Project Runway?

BlueHerons

Another challenge that I have no frame of reference for. I was disappointed that my favorite was sent home although I was pleased with the winner.

I liked the winner too. Elena continues to surprise me. I thought her outfit was brilliant! I love Melissa, but she needs to step it up. Sorry to see Daniel leave. :(

PS, I'm getting excited for you for your upcoming world cruise. :) I think I subscribed to your blog. Would love to hear about your planning and how you're going to pack for that long of a trip. Are you going solo?

I liked the winner too. Elena continues to surprise me. I thought her outfit was brilliant! I love Melissa, but she needs to step it up. Sorry to see Daniel leave. :(

PS, I'm getting excited for you for your upcoming world cruise. :) I think I subscribed to your blog. Would love to hear about your planning and how you're going to pack for that long of a trip. Are you going solo?

I am going solo but I have met so many wonderful people on my roll call, I don't feel like I am going alone. Since I have never been much of a writer, I have some ideas circulating in my brain for upcoming installments on my blog. I want to have one entry about Cruise Critic, one on getting visas, and then maybe two on packing - deciding what to take and the actual packing process. I hope to do one entry this weekend.

The days just seem to slip away and before I know it I will be boarding the ship!:D:eek:

If I remember correctly from the 2 prior All Star seasons, the finale is not held during fashion week. I'm fairly certain that the final designers only have a few days for their final designs - not the 6 weeks or so they have during the regular shows. My memory could be faulty (and they could certainly change things up), but I think the finale is a little more generic looking and set up. It's just different.

Millipedes and centipedes are neither insects or arachnids! Why bother even using those words if some of your critters don't fall in those categories? Yes, I am a science nerd, but they were at a museum!!!!!! The closest common classification for all the creepy crawlers they used was arthropod. They should have just used something like "bugs," which doesn't really have a scientific meaning but is used to refer to arthropods in general.

Then Melissa kept referring to her dang spider as "Siri Lanka Ornamental Spider" instead of Sri Lanka. Melissa, it is not a iPhone helper, it is a spider from the country Sri Lanka. I couldn't believe my ears the first time, so I backed it up the second time she said "Siri" just to be sure.

Now that I have all that off my chest -- what's up with Mizrahi talking about the clothes being wearable? Since when has avant garde had a single thing to do with wearability?

Jeffry should have gone home. That outfit wasn't avant garde, it was poorly made (did you notice the edges?) and super ugly -- whether with or without the lamp shade. Mind you, I don't think Daniel's was that great (tho I just adore his personality), but Jeffry got an undeserved pass. Actually, it crossed my mind when he as making it that he was designing-to-lose. He doesn't seem too happy about being there.

I was leaning towards Irina, Korto, Victor, and Elena. Korto's needed a close look to see how very cool it was. With Michael's, it just wasn't something I like -- strictly my personal taste there, so no real problem with him winning.

I miss Joanna. The new "mentor" isn't much.

Awww sad to see Daniel go...I was surprised at his final look...when Zana came in to critique the designers the thing he was working on looked so different than what he ended up with...

Yeah and about Issac M's comment about them being wearable? What?

I feel bad for the designers trying to figure out what the heck the judges are going to look for???

Jeffery should have gone home as that lampshade thingy was a mess and poor model having to wear the mask over her face and walk a runway!?

I liked Mychael's look but it seemed tame to me for being avante garde.

I am getting way tired of Elena's antics of boo hooing and being overly dramatic...enough!

Not liking this season at all so far

I'm not sure I even understande the point of avant-garde clothing. Is it just supposed to be "art"? I am really looking forward to a challenge that produces something I can relate to.

I agree that the lampshade outfit was horrible. I was really afraid that Elena was going to win again.

I'm not sure I even understande the point of avant-garde clothing. Is it just supposed to be "art"? I am really looking forward to a challenge that produces something I can relate to.

