Has anyone stayed at Kantishna Lodge in Denali Park ?

jrmende63

We are staying 3 days and 2 nights in Denali at Kantishna Lodge. We are wanting to hike and just see the wilderness. We are very excited for this experience and just wonder if any member here has stayed at the Lodge? Our stay is not until June 2019, but I am doing research now. We are booked on Radiance of the Seas with the land tour included.

You have a RCI land tour that has you 2 nights at the Kantishna Lodge??? I've been to this lodge but stayed at the Skylon. :)

Yes. We do have two nights at Kantishna. We were wondering what things there are to do there? We want hike but did not know what else there is to do there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've camped out there but never stayed at the Roadhouse. It's nice, but be aware that there is no cell or internet service so you will be completely off the grid for three days. Activities are centered around the outdoors - hiking, mountain biking, fishing, gold panning, etc. You can arrange flightseeing from the Kantishna airport.

I've camped out there but never stayed at the Roadhouse. It's nice, but be aware that there is no cell or internet service so you will be completely off the grid for three days. Activities are centered around the outdoors - hiking, mountain biking, fishing, gold panning, etc. You can arrange flightseeing from the Kantishna airport.

Thank you so much. Yes, we are aware we are off the grid. That is exciting!

We spent two nights at the Kantishna Backcountry Lodge in June a few years ago. We took the Park Connection bus from Anchorage to Denali and the lodge bus out to Kantishna, the food was good, they do have hiking opportunities or fishing or whatever you want to do. It’s kind of like camp. Lots of mosquitoes in June and I had purchased a headnet in Anchorage and did use it. We went on a guided hike and were fortunate enough to see Denali clear and unobstructed. We could go many more times and not have that experience, though. There were also opportunities for flightseeing or even flying back to the entrance of the park. We took the bus back to the entrance, stayed overnight at the Chalets, and the train back to Anchorage. Because the bus was not full we could move around freely. Look online at the webpage, there is a very well done video. I know nothing about RCI’s tours.

We spent two nights at the Kantishna Backcountry Lodge in June a few years ago. We took the train to Denali and the lodge bus out to Kantishna, the food was good, they do have hiking opportunities or fishing or whatever you want to do. It’s kind of like camp. Lots of mosquitoes in June and I had purchased a headnet in Anchorage and did use it. We went on a guided hike and were fortunate enough to see Denali clear and unobstructed. We could go many more times and not have that experience, though. There were also opportunities for flightseeing or even flying back to the entrance of the park. We took the bus back. Because the bus was not full we could move around freely. Look online at the webpage, there is a very well done video. I know nothing about RCI’s tours.

Thank you so much for the information.

The whole benefit of Kantishan is to get involved with the docents and the lodge programs. With the cost, I make my stay there count and load up joining programs.

My priority is more wildlife, so, if I go back, I'd probably only stay a single night (if available) since you have to be on the move- with the park shuttle buses, for a wildlife priority. Sitting in Kantishna isn't going to be the good choice for wildlife. :)

If your trip is before mid August- absolutely you need to have a bug net- and full strength Deet/Deep Woods off. Don't even waste your time, with anything else. The mosquitoes are a given and harsh. Being well prepared is essential.

The whole benefit of Kantishan is to get involved with the docents and the lodge programs. With the cost, I make my stay there count and load up joining programs.

My priority is more wildlife, so, if I go back, I'd probably only stay a single night (if available) since you have to be on the move- with the park shuttle buses, for a wildlife priority. Sitting in Kantishna isn't going to be the good choice for wildlife. :)

If your trip is before mid August- absolutely you need to have a bug net- and full strength Deet/Deep Woods off. Don't even waste your time, with anything else. The mosquitoes are a given and harsh. Being well prepared is essential.

Our trip is June 2019. We will take bug nets and deep woods off.

The reason I chose this land package is it gets us all the way into Denali. We want to hike and explore. Hoping to see animals going in and out on the buses.

The first time we went to Alaska we did not get to do any land tours. This land tour Royal Caribbean has put together ( 10 A) is perfect for us to see Alaska.

Thank you for your tips. We will be prepared.

Our trip is June 2019. We will take bug nets and deep woods off.

The reason I chose this land package is it gets us all the way into Denali. We want to hike and explore. Hoping to see animals going in and out on the buses.

The first time we went to Alaska we did not get to do any land tours. This land tour Royal Caribbean has put together ( 10 A) is perfect for us to see Alaska.

Thank you for your tips. We will be prepared.

A nice option offered by RCI, but only a suggestion- I'd simply dump the Exit Glacier option- or go on your own- early- take advantage and consider a Kenai Fjords boat tour. A top tour choice for varied wildlife. 11:30a tour is easy to join.

I second the dump the Exit tour.....and do the Kenai Fjords tour....taking one as long as possible. The longest one does go out in the open ocean however, so if you are prone to being seasick, take one of the shorter ones, or just take some Bonine...They are amazing trips. I am fortunate to go every year...and spend a lot of time exploring Prince William sound on our friend's charter boat. Kantishna Lodge is an amazing place....I have been there a few times. The programs they have are pretty good, even for an Alaskan....Being off the grid is not such a big deal...If you are off the road over a mile or two, there rarely are services....or indoor plumbing...makes life interesting. People live here like this by choice....The road to Kantishna is amazing...BTW, Na on the end of any word means river in Athabascan...which are the people who live in that part of the world. They are related to the Navajo, and not at all to the coastal cultures of the Inuit and the Yupik...It is a simple lodge, the food is good, and I think you will find that you will not be bored at all....

