Project Runway?

BlueHerons

Well, I found myself bored with the entire final show. Both Justin and Alexandria seemed to have duplicate dresses among their offerings (duplicates of their own, not each others...) and I thought Bradon's garments were a little "madame," as they say. My response to Dom's collection was mostly "meh."

I felt that this season, the designers were going too much toward "sellable," and not enough toward "runway," which has to be a little over the top, I think. Justin's test tube dress was one of the few that met that standard. Alexandria's phone book dress might have, too, if it had not been so uncompromisingly ugly.

So in the end, I didn't much care who won!

I am not a fan of "impassioned speeches" in general, regarding "why I should win." I don't even like the question, really, so most designers don't give answers I am happy with. I guess the only answers to that question I have been satisfied with in past seasons are the ones from the designers who say something like, "I have a point of view that is different from others -- something the fashion world has not seen before, and therefore I am the best "investment" on the stage." Of course, having a "POV that hasn't been seen before" would have to have been backed up by the entire season and the final show, or they would simply sound pompous.

Otherwise, I like the designers who have proven their success on a small scale, and say they need the money to expand and make their name in fashion. They are a good "investment," I think, and have a valid reason for saying "I should win."

"I should win because I have been dreaming of this all my life," seems to be the go-to answer, but then, most of the designers have been dreaming of this all their lives, so this does not set them apart.

I don't really mind that Justin played the deaf card, as I am sure (based on my experience with friends with disabilities like his) that he has, indeed, suffered injustice and discrimination because of his deafness, and "deserves" to win for this reason as much as for any other, and as much as others "deserve" to win for their personal reasons. And he is a role model for others with disabilities, who have spend their whole lives being told they "cannot do it."

It's been fun discussing the season with you all, and I will miss the interaction, as I suppose we will suspend further communication, for the most part, until next season!

I don't really mind that Justin played the deaf card, as I am sure (based on my experience with friends with disabilities like his) that he has, indeed, suffered injustice and discrimination because of his deafness, and "deserves" to win for this reason as much as for any other, and as much as others "deserve" to win for their personal reasons. And he is a role model for others with disabilities, who have spend their whole lives being told they "cannot do it."

It's been fun discussing the season with you all, and I will miss the interaction, as I suppose we will suspend further communication, for the most part, until next season!

I agree about all he has overcome, etc. I just felt it was the wrong time to go there. It's not like the judges hadn't heard his story before. It felt like a weak statement to make. I liked Justin from his first design. I was hoping his statement would push him further, so I was disappointed.

Since the next season starts this very Thursday (All Stars), we'll still be here.

I cannot understand what Dom wore for the finale. It was big to the side, big to the back, big to the front. If that's cutting edge, I'll take boring.

If I had a pretty, petite body like hers, I would have worn something to show it off. The one she wore looked like a sack and reminded me of the coat dresses from the sixties.

Dom has worn those shapeless outfits before. They seem entirely wrong with her, but maybe she has body shape issues?

However, I never confuse what designers wear with what they create. How often have you seen male designers step out after their shows in black tees and black jeans?

I have QVC on in the background and they just announced the winner of the All Stars will get to design a capsule line for QVC. Interesting.

Interesting - I should have realized when I read that QVC would be sponsoring the accessory wall. I understand Lisa Robertson will also judge a show, but I assume that it would be similar to the Belk challenge from this season, where the one winning design would be sold. Guess I don't recall what the All Star package was previously - just assumed since they were All- Stars that they would already be established and that wouldn't be a prize. Kind of excited about that as Q designs in a variety of sizes - if they were represented in a different store, I would assume they would be smaller sizes only. But, with the Q, I would assume they would have to include plus sizing.

Interesting - I should have realized when I read that QVC would be sponsoring the accessory wall. I understand Lisa Robertson will also judge a show, but I assume that it would be similar to the Belk challenge from this season, where the one winning design would be sold. Guess I don't recall what the All Star package was previously - just assumed since they were All- Stars that they would already be established and that wouldn't be a prize. Kind of excited about that as Q designs in a variety of sizes - if they were represented in a different store, I would assume they would be smaller sizes only. But, with the Q, I would assume they would have to include plus sizing.