I agree that the lampshade outfit was horrible. I was really afraid that Elena was going to win again.

As I understand it (and this could very well be wrong) avant garde is supposed to be more about ideas/concepts. Google the phrase (with "fashion") and go for images and you'll see everything under the sun.

Think Lady Gaga and that dead swan dress Bjork wore to some awards show. Well, maybe it's better not to think about them. haha

1. Are they just trying to make the host, Alyssa something, look frumpy on purpose?

2. So-called mentor Zanna is useless.

3. I'm really tired of the commercial for the products of "the beautiful Georgina Chapman."

4. I am thoroughly convinced that Jeffrey wants OUT. He commented in the first episode that he hadn't sewn in years and was out of practice designing for adults (that's what I recall -- could be mixed up).

5. Michael's dress was my favorite. He also used the cocktail more than anyone else, I think. I wasn't so wild about Viktor's, but could see why it won.

Overall, I thought the designers did a nice job this week.

I'm headed to Spain to start a TA cruise on Azamara Quest so will miss the next few episodes. But there's a DVR for that!

More later!

1. Are they just trying to make the host, Alyssa something, look frumpy on purpose?

2. So-called mentor Zanna is useless.

3. I'm really tired of the commercial for the products of "the beautiful Georgina Chapman."

4. I am thoroughly convinced that Jeffrey wants OUT. He commented in the first episode that he hadn't sewn in years and was out of practice designing for adults (that's what I recall -- could be mixed up).

5. Michael's dress was my favorite. He also used the cocktail more than anyone else, I think. I wasn't so wild about Viktor's, but could see why it won.

Overall, I thought the designers did a nice job this week.

I'm headed to Spain to start a TA cruise on Azamara Quest so will miss the next few episodes. But there's a DVR for that!

More later!

I was glad to have a challenge that I could at least understand.

Actually, there were no dresses that I totally disliked. Some of them had a feature or two I did not care for and in some cases I did not like their accessory.

I had no problem with the winner and loser.

I thought Alyssa's dress was rather frumpy, too. Up close it had some sparkle but the long shots, not so great.

Zanna is no Tim Gunn.

Sea Bunny,

Hope you have a great cruise!

Why, oh why are they saving Jeffrey?

Of course, he's been my least favorite contestant of all the seasons. I did get a chuckle last week, his avant garde look reminded me of a very drunk moment I had more than 30 years ago. myself two girlfriends wore lampshades on our heads while lipsyncing a Patsy Cline song. Thank goodness we were at home when we did tthat. At the moment, weprobably would have worn executioners hoods, too. My husband (then boyfriend) reminds me that incident from time to time.

Why, oh why are they saving Jeffrey?

Of course, he's been my least favorite contestant of all the seasons. I did get a chuckle last week, his avant garde look reminded me of a very drunk moment I had more than 30 years ago. myself two girlfriends wore lampshades on our heads while lipsyncing a Patsy Cline song. Thank goodness we were at home when we did tthat. At the moment, weprobably would have worn executioners hoods, too. My husband (then boyfriend) reminds me that incident from time to time.

When they reused that clip of Mizrahi talking about "slap in face when holding a cocktail and can't drink it," I flashed on the many, many runway shows where the model's face has been obscured in a similar -- and usually more artistic -- way.

I'm sure even lampshades have been used! And, Patsy Cline would have laughed louder than anyone.

So what was that all about? I was fine with the winner but the outcome???:confused:

I think whoever designed Alyssa's black and white runway dress should go home. I found it really unflattering.

I liked Zanna's blue and white dress but it seemed wrong for her.

So what was that all about? I was fine with the winner but the outcome???:confused:

I think whoever designed Alyssa's black and white runway dress should go home. I found it really unflattering.

It was ridiculous! However, there was a real good possibility that Mychael would have gone home, so I don't hate it per se. Regardless, these judges are making crazy decisions.

