Formal Nights

eyelovcrusin

I have 2 questions. On formal nights, does formal attire apply to specialty restaurants or just MDR? Also, we are taking an Alaska 7 night from Whittier to Vancouver. Am I safe to assume the formal nights will be the second night and the second to last night? Or, how would I find out in advance?

The dress code for specialty restaurants on all nights, including formal nights, is smart casual.

Formal nights depend upon the itinerary. Never on the first or last nights aboard. Usually on sea days. If held on a port day, it will usually be one with an early "all aboard" time.

Specialty restaurants are ALWAYS "smart casual" although you may wear formal dress to them, too. I'm guessing the formal nights will be the second night and possibly the Juneau port night? At least our itinierary (Coral) shows leaving Juneau at 4:00. I suppose different ships on that itinerary may have different port times?

Formal nights in the MDR are usually on sea days. For a 7 day Alaska cruise, there are usually 2 formal nights, and those are scheduled for days at sea. It depends upon your itinerary.

As mentioned above, there are no formal nights for specialty dining -- dress is always "smart casual."

Even the formal nights in the dining rooms are not a formal as you may think, especially in Alaska.

We usually cruise RC, but will be sailing on Star Princess next summer. Formal nights on RC have almost disappeared (that's a plus to me). I usually wear nice pants and a fancy tunic top and DH wear dress pants and a long sleeve dress shirt - no tie or jacket. Is this acceptable for formal nights in Alaska?

We usually cruise RC, but will be sailing on Star Princess next summer. Formal nights on RC have almost disappeared (that's a plus to me). I usually wear nice pants and a fancy tunic top and DH wear dress pants and a long sleeve dress shirt - no tie or jacket. Is this acceptable for formal nights in Alaska?

Absolutely.

I've also had no problem with a shirt sleeve shirt (guayabera type) with dress pants.

Simple answer is YES

I usually wear nice pants and a fancy tunic top and DH wear dress pants and a long sleeve dress shirt - no tie or jacket. Is this acceptable for formal nights in Alaska?
For women, nice pants and a fancy tunic top is fine. For men cruising to Alaska, what I saw on our recent Alaskan cruise was men dressed in either a sport coat with tie, or a sport coat with open dress shirt, or a dress shirt with tie and no sportcoat.

It is not necessary to wear a tux or a dark business suit, unless you wish to do so. I was worried that my husband, dressed in sport coat, dress shirt with necktie, and dress pants, would be turned away, but he was allowed in the MDR both formal nights on a 7 day Alaska cruise.

We were on the Emerald to Alaska, and the Maitre D' and head waiters were enforcing the dress code. They were very courteous and discreet, but men and women not in minimum compliance were being turned away and asked quietly to change into different clothing.

If the man does not wish to wear a sportcoat, then he could pack a tie to go along with the dress shirt. If he does not wish to wear a tie, then he could pack a lightweight sportcoat to go along with the dress shirt. -- EBC

Edited by EastBay Cruisers

What is the "Minimum compliance" standard he was enforcing? Have never seen any type of minimum dress standard. Just goes to show that Princess does not require any standard across their fleet.

What is the "Minimum compliance" standard he was enforcing? Have never seen any type of minimum dress standard. Just goes to show that Princess does not require any standard across their fleet.

Not sure what "minimum compliance" is either.

We were on Emerald to Alaska in August 2017 and I wore jeans both formal nights and ate in the MDR.

We even had a nice conversation with the head Maître D Rui about the difference in attire and attitude from my last cruise ( 2002) where I had to wear jeans because Princess lost my luggage and everyone was so uptight to the current laid back attitude.

Not sure what "minimum compliance" is either.

We were on Emerald to Alaska in August 2017 and I wore jeans both formal nights and ate in the MDR.

We even had a nice conversation with the head Maître D Rui about the difference in attire and attitude from my last cruise ( 2002) where I had to wear jeans because Princess lost my luggage and everyone was so uptight to the current laid back attitude.

The term "minimum compliance" is only what some people believe it to be in their eyes.

Princess is extremely lenient as to what they allow on any nights as they don't want to offend any of the passengers & at the same time try to present a more formal atmosphere to appease those that do wish to dress up more.

