Oceania vs. Royal

5 hours ago, Biker19 said:

@Hoopster95 should chime in on that soon.

<resurrection>

Biker bait? Way more lurking nowadays vs. actual posting, but couldn't resist 😉

I take it the poster here is using the Holiday Inn reference as RC vs. Ritz-Carlton reference as Oceania, perhaps to indicate how far apart they really are?

Without going into lots of detail, which I have in previous threads, my per-diem in a PH1 cabin on that trip was only about $40 more per person than on an average Oasis Class GS when you add all the extras you have to pay on RC. What was even more incredible was that I booked a PH for Cuba in Oceania Sirena which was less per diem than Empress at the time. 

My upcoming South America cruise in Feb on Marina 

Per diem = $430 in a 425sf luxury penthouse suite with butler

My business partner just booked a GS on Navigator 4-day in February through my TA so I know the exact pricing there. I will add UDP, internet package, full premium alcohol package, suite gratuities, room service charges, etc etc...

Per diem on Navigator = $343 ...

I didn't factor in the free 32oz Porthouse I get in Oceania's steakhouse nor the fresh grilled lobster every night, nor the $40 bottles of Amarone they serve in their Italian venue (included in the drink package) nor the premium $30 "Beautifuls" I get with Oceania's drink package (Hennesey XO + Grand Marnier)

If you're looking for an all inclusive suite life, adult focused high-end no kids, no slides, gorgeous furniture everywhere incl. the comfy pool deck, bedding/linens to die for, concierge lounge type atmosphere around the entire 66,000 ton ship (not just a 1000sf lounge), everyone dressed well, everyone like minded, amazing itineraries with half the passengers and about a 1:1 passenger to staff ratio, then I've learned Oceania is an excellent value when I compare to RC. When I want to sail to the Caribbean in a regular balcony, not bother with a alcohol package, have way more and excellent entertainment, be able to go to a comedy show or dance the night away, enjoy amenities like florider/slides/etc etc, then I will choose RC every time.

I have never cruised on Oceania.  I have cruised on RCI, Celebrity, and Azamara.  All 3 of Azamara ships are R class, small bathrooms and very small showers.  Azamara service is outstanding.  Azamara  MDR food is as good as specialty restaurants IMHO.  We choose based on itinerary.

We have taken many cruises, usually on Celebrity or Royal..Then we tried Oceania.  A world of difference. Food is far superior on Oceania.  We had booked a regular cabin and took an upsell to a Penthouse suite.  The cabin was wonderful, but the butler was useless . I asked his to unpack for us, he never did it.  I asked him for dinner one night in our cabin with our friends who were also in a suite next door to us, and he wouldn't do it.  I should have removed his tip from our charges but let it go.  We didn't let him ruin our trip. Otherwise, we LOVED Oceania and are going Sunday on them again.  Also we are going in March on Royal.  Not expecting the level of food or service, but it's a family cruise and I know the kids will love it.  Oceania is not a cruise for kids.  And we are paying less than our Oceania cruises.

2 hours ago, Pratique said:

What about the age factor. My parents are in their mid 70s and said they were the youngsters on the Sirena TA. Even the cruise director was in her 80s.

I am 69 and our friends we sailed with were mid 60's.  We were no where near the "youngest" on board.