That is what I was thinking. Maybe they will have a challenge where they have to design something that will look good in a size 2 and 22! I'm sure the designs that went to retail the last two seasons were not produced in anything greater than a size 12. As far as I am concerned, a good designer can design something that looks good on all different sizes. Very few "real" people are size 0 or 2.

I agree about all he has overcome, etc. I just felt it was the wrong time to go there. It's not like the judges hadn't heard his story before. It felt like a weak statement to make. I liked Justin from his first design. I was hoping his statement would push him further, so I was disappointed.

Yes, I see what you mean. I liked his designs, too, and hope this experience will open a lot of doors for him, even without the win, as I presume it does for most of the designers who make it that far.

Since the next season starts this very Thursday (All Stars), we'll still be here.

Yeah, I forgot all about that...I haven't been such a big fan of the All Stars show as the regular show, but I suppose I'll watch it anyway...

That is what I was thinking. Maybe they will have a challenge where they have to design something that will look good in a size 2 and 22! I'm sure the designs that went to retail the last two seasons were not produced in anything greater than a size 12. As far as I am concerned, a good designer can design something that looks good on all different sizes. Very few "real" people are size 0 or 2.

We have a fashion competition in Memphis for emerging designers. My daughter-in-law wanted to do plus size and she was told that all the models would be size 0 - 4, so "no." Instead, she is translating her talent for cosplay outfits into fashions for strong women. She has submitted her sketches for a 5-piece collection. We'll know early Nov. if she made the cut. Keep your fingers crossed for her.

We have a fashion competition in Memphis for emerging designers. My daughter-in-law wanted to do plus size and she was told that all the models would be size 0 - 4, so "no." Instead, she is translating her talent for cosplay outfits into fashions for strong women. She has submitted her sketches for a 5-piece collection. We'll know early Nov. if she made the cut. Keep your fingers crossed for her.

Best wishes for your daughter-in-law and kudos to her for wanting to do a plus size collection!

Punk rock is not my thing so I had a hard time judging the creations. I was not upset about the results but I notice the model was not given the credit she was due.

Maybe we'll see that model on the "other side of the runway" some day as a competitor! Apparently she's not just a clothes hanger -- she has ideas!

And yes, it is a bit like plagiarism to not give her credit -- unless the behind the scenes story was told a little differently than it actually happened -- maybe it was the designer who first said something about turning the jacket backwards (perhaps in frustration or in jest) and the model simply confirmed the idea that she herself did that sometimes, and the designer went with it.

Who knows? But the way it was presented, I agree with you.

I don't really even know what "punk" is, exactly, -- and I am not motivated to research it --although I think of piercings (?)... (ew!) Listening to the judges, I got a better idea of what they were looking for -- something "deconstructed" and rebellious (but apparently not quite so raw as in the original movement.) I felt I understood it best based on Viktor's critique -- he had the right idea with the grommets, but the style of his blazer, certainly, and probably the pants, too, was too polished. I began to think, if he had just made a grommeted moto jacket, and had cut the hem of the pants differently -- shorter, or on an angle, perhaps -- he might have been much more successful. I, personally, kind of liked his outfit (except for the ridiculous overnight bag), but I guess it wasn't "punk."

But even the winning look -- it was so carefully, symmetrically done -- I am surprised the judges loved its perfection so much, and rated it higher than Jeffery's "messy" gown. But maybe the jacket represented the "new" punk concept.

Congratulations, Nameless Model, for giving so-called All Star Elena her first win ever win!!!!! You rocked it!

I wonder how often something like that happens and isn't caught/shown? After all, many of those models probably have far more experience with runway fashion than the designers.