We'll be on an Alaskan cruise in June and happy to hear that we can eat in the Crown Grill in "smart casual" attire on formal night. I didn't realize that the specialty restaurants were always "smart casual". Going to be packing extra light for our cruise, well extra light when it comes to dressy attire. Just a nice pair of dress jeans and a few tops was all I was packing for the evenings onboard. Too much other stuff to pack to bring any more than that!:cool:

As I was explaining above, the minimum compliance for formal night seemed to be:

1. Wear dress pants and dress shirt with necktie and no sportcoat or:

2. Wear dress pants with dress shirt open at neck with sportcoat.

3. Wear Guayabera shirt ( google it) with dress pants.

If you don't wish to get cleaned up for formal night, there are many alternatives:

1. Get a hamburger from Trident Grill/ Salty Dog

2. Get pizza at Alfredo's

3. Eat as much as you wish at Horizon Court

4. Order free room service.

5. Have wine and tapas at Vines, followed by dessert at International Court

6. Order the Ultimate Balcony Dinner

7. Book another cruise line.

As I was explaining above, the minimum compliance for formal night seemed to be:

1. Wear dress pants and dress shirt with necktie and no sportcoat or:

2. Wear dress pants with dress shirt open at neck with sportcoat.

3. Wear Guayabera shirt ( google it) with dress pants.

If you don't wish to get cleaned up for formal night, there are many alternatives:

1. Get a hamburger from Trident Grill/ Salty Dog

2. Get pizza at Alfredo's

3. Eat as much as you wish at Horizon Court

4. Order free room service.

5. Have wine and tapas at Vines, followed by dessert at International Court

6. Order the Ultimate Balcony Dinner

7. Book another cruise line.

You left off another choice for those not wishing to comply with the Formal Night dress code request - eat at one of the specialty restaurants where Smart Casual is always acceptable.

You left off another choice for those not wishing to comply with the Formal Night dress code request - eat at one of the specialty restaurants where Smart Casual is always acceptable.

About the only difference between the Specialty restaurants and the DR is the ability to wear a pair of jeans.

Other than that the DR's are quite relaxed nowadays.

Thank you -- point well taken. I forgot to mention that specialty dining is always available, including Sabatini's, Crab Shack, Crown Grill, Share, etcyi. There is never any formal night in specialty dining. Princess really does try to have something for everyone.

I have 2 questions. On formal nights, does formal attire apply to specialty restaurants or just MDR? Also, we are taking an Alaska 7 night from Whittier to Vancouver. Am I safe to assume the formal nights will be the second night and the second to last night? Or, how would I find out in advance?

You don't have to be formal anywhere.

For the last few years I have been wearing my guayabera shirt with dockers and have not had a problem. It is very comfortable to wear. Cruise last month, I had hurriedly dressed for formal night and while sitting at the table waiting for my first course realized I had accidentally put on my jeans instead of dockers. It was not intentional but nothing was said by the staff. Makes one wonder about just how well the "dress code" is enforced these days. I did see several men enter wearing what I would call Hawaiian shirts on formal night so I would say the "dress code" is even more relaxed than I realized. I will stick with my guayabera shirt.

For the last few years I have been wearing my guayabera shirt with dockers and have not had a problem. It is very comfortable to wear. Cruise last month, I had hurriedly dressed for formal night and while sitting at the table waiting for my first course realized I had accidentally put on my jeans instead of dockers. It was not intentional but nothing was said by the staff. Makes one wonder about just how well the "dress code" is enforced these days. I did see several men enter wearing what I would call Hawaiian shirts on formal night so I would say the "dress code" is even more relaxed than I realized. I will stick with my guayabera shirt.

Ever since I took you suggestion about wearing a guayabera shirt in place of a long sleeve dress shirt about 6 cruises ago I've been noticing the same thing. Many guys who dress down, are now wearing anything from a polo & Hawaiian to a regular short sleeve dress shirt.

I still like the guayabera shirt since it was made to be worn loosely and not tucked in which is the main reason for not wearing a dress shirt, tie & jacket in the first place.

Generally, it's NOT acceptable, despite what the casual crowd would have you believe. That being said, It seems Princess seldom enforces their own dress code. If you get a "tough" Maître D, then you might have an issue. I'd bring along a sport coat & see how it plays out. If others are getting in, more casually dressed, then leave it on the hanger.