I personally thought Irina should have been in the top 3 versus Elena. Would have liked to get a better look at it (although considering she was barely in the episode, it was not a surprise.)

It was ridiculous! However, there was a real good possibility that Mychael would have gone home, so I don't hate it per se. Regardless, these judges are making crazy decisions.

I personally thought Irina should have been in the top 3 versus Elena. Would have liked to get a better look at it (although considering she was barely in the episode, it was not a surprise.)

I would love to know the real story as to why they did this.

I thought Irina's dresss really did not look like school supplies and was cute. Maybe it was too "cute" for the judges.

My DVR cut out in the last 15 minutes of the show so bare with me......Christopher won and no one went home, is that the outcome?

My DVR cut out in the last 15 minutes of the show so bare with me......Christopher won and no one went home, is that the outcome?

That's it.

They could have easily sent home ALL of the bottom three I thought. I'm not sure why they are hanging onto Jeffrey. Maybe because he was a past season winner???

I thought it was interesting that Elena was ticked off that Viktor had "stolen" her idea. Kind of like she "stole" the models idea a couple of weeks ago.

That's it.

They could have easily sent home ALL of the bottom three I thought. I'm not sure why they are hanging onto Jeffrey. Maybe because he was a past season winner???

I thought it was interesting that Elena was ticked off that Viktor had "stolen" her idea. Kind of like she "stole" the models idea a couple of weeks ago.

When they kept showing Elena's reaction to Viktor's explanation I was sure someone was going to ask her what was up... you know Heidi would have commented on her demeanor and body language.

As for Jeffrey, I have been thinking he wants to go home but maybe having already won his season he is happy just using the opportunity to push the envelope and do really wacky things? He seems to be having fun and doesn't seem disappointed when he ends up in the bottom.... has kind of an "oh well" attitude.

When they kept showing Elena's reaction to Viktor's explanation I was sure someone was going to ask her what was up... you know Heidi would have commented on her demeanor and body language.

As for Jeffrey, I have been thinking he wants to go home but maybe having already won his season he is happy just using the opportunity to push the envelope and do really wacky things? He seems to be having fun and doesn't seem disappointed when he ends up in the bottom.... has kind of an "oh well" attitude.

So far Seth AAron has always been safe, and has never been judged yet. I am getting tired of Elena's constant "water-works."

I, too, thought someone would question Elena about the faces she was making. I don't get how she got so hot under the collar about Viktor "stealing" her idea when she did not use any technique even resembling the idea she had, because she could not "make it work!" Viktor did make it work -- so what's the problem? I think she was jealous.

As for her waterworks -- maybe she is still on the show because the producers appreciate the drama she creates. Her emotional outbursts are unprofessional, to be sure, but artistic people are often emotional (and egocentric!), I know from experience, and this may genuinely be how she expresses herself. I did think Zanna went overboard in her "mothering" of Elena when she was emotional in this episode -- I am a mother, and I would have said, "Grow up, stop whining, and get to work!" Elena has mostly been able to keep her emotions in check on the runway, so that is something, anyway...

Jeffrey seems to have that "meh" attitude as a general rule. He is one of those people who I think is so confident (and self-absorbed) that he really does not care what others think about his work. The irony is that this episode was called "Keeping it Classy," which Jeffery definitely did not do, with his indecent dress.

Does anyone besides me notice that Alyssa Milano is as wooden a personage as could be imagined on stage? She seems to speak in monotone, short, choppy phrases in a sort of slo-mo. I run the risk of falling asleep before she finishes a sentence! And she is an actress???? I presumed she was a former model -- pretty face, few other charms. Not a good choice at all in a "public speaking" role, IMO. Maybe too much of a contrast to overly-verbal Heidi? It is Milano more than anything (and Mizrahi, whom I have never liked) that keep me from being enthusiastic about this series, though I watch it still...

