Hotel near Cape Liberty Port

Wow, so many options!! We are flying into Newark, our flight arrives a little after noon. We would like to be able to walk to a few places as we are not too familiar with the trains and subways. After all we are from Texas and the only way to get from place to place here is by car! Thanks to everyone for all the great info!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What is the exact date you are flying in? There's no place to walk to at EWR except to the Jersey Gardens Mall if you're in the right hotel. If your budget permits, look closely at The Jersey City Newport area. You will not be disappointed. For $2.75/pp you can take the quick ride on PATH to the World Trade Center and see the 911 Memorial and Freedom Tower. You don't need to be familiar with trains and subways. You just need good directions and a map.

We are flying in in June 28 for our cruise on Adventure leaning on the 29th. Don’t mean to sound dumb but what is PATH?

PATH is the name of a mass transit commuter train that goes from Newark Penn Station to Manhattan. It is run by the port authority of NY and NJ.

It is a few dollars each way. Schedules can be found on their website.

New Jersey Transit also has a train that goes to Manhattan.

FYI, there are trains that stop at a Newark Airport train station that go to Newark Penn Station and continue on to New York Penn Station. Google NJ Transit.

We are flying in in June 28 for our cruise on Adventure leaning on the 29th. Don’t mean to sound dumb but what is PATH?

You need a hotel on a Thur, which means you are competing with business travelers and rates are higher. Have you decided how much you want to spend on a hotel and what you might like to do? Getting in around noon and hanging out in a hotel until you leave for the port the next day is a long time to stay in an area with few options to walk around. The Hilton Penn Station Newark is $165 + tax for your dates. This would give you easy public transit options to go into either midtown or downtown New York.

What is the exact date you are flying in? There's no place to walk to at EWR except to the Jersey Gardens Mall if you're in the right hotel. If your budget permits, look closely at The Jersey City Newport area. You will not be disappointed. For $2.75/pp you can take the quick ride on PATH to the World Trade Center and see the 911 Memorial and Freedom Tower. You don't need to be familiar with trains and subways. You just need good directions and a map.

Carol, our situation is similar for a cruise in July in that we will be arriving at EWR the day before the cruise around noon. Are there any Marriott properties that are reasonable walking distance to this PATH station?

We are staying at the Jersey City Doubletree this fall, after flying into Newark. One night before, and one night after. Will make a very short walk to the PATH station and take the PATH train into NYC each of those days we are there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Carol, our situation is similar for a cruise in July in that we will be arriving at EWR the day before the cruise around noon. Are there any Marriott properties that are reasonable walking distance to this PATH station?

There is also a New Residence Inn at the Grove St PATH Station which will give you the same PATH access on weekdays and more direct PATH access to downtown on weekends (no transfer). I'm going to try this hotel next Jan - got a killer deal on lastminutetravel - I think that's because it's a new hotel and I will be there on a weekend.

There is also a New Residence Inn at the Grove St PATH Station which will give you the same PATH access on weekdays and more direct PATH access to downtown on weekends (no transfer). I'm going to try this hotel next Jan - got a killer deal on lastminutetravel - I think that's because it's a new hotel and I will be there on a weekend.

Would that Residence Inn be the one on 80 Christopher Columbus Dr?

FYI, depending on where you are staying there might be a water taxi service into Manhattan. Something different.

Also, while I prefer using subways or walking in Manhattan, the subway system can be very, very, confusing.

PATH is the name of a mass transit commuter train that goes from Newark Penn Station to Manhattan. It is run by the port authority of NY and NJ.

It is a few dollars each way. Schedules can be found on their website.

New Jersey Transit also has a train that goes to Manhattan.

FYI, there are trains that stop at a Newark Airport train station that go to Newark Penn Station and continue on to New York Penn Station. Google NJ Transit.

Thank you for the great info!!

You need a hotel on a Thur, which means you are competing with business travelers and rates are higher. Have you decided how much you want to spend on a hotel and what you might like to do? Getting in around noon and hanging out in a hotel until you leave for the port the next day is a long time to stay in an area with few options to walk around. The Hilton Penn Station Newark is $165 + tax for your dates. This would give you easy public transit options to go into either midtown or downtown New York.

Thanks for the info!! I think we are going to try the Hilton Newark Penn Station. Any suggestions on getting from the hotel to the port?

Jumping in on this thread...we are sailing out of Bayonne on 5/31, and booked the Embassy in Elizabeth. We arrive at EWR around 2 pm on 5/30. I’m beginning to think I may need to switch hotels. What are the drawbacks of staying where we are booked? Thanks!

Jumping in on this thread...we are sailing out of Bayonne on 5/31, and booked the Embassy in Elizabeth. We arrive at EWR around 2 pm on 5/30. I’m beginning to think I may need to switch hotels. What are the drawbacks of staying where we are booked? Thanks!

