Coffee Bar

leekristina25

Yes of course I know you can get coffee at the lido or room service. It's not great, better than nothing, but not great as many people comment on here and I've experienced myself. I just wish you could get a "Good" cup of coffee at the coffee bar since the free stuff is not so good.

Yes you can get a regular coffee at the coffee bar. I bought one myself (can't remember what I paid) hoping to get a "Good" cup of coffee. Here's my opinion: the Lido coffee is free, drinkable (there was a time when it wasn't) and better than the coffee at the coffee bar. I'm sure the coffee drinks are delicious but the coffee itself is the worst on the ship. I would rank the coffees as MDR>Room Service>Lido>Coffee Bar.

Yes you can get a regular coffee at the coffee bar. I bought one myself (can't remember what I paid) hoping to get a "Good" cup of coffee. Here's my opinion: the Lido coffee is free, drinkable (there was a time when it wasn't) and better than the coffee at the coffee bar. I'm sure the coffee drinks are delicious but the coffee itself is the worst on the ship. I would rank the coffees as MDR>Room Service>Lido>Coffee Bar.

The coffee bar on the Elation only had espresso drinks (and the other listed drinks on the menu), they did not have "regular" coffee. There was no "regular" coffee machine anywhere in the coffee bar area.

The coffee bar on the Elation only had espresso drinks (and the other listed drinks on the menu), they did not have "regular" coffee. There was no "regular" coffee machine anywhere in the coffee bar area.

If you order a cafe Americano, they make a shot of espresso and then add hot water to it- the result is a drink that tastes like just good ole fashioned coffee, and its usually piping hot!

I do not see a regular cup of coffee on the menu, only fancy coffee type drinks. We just drink regular coffee like you get at Dunkin Donuts or restaurants where you add cream and sugar if you like. Can you get just a plain cup of coffee there?

On the Ships with the Java Blue Cafe there's a "Java Blue Drip" offered.

https://www.carnival.com/cruise-food/javablue-cafe

I also remember seeing a Starbucks logo on the Vista in the Java Cafe. My kids saw it and immediately pointed it out to me :D

This thread has a picture of this Starbucks sign on the Breeze. It wasn't this large on the Vista. It was small over the espresso machine. Ugh I wish I would have taken a picture!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2508161

Edited by goofygal531

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Can anyone tell me if the Coffee Bar (Java Blue) is crowded in the mornings? It seems insane to me that they only have one coffee bar on the whole ship, but I guess it is possible the free plain coffee draws people elsewhere. I love iced/frozen coffee, but if I have to wait in a huge line, I can settle for boring free room service coffee.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Daisy320 said:

Can anyone tell me if the Coffee Bar (Java Blue) is crowded in the mornings? It seems insane to me that they only have one coffee bar on the whole ship, but I guess it is possible the free plain coffee draws people elsewhere. I love iced/frozen coffee, but if I have to wait in a huge line, I can settle for boring free room service coffee.

On our last 2 cruises there usually wasn't any line or even anyone else there when we went, if there was a line, it was at most only a few people ahead of us and not too much of a wait.  

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:17 AM, Daisy320 said:

It's usually not that crowded. I think the most I have had to wait is 2 people in front of me.

My daughter has made her own frozen drink on Lido by filling a coffee mug over half way with ice cream then adding coffee. :-)

3 hours ago, grantbob said:

It's usually not that crowded. I think the most I have had to wait is 2 people in front of me.

My daughter has made her own frozen drink on Lido by filling a coffee mug over half way with ice cream then adding coffee. 🙂

That is GREAT news. And what a great idea with the ice cream!

Just realize that all of this varies from ship to ship.  And day to day.  Sometimes we would hit the coffee bar and no one was there, sometimes the line was ten people deep.  Also, things on the menu vary.  There wasn't any Honest Tea on our ship.  I would've definitely got one.  There weren't any non-alcoholic bottles of stuff for us to get on cheers except water.  Cans of carbonated water and rockstar were available but that was it.  No tea, vitamin water, power ade, etc. that I could find.

On 3/13/2019 at 12:17 PM, Daisy320 said:

It seems insane to me that they only have one coffee bar on the whole ship, but I guess it is possible the free plain coffee draws people elsewhere. 

