Lucky Coin on HAL ships

AD5ZA

Does anyone know if HAL ships have a lucky coin somewhere on any or all of their ships. Several other cruise lines have these coins. Carnival and NCL for example. These coins are usually a replica of the coin that is attached to the keel and are placed in not very obvious places. Fun to look for as you explore the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They are still being placed, also on the new builds, including Koningsdam. Coin was originally placed under the main mast in the old days of the wooden ships. Placing of the coin is still a memorable occasion an is also found on the HAL blog.

The coin ceremony of Nieuw Statendam can be found here, on the HAL Blog;

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/tag/coin-ceremony/

On most ships, they can be found on the backside of the most forward mast on the highest upper deck, welded (mostly two coins), behind glas.

These coins are original ones, since there are no other coins placed on the ship. Only in the old days the coins were not visible after being build.

Edited by Alphen

I like to find the coin on the ships we sail & take a picture of it. I believe on one ship it was at the bow on the promenade deck. All the others on the Sports Deck.

Allan

Thanks to all for answering my question. It pleases me to know there are coins on the HAL ships. I'll be on the Rotterdam in two weeks with several sea days to search for it's coin during a transatlantic. Hopefully will post a picture after returning.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On every HAL ship we've sailed, the coin (an old Dutch guilder) was behind a small window on the base of the mast on the observation deck - above the Crow's Nest.

This tradition - going back to the days of the triremes which defeated the Persian fleet at Salamis - was to provide the souls of any sailors lost with the ship the necessary fare to pay Charon to ferry them across the Styx into the afterworld. Any well-rigged sailboat nowadays has a coin placed under the mast as it is stepped.