I hadn't discovered PR when Jeffrey won his season (I think I started around season 6). I'm guessing he didn't have the same attitude then???? Classy that outfit was not - I'm not sure I have ever seen so many body parts that had to be blurred to get on air.

Barb,

I have been surprised that Seth Aaron has been safe each time. I was expecting more "WOW" from him.

I, too, thought someone would question Elena about the faces she was making. I don't get how she got so hot under the collar about Viktor "stealing" her idea when she did not use any technique even resembling the idea she had, because she could not "make it work!" Viktor did make it work -- so what's the problem? I think she was jealous.

Me too!

As for her waterworks -- maybe she is still on the show because the producers appreciate the drama she creates. Her emotional outbursts are unprofessional, to be sure, but artistic people are often emotional (and egocentric!), I know from experience, and this may genuinely be how she expresses herself. I did think Zanna went overboard in her "mothering" of Elena when she was emotional in this episode -- I am a mother, and I would have said, "Grow up, stop whining, and get to work!" Elena has mostly been able to keep her emotions in check on the runway, so that is something, anyway...

I like your "mothering" style! :D I also would have told her to "suck it up!"

Jeffrey seems to have that "meh" attitude as a general rule. He is one of those people who I think is so confident (and self-absorbed) that he really does not care what others think about his work. The irony is that this episode was called "Keeping it Classy," which Jeffery definitely did not do, with his indecent dress.

That dress was more of a shirt and would have been much better with leggings or a body suit under. Even in Avant Garde, no one wants to see a naked hooha!:eek:

Does anyone besides me notice that Alyssa Milano is as wooden a personage as could be imagined on stage? She seems to speak in monotone, short, choppy phrases in a sort of slo-mo. I run the risk of falling asleep before she finishes a sentence! And she is an actress???? I presumed she was a former model -- pretty face, few other charms. Not a good choice at all in a "public speaking" role, IMO. Maybe too much of a contrast to overly-verbal Heidi? It is Milano more than anything (and Mizrahi, whom I have never liked) that keep me from being enthusiastic about this series, though I watch it still...

I so agree with you! Alyssa Milano is merely reading a script! :rolleyes: At least Heidi has personality!

See above in red

Edited by 5326jan

I hadn't discovered PR when Jeffrey won his season (I think I started around season 6). I'm guessing he didn't have the same attitude then???? Classy that outfit was not - I'm not sure I have ever seen so many body parts that had to be blurred to get on air.

And this is precisely why you will never see me "on air." It would require way too many blurred bits -- even if I were fully clothed! :D

Barb,

I have been surprised that Seth Aaron has been safe each time. I was expecting more "WOW" from him.

Though this comment about Seth Aaron was not addressed to me, I will jump in and agree with you: given SA's personal "style" in hair and dress -- which is pretty "out there" relative to some (although not to all...) one would expect him to be a less tame designer than he is.

I have noticed there is often a disconnect between what the designers dress themselves in and what they design for others. Sometimes the designers (on this and other shows) look hideous -- completely kooky, or frumpy, or unkempt -- but design remarkably flattering looks for others. And then it works the opposite way, too, for some designers. I guess there may be a big difference in perspective and talent between being a designer and being a stylist ... maybe some people are better at seeing what looks good on someone else than what looks good on themselves (and vice versa.).

How about that for a new competition show -- "Project Stylist" ? (Maybe they are already doing something like that with this new "Million Dollar Shopper" show? which I have not watched.)

There is one stylist show I am familiar with on Ion Television, called Anna and Kristina's Beauty Call, where these two stylists buy new outfits for a particular event for one client, spending one day and no more than $500 doing it, and then are "judged" (informally) by a "top designer." The only trouble is, both the stylists are remarkably incompetent, and usually their choices are dissed by the designers. Week after week, Anna and Kristina make the same boring, unflattering choices for their clients, and week after week the top designers tell them how badly they did. It would actually be kind of funny, if it weren't so sad.

Edited by SeagoingMom