Could you provde more details? If you arrive at 2 pm, what had you planned to do or wanted to do that afternoon and evening? IMO Embassy Suites is one of the best hotel choices at EWR because of its location next to Jersey Gardens Mall, its cocktail hour and free breakfast, and its port shuttle option. However, it might not be your best choice if you want to run in and out of NYC for the evening without spending 1+ hour each way plus $13/pp each way. It's always comes down to a choice between time, money, and stress.

Would that Residence Inn be the one on 80 Christopher Columbus Dr?

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner Bob. We did a whirlwind trip to New York this weekend and I'm still recovering!

That is the address of the new Residence Inn. I'm interested in exploring the area which has changed enormously since we lived there many years ago. We've also stayed at the Courtyard 3 years ago and we were very happy with it. Are you planning to do something in NYC?

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner Bob. We did a whirlwind trip to New York this weekend and I'm still recovering!

That is the address of the new Residence Inn. I'm interested in exploring the area which has changed enormously since we lived there many years ago. We've also stayed at the Courtyard 3 years ago and we were very happy with it. Are you planning to do something in NYC?

Thanks Carol.

I booked that Residence Inn yesterday. Curious what is easily doable from that area. I take it that we could catch the PATH train and visit the 911 memorial area. What about the Statue of Liberty or Ellis Island? We will get to the hotel around 1pm on a Thursday and would like to be back at the hotel not too late that evening. Cruising on Friday.

Advice please, we are flying into JFK on 6th September arriving around 5.30, will need to go through immigration so will be around 6.30.

We have booked the Hilton Newark Airport hotel on Spring St Elizabeth, comments/advice on is this a decent hotel for getting to the cruise port following day, what would be the best way to get to the hotel without using Train/Buses, presume something like Dial7[emoji848], is the hotel in a safe area, not bothered about venturing out of the hotel that evening and lastly approximately what distance/time from hotel to cruise port.

Help and advice much appreciated.

Thanks Carol.

I booked that Residence Inn yesterday. Curious what is easily doable from that area. I take it that we could catch the PATH train and visit the 911 memorial area. What about the Statue of Liberty or Ellis Island? We will get to the hotel around 1pm on a Thursday and would like to be back at the hotel not too late that evening. Cruising on Friday.

What exact date would you be doing this in July? Your time to do the SOL or Ellis Island is tight. Last return ferry leaves in the 5 pm timeframe. Were you thinking of buying tickets ahead? The 911 area can be done after 5 pm.

Advice please, we are flying into JFK on 6th September arriving around 5.30, will need to go through immigration so will be around 6.30.

We have booked the Hilton Newark Airport hotel on Spring St Elizabeth, comments/advice on is this a decent hotel for getting to the cruise port following day, what would be the best way to get to the hotel without using Train/Buses, presume something like Dial7[emoji848], is the hotel in a safe area, not bothered about venturing out of the hotel that evening and lastly approximately what distance/time from hotel to cruise port.

Help and advice much appreciated.

What are you paying for the Hilton? Coming by car Service from JFK means that staying in Jersey City is definitely an option if it suits your budget. The car service trip could cost less as well. You might not be planning to venture out of the hotel, but staying near the Hudson River waterfront could tempt you to enjoy the view of Manhattan from the Waterfront Boardwalk.

What exact date would you be doing this in July? Your time to do the SOL or Ellis Island is tight. Last return ferry leaves in the 5 pm timeframe. Were you thinking of buying tickets ahead? The 911 area can be done after 5 pm.

Planning on July 12. Sounds like I need to pick one of SOL or Ellis. Are there ferries reasonable walking distance from the hotel? I would buy tickets ahead of time if possible.

What are you paying for the Hilton? Coming by car Service from JFK means that staying in Jersey City is definitely an option if it suits your budget. The car service trip could cost less as well. You might not be planning to venture out of the hotel, but staying near the Hudson River waterfront could tempt you to enjoy the view of Manhattan from the Waterfront Boardwalk.

We got a special rate in the UK of £86 =$121 whereas now it seems to be around $170, didn’t realize it was near the Hudson River/Waterfront Boardwalk, are there places to eat on the Boardwalk??, was estimating the cost from JFK to hotel to be around $115/120

We got a special rate in the UK of £86 =$121 whereas now it seems to be around $170, didn’t realize it was near the Hudson River/Waterfront Boardwalk, are there places to eat on the Boardwalk??, was estimating the cost from JFK to hotel to be around $115/120

Sorry - didn't mean to be misleading, but the Hilton is NOT near the Jersey City waterfront. What I was thinking was that if your Hilton price was high, it might make sense to take a look at Jersey City. I think you're all set. The Hilton is a great price. You're coming from another time warp and will probably just want to crash.

Taxi or Uber is the best way to the port - about 10-11 miles

Sorry - didn't mean to be misleading, but the Hilton is NOT near the Jersey City waterfront. What I was thinking was that if your Hilton price was high, it might make sense to take a look at Jersey City. I think you're all set. The Hilton is a great price. You're coming from another time warp and will probably just want to crash.

Taxi or Uber is the best way to the port - about 10-11 miles

Thanks for the help and advice [emoji1303]