I would have said Seth Aaron's design was the most appropriate updated punk look. I guess. I have a hard time imagining punk updated. Can it be updated and still be punk? If it's a fashion trend it's definitely not punk. Punk is just the opposite -- at least in its true spirit.

I was in London at the height of the punk scene and it was all black and silver: mohawks, leather jackets, leggings, clunky/heavy black shoes, low-slung wide belts, lots of piercings, etc. That's what I saw on the subways. Normal people. I have no idea what would have been seen in the posh clubs.

The Mood basement "twist" added nothing. Either there was some sort of scheduling mishap that required it or they expected drama that never happened.

Had to watch the reunion show.

Around 45 minutes in (with commercials) the contestants started talking about how the show was "rigged/slanted/they were cubby-holed as to type." Tim about had a fit. The contestants were not buying his protests.

They should know

Had to watch the reunion show.

Around 45 minutes in (with commercials) the contestants started talking about how the show was "rigged/slanted/they were cubby-holed as to type." Tim about had a fit. The contestants were not buying his protests.

They should know

I think its slanted but not rigged. JMHO

I saw about the last 15 minutes of the reunion show. I agree that there are favorites (especially by Heidi). I don't think Patricia (Season 11) or Helen (season 12) would have lasted nearly as long without Heidi backing them up. i was a little bit surprised by some of the bitterness shown in the portion I watched (but some of it might have been precipitated by the part I did not see). The two "ticking time bombs" seemed to be their usual selves.

Congratulations, Nameless Model, for giving so-called All Star Elena her first win ever win!!!!! You rocked it!

I wonder how often something like that happens and isn't caught/shown? After all, many of those models probably have far more experience with runway fashion than the designers.

I would have said Seth Aaron's design was the most appropriate updated punk look. I guess. I have a hard time imagining punk updated. Can it be updated and still be punk? If it's a fashion trend it's definitely not punk. Punk is just the opposite -- at least in its true spirit.

I was in London at the height of the punk scene and it was all black and silver: mohawks, leather jackets, leggings, clunky/heavy black shoes, low-slung wide belts, lots of piercings, etc. That's what I saw on the subways. Normal people. I have no idea what would have been seen in the posh clubs.

The Mood basement "twist" added nothing. Either there was some sort of scheduling mishap that required it or they expected drama that never happened.

I wish that Seth Aaron won the challenge. I prefered his creation to Elena's.

My thoughts were PUNK? On the runway?

I agree Seabunny...punk was/is about NOT being fashionable but rebellious and anti fashion. Sheesh...

Wasn't fond of anything picked as the highest scores or much that had the lower either. Daniel's made me smile as he is soooo not punk inspired that what he did was sort of off the wall but again much of his usual well fitted jacket which he does so nicely. LOL

Never have liked old tatoo neck and thought that Seth Aaron was more what I would have expected fashion punk would look like.

Hope the next challenge is more to my liking LOL:cool:

I was watching QVC last night (Isaac Mizrahi hour) and they spoke with Elena on the phone and she said she was in California. It got me thinking. 11 designers means it will be about 10 weeks (before the next fashion week?). Has this whole all-stars season already been filmed? Did they show at fashion week in September? Inquiring minds want to know.

I was watching QVC last night (Isaac Mizrahi hour) and they spoke with Elena on the phone and she said she was in California. It got me thinking. 11 designers means it will be about 10 weeks (before the next fashion week?). Has this whole all-stars season already been filmed? Did they show at fashion week in September? Inquiring minds want to know.

The shows are always completely filmed before airing (maybe not reunion show -- not sure). That's one of the reasons so may of the designers get to show at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week -- they know when MBFW will take place in the course of the airing of the programs and let all the designers who could possibly take part at that "airing point in time" create collections, even though the show's producers know by the real time of MBFW who is in the finals/won and can shoot accordingly.

At least, that is my understanding. I'm surprised they don't time the airing of the shows to make MBFW seem to work in real time. That said, do the winners of all-stars even show there?