I second the dump the Exit tour.....and do the Kenai Fjords tour....taking one as long as possible. The longest one does go out in the open ocean however, so if you are prone to being seasick, take one of the shorter ones, or just take some Bonine...They are amazing trips. I am fortunate to go every year...and spend a lot of time exploring Prince William sound on our friend's charter boat. Kantishna Lodge is an amazing place....I have been there a few times. The programs they have are pretty good, even for an Alaskan....Being off the grid is not such a big deal...If you are off the road over a mile or two, there rarely are services....or indoor plumbing...makes life interesting. People live here like this by choice....The road to Kantishna is amazing...BTW, Na on the end of any word means river in Athabascan...which are the people who live in that part of the world. They are related to the Navajo, and not at all to the coastal cultures of the Inuit and the Yupik...It is a simple lodge, the food is good, and I think you will find that you will not be bored at all....

Thank you so much for all the info and the pictures!

We are very excited to go on the land tour. I know my son and DIL will want to do the hike to Exit Glacier. Do you think we could do both the Glacier and the Kenai tour? Our Land excursion has us staying the first night at Windsong in Seward so time won’t be a factor that day.

Thank you so much for all the info and the pictures!

We are very excited to go on the land tour. I know my son and DIL will want to do the hike to Exit Glacier. Do you think we could do both the Glacier and the Kenai tour? Our Land excursion has us staying the first night at Windsong in Seward so time won’t be a factor that day.

What "hike"? Sorry, if it's the Harding Icefield trail- nope . You can add the 1 hour loop walk however. I always favor the Aialik/Holgate tour, which leaves around 10am? No problem doing this with an overnight in Seward. Most of the time, unfortunately they'll have you on the bus out of there, early the next morning.

Alternatively- it's simple to replicate your entire routing independently- and would give you a whole lot more options. You already, have figured out, what you are doing in Talkeetna? Want to tour out of there? I find sometimes, with cruisetours being fixed- acceptance of the "package" is at the expense of priorities. I'm an advocate to make sure your not missing something of priority interest. Especially if not a frequent visitor and it isn't likely to be a yearly trip perhaps?

Actually, I realize we won’t be able to do both. So I will discuss with them and see what to do.

Talkeetna.. is up in the air. We have to sit down and round table. Honestly the only priority that hubby and I have is to stay in Denali. We are doing this on our tour. Everything else that we do is icing on the cake.

I will check out the Aialik/ Holgate tour.

The 8.2-mile round trip Harding Icefield Trail is a spectacular day hike leaving from the Exit Glacier Area. Starting on the valley floor, the trail winds through cottonwood and alder forests, passes though heather filled meadows and ultimately climbs well above tree line to a breath-taking view of the Icefield. The top of the trail is a window to past ice ages - a horizon of ice and snow that stretches as far as the eye can see, broken only by an occasional nunatak, or lonely peak.

Harding-Icefield-Fiona-RD-255pix_1.jpg?maxwidth=650&autorotate=falseView from the end of the Harding Icefield Trail.NPS Photo / F. North

The trail is strenuous! Hikers gain approximately 1,000 feet of elevation with every mile. Allow at least 6-8 hours for the hike. Although the view from the top is well worth the effort, you need not hike all the way to the top to experience the wonders of this trail. Even a short hike up the trail affords impressive views of the valley floor and Exit Glacier's terminus.

Be prepared! Check on trail conditions before starting out - the upper portion of the trail is often covered with snow through early July and there may be avalanche danger. Be prepared for storms, high winds, intense sunlight, and sudden temperature changes. Bring warm clothes, rain gear, sturdy footwear, sunglasses, and sunscreen. Carry plenty of water (at least 2 liters per person), or bring along a filter - untreated water from streams along the trail may contain Giardia, a parasite that can cause severe abdominal distress.

Stay on the trail. Alpine vegetation is extremely fragile. Careless hikers who cut switchbacks, along with frequent summer rains, cause tremendous erosion. Volunteers help restore and maintain this trail every year. Please respect their hard work by sticking to the trail.

Trails

A network of short trails leads to different views of Exit Glacier, beginning at the Exit Glacier Nature Center and the parking lot. To hike all the trails, start by turning left at the nature center and following the accessible trail through the cottonwood forest to the Glacier View, a panoramic vista of Exit Glacier spilling down from the Harding Icefield. This one-mile accessible trail loops back to the parking area, or you can turn left at the trail-side kiosk and continue .6 miles on to overlooks via the Edge of the Glacier trail.

Getting to the toe of the glacier requires crossing the rocky outwash plain. There is no set trail across the plain, and stream channels change often. Due to frequent flooding, this area may be not be accessible. If water levels are low, you can make your way to the terminus or toe, but don't approach the glacier in places where the ice is over your head. Huge, heavy chunks of ice can fall off without warning. Check the current conditions for updated information on warnings or closures.

The Edge of the Glacier trail is a well maintained trail which provides views of Exit Glacier. Follow this moderately strenuous trail to an overlook and view the glacier in its own glacially carved valley.

This is an easy trail to do, AND you get to see the glacier...

Laughing Husky... thank you for the information. I am not sure what trail we will be doing. All I know is hiking to the face of the Glacier. But if we decide to do the Kenai Fjords tour, then there will not be enough time to do both. The cruise line has us doing the hike to the face of the Glacier. But we might just check into the land tour and then go do the Kenai Fjords tour.