On some ships...the Conquest class ships I've been on...there is a mini-coffee shop at the back of the Lido buffet dining area that's opened only in the morning.  I don't know whether or not that's the case with the Java Blue ships though.  I'll find out in February on the Panorama.  

9 hours ago, Crazy4Camping said:

Just realize that all of this varies from ship to ship.....  There wasn't any Honest Tea on our ship.  I would've definitely got one.  There weren't any non-alcoholic bottles of stuff for us to get on cheers except water.  Cans of carbonated water and rockstar were available but that was it.  No tea, vitamin water, power ade, etc. that I could find.

You're right.  The problem is that you chose to cruise on a Fantasy Class ship that is 70K tons and antiquated with some of the offerings.  Had everything available at the coffee bar on the Horizon including cold cans of soda in their display case so that you did not have to deal with warm cans being poured over ice.

1 hour ago, crusinpsychRN said:

they are delicious!

The Mocha Java Rev-Up is chocolate and coffee ice cream with milk and a shot of espresso.  Swap out the chocolate ice cream for vanilla and it becomes a Latte milkshake.

On 3/16/2019 at 1:49 AM, SNJCruisers said:

You're right.  The problem is that you chose to cruise on a Fantasy Class ship that is 70K tons and antiquated with some of the offerings.  Had everything available at the coffee bar on the Horizon including cold cans of soda in their display case so that you did not have to deal with warm cans being poured over ice.

Yes, true, but being our first cruise it was fine.  If the ship was larger, I would've never figured out where everything was!  We don't know anything about "classes" of ships.  If I ever cruise again I would prob pick this type again.  Had everything we needed just didn't realize about the drinks.  Def not a deal breaker I just won't get Cheers next time!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crazy4Camping said:

Yes, true, but being our first cruise it was fine.  If the ship was larger, I would've never figured out where everything was!  We don't know anything about "classes" of ships.  If I ever cruise again I would prob pick this type again. 

There are in general four types of classes of ships in the Carnival fleet.  The Fantasy Class is the oldest, built in the 90's and they are about 70 K tons.  The Spirit  Class, which was built for Alaska cruising, is about 88K tons.  The Conquest class is just over 100 K tons and the Vista Class is just over 130 K tons.

Some people are happy with what they are accustomed to, while others like to evolve and try something different, which would include sailing on a larger, newer ship that would have more bells and whistles.  But, if you were satisfied with the experience you had, stick with what you know. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

There are in general four types of classes of ships in the Carnival fleet.  The Fantasy Class is the oldest, built in the 90's and they are about 70 K tons.  The Spirit  Class, which was built for Alaska cruising, is about 88K tons.  The Conquest class is just over 100 K tons and the Vista Class is just over 130 K tons.

Some people are happy with what they are accustomed to, while others like to evolve and try something different, which would include sailing on a larger, newer ship that would have more bells and whistles.  But, if you were satisfied with the experience you had, stick with what you know. 

Thank you for this information.  I was wondering what the differences were, although I realized that ours was smaller and older than most.  I think that I would be afraid of sailing on a larger ship because many people talk about lines to get food and how deck chairs are hard to get, things like that.  I liked not feeling crowded and claustrophobic and that the lines for things weren't too long. That being said, I would be curious about these "bells and whistles"  other ships have!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Crazy4Camping said:

Thank you for this information.  I was wondering what the differences were, although I realized that ours was smaller and older than most.  I think that I would be afraid of sailing on a larger ship because many people talk about lines to get food and how deck chairs are hard to get, things like that.  I liked not feeling crowded and claustrophobic and that the lines for things weren't too long. That being said, I would be curious about these "bells and whistles"  other ships have!

We have only sailed the Fantasy and Spirit classes, and we like them, especially for the reasons you mentioned. But since we prefer to go on at least 7 day cruises, we are branching out and trying a larger, more "bells and whistles" ship, the Sunshine, here in 39 days for a 8 day cruise and see how that works for us. We really don't need much to enjoy a cruise, but I have to admit we are kind of excited and looking forward to the variety of dining options and such. If we like it, we will most likely be booking an 8 day on the Radiance for 2021.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...