Wine package - pre-buy or buy on board?

Wayfairers

Our next HAL cruise is 80 days. On previously long cruises I have purchased wine packages on board. This time I am considering pre-buying an 8 bottle package, but I wonder if I would get a better deal if I waited until I was on board to buy. Anyone know?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We usually would buy them ahead of time but then would always have to go to the front desk to ask for our Mariner discount. On our trip tomorrow we are buying onboard to see if the discount will automatically be applied.

If you do a world cruise, they sell some packages ahead of time that are cheaper then on the ship.

There was an earlier thread yesterday, as far as I know, it does matter for the on-board wine attendants. Buying the package on-line,does not give them their earnings, which they do get if you buy on board. For you it doesn’t matter, prices are the same.

Yesterdays thread;

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2616516

There was an earlier thread yesterday, as far as I know, it does matter for the on-board wine attendants. Buying the package on-line,does not give them their earnings, which they do get if you buy on board. For you it doesn’t matter, prices are the same.

Yesterdays thread;

I know that they charge the 15% gratuity online, so what earnings do you mean? As far a I understand, the drink gratuities are pooled and distributed, but perhaps I'm wrong. I do wonder if, for performance measures, there is a sales quota to be met by the servers, in which case could hurt individual servers.

OP, we generally buy any such packages on board but have occasionally bought online prior to a cruise. We've found prices are the same and haven't had to inquire about our discount as it has gotten applied within a couple of days of embarkation.

I know that they charge the 15% gratuity online, so what earnings do you mean? As far a I understand, the drink gratuities are pooled and distributed, but perhaps I'm wrong. I do wonder if, for performance measures, there is a sales quota to be met by the servers, in which case could hurt individual servers.

OP, we generally buy any such packages on board but have occasionally bought online prior to a cruise. We've found prices are the same and haven't had to inquire about our discount as it has gotten applied within a couple of days of embarkation.

I do not know if this is true, but I was once told by a wine attendant on board that buying the package on board, would benefit them. I do not know exactly to what extent, but since it did not matter for me, since being told at that occasion, I have since always bought the package on board, with our dining room wine attendant. I remember vaguely having seen a discussion about this some where on the board, that indicated the same.

If I am totally wrong, please let somebody step in and correct me.

I do not know if this is true, but I was once told by a wine attendant on board that buying the package on board, would benefit them. I do not know exactly to what extent, but since it did not matter for me, since being told at that occasion, I have since always bought the package on board, with our dining room wine attendant. I remember vaguely having seen a discussion about this some where on the board, that indicated the same.

If I am totally wrong, please let somebody step in and correct me.

LOL.... it's likely been discussed, and more than once or twice. :D I do expect that there must be some sort of performance measure set that includes sales and some recognition or remuneration involved for meeting/exceeding it.

Yesterdays thread;

Thanks for the address for the other thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In my opinion there is zero advantage to buying early. If you buy on board, mariner discounts automatically apply. If you talk to a wine steward you can learn which wines may be substituted if they’re short some wines, and which wines might be particular to your cruise, as opposed to what’s printed in stock menu. Price is the same, and avoids the “check to see if you got your discount” process. You will find sellers of wine packages in terminal where you board, by the Lido pool deck on boarding day, and of course by your wine steward.

Sent from my iPad using Forums