's phone did not have an international plan. So Facebook Messenger was a good option for her to make calls to anyone around the world with any Wi-Fi connection.

• 1 month later...

So if I purchase the VOOM package I can text to anyone at no charge (Verizon user with android devices).

I'm considering buying two VOOM packages for the kids (both have WiFi only android tablets) and then just getting the Royal IQ for my phone and my wives so we can text if we separate and use the app to plan things.

I may just tell my kids, "welcome to the 1980's where you go outside to play!" :)

So if I purchase the VOOM package I can text to anyone at no charge (Verizon user with android devices).

I'm considering buying two VOOM packages for the kids (both have WiFi only android tablets) and then just getting the Royal IQ for my phone and my wives so we can text if we separate and use the app to plan things.

Only if your phone is capable of doing "Wifi Calling". You have to enable Wifi Calling on your phone and when on ship, put your phone on airplane mode. Then connect to the internet with your VOOM. Wifi calling should start to work.

Only if your phone is capable of doing "Wifi Calling". You have to enable Wifi Calling on your phone and when on ship, put your phone on airplane mode. Then connect to the internet with your VOOM. Wifi calling should start to work.

Thanks we both have Galaxy S7's and I know they have WiFi calling!

I may just tell my kids, "welcome to the 1980's where you go outside to play!" :)

If you purchase VOOM and want to text with no additional charges, you'll need to have an app like TextNow...

If you purchase VOOM and want to text with no additional charges, you'll need to have an app like TextNow...

Not if your phone can do Wifi calling. If so you do not need any app whatsoever.

Has anyone had any recent experience with wifi messaging on SotS? Still worried about how I'm going to communicate with my teenagers on board.

TIA

You will need VOOM packages if you rely on phones or make other arrangements.

• 7 months later...
6 minutes ago, biggle2000 said:

No it isn’t because it is not needed as the new app is so much better

What part of my statement is not correct? :classic_unsure:

BTW, other than the version on Allure which has texting, I think most who used both would say that the Royal IQ app is still better at this point.

42 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

What part of my statement is not correct? :classic_unsure:

BTW, other than the version on Allure which has texting, I think most who used both would say that the Royal IQ app is still better at this point.

Sorry, having used both new Royal is better than Royal IQ. It is for us, anyway.

• 4 months later...
7 minutes ago, Sentrygirl said:

I have a old iPhone (3G) and do not have WiFi calling capability. Will it work on the Symphony using iMessage or Royal IQ? We are sailing in July 2019.

Royal IQ is not available on SY.  SY uses the Royal  app.  If you can download it on the App Store then it should work on board. 

You would need the internet package to use i message.  

At at this point I believe that Symphony does not have free texting 

Edited by Ourusualbeach