Priority Arrival at Port?

jwjax

I have searched and searched and can no longer locate the "Official" Carnival statement about "Priority" guests arrival time that states "arrive at your leisure etc."? Anyone have a link, or a copy of it?

I need to print it out for JaxPort Security at the port gate. Apparently, they still have not been briefed on it. I have already spoken to the supv at the Port Sec. Office. She was not even aware of it....??:confused:

I have searched and searched and can no longer locate the "Official" Carnival statement about "Priority" guests arrival time that states "arrive at your leisure etc."? Anyone have a link, or a copy of it?

I need to print it out for JaxPort Security at the port gate. Apparently, they still have not been briefed on it. I have already spoken to the supv at the Port Sec. Office. She was not even aware of it....??:confused:

Port security won't even let you in? Normally you can get into the port area if you have a cruise. It's the terminal you can't get in until check-in time. The terminals would be aware of priority status. Never been out of JaxPort so now I'm curious.

Port security won't even let you in? Normally you can get into the port area if you have a cruise. It's the terminal you can't get in until check-in time. The terminals would be aware of priority status. Never been out of JaxPort so now I'm curious.

Yes, it is not the terminal, it is the gate "checkers", I wouldn't call them guards! There is a gate and checkpoint at the entrance. JaxPort is the "only" port we have been to that stops you and verifies why and when you are supposed to be there?? This is before you can even park!:p

It was never a problem until the ill thought out staggered check-in policy was implemented......which is fine, but does not "EXCLUDE" priority guests?

There was an "official policy" posted on Carnival, but I can no longer find it??

Yes, it is not the terminal, it is the gate "checkers", I wouldn't call them guards! There is a gate and checkpoint at the entrance. JaxPort is the "only" port we have been to that stops you and verifies why and when you are supposed to be there?? This is before you can even park!:p

It was never a problem until the stupid staggered check-in policy was implemented......which is fine, but does not "EXCLUDE" priority guests?

There was an "official policy" posted on Carnival, but I can no longer find it??

That's crazy! I've been stopped at ports before but they check our boarding pass to make sure we're supposed to be there and the date. That's it. Never looked at the check-in time since that applies to the terminal, not the port. That's kinda why the terminals have the early/late lines for those who don't arrive when they're supposed to.

I hope you find what you're looking for. I learned something new about Jaxport today.

Look in the "notes" section "Please note, there is no specific "set" time, nor a specific arrival time required"

https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/tampa/faster-to-the-fun-103013

Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) is the same. Or at least it was two years ago. They stopped our hotel shuttle and the driver had to show his ID badge. I assume if they stop shuttles, they stop individual vehicles too. It truly is a matter of security. Ports can often be considered high value targets for bad guys. They need to make sure anyone who enters the port is supposed to be there. But yes, the gate guards should be aware of the fact that priority passengers can enter/check-in before their assigned arrival times. If the supervisor wasn't aware, the guards probably won't be either.

I ran into this with a man at the gate at Jaxport just last month. I know I was early, I rolled in about 9:45, I was hoping to just park and wait. He first looked at my check in time on my boarding pass and told me to come back at 11:30. I said, I am priority and I think the port officially opens at 10:30. I am planning on being on the boat by 11:30, which we were. He said, just come back later, we are not boarding yet, maybe another half an hour. I came back at 10:20 and a woman was at the gate now and she knew exactly what to look for and sent me right in. They were turning people away in a steady stream though who had later check in times and no priority boarding. I think prior to 10 or 10:15, they just had someone manning the gate who was only a placeholder with orders to only let people picking up in.

I must say, I really appreciated this though, there was not the usual gaggle of people to wade through to get into the terminal that usually is outside terminals like Miami, Tampa and New Orleans.

Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) is the same. Or at least it was two years ago. They stopped our hotel shuttle and the driver had to show his ID badge. I assume if they stop shuttles, they stop individual vehicles too. It truly is a matter of security. Ports can often be considered high value targets for bad guys. They need to make sure anyone who enters the port is supposed to be there. But yes, the gate guards should be aware of the fact that priority passengers can enter/check-in before their assigned arrival times. If the supervisor wasn't aware, the guards probably won't be either.

Wow! We have not sailed out of FLL for a while. Checking ID's is one thing, but a "gate checker" being uninformed and "__ _ _____" Insert your own term here, is something else entirely!:)

Carnival uses some company named "InterCruise" here in Jax. I am not sure how many other ports use this company, but if the supervisors don't know the policies, "I mean Really" :(:) (this my DW's term, I have never used it, until now)

Wow! We have not sailed out of FLL for a while. Checking ID's is one thing, but a "gate checker" being uninformed and "__ _ _____" Insert your own term here, is something else entirely!:)

Carnival uses some company named "InterCruise" here in Jax. I am not sure how many other ports use this company, but if the supervisors don't know the policies, "I mean Really" :(:) (this my DW's term, I have never used it, until now)

I work at Port Everglades. You only have to stop at the security gate to show your cruise documents if cruising or driver's license if picking up passengers, They do NOT stop you from entering the port. You may not be able to get into the terminal if you arrive before your check in time. With Royal and Celebrity they open the doors to check in at 10:00

Yes, it is not the terminal, it is the gate "checkers", I wouldn't call them guards!
I don't understand why you're so adamant against calling them gate "guards." As if to say "guard" is somehow giving them too much credit. The job they're performing is literally the definition of a guard. Just because they didn't let you through doesn't mean you have to try to demean their position. Bear with me here. There's been some debate on whether or not Carnival will stop giving immediate room access to platinum/diamond passengers. It's gone as far as some even being denied access in the last couple months. If a steward was confused about the policy or was told the wrong thing, and denied you access, would you say they're nothing but a "cabin checker?" My point is, I suspect that the guards' lack of knowledge of this policy comes from their own management. If they aren't told about it, or are told the wrong thing, it's not entirely their fault. They're just doing their job, not knowing it's wrong.

He said, just come back later, we are not boarding yet, maybe another half an hour.
I think I would've said, "YOU aren't boarding anyone. You're port security. Carnival boards passengers after they're ships are cleared, not you." It wouldn't have gotten me through, but would've made me feel better. LOL clear.png?emoji-winktongue-1704

I don't understand why you're so adamant against calling them gate "guards." As if to say "guard" is somehow giving them too much credit. The job they're performing is literally the definition of a guard. Just because they didn't let you through doesn't mean you have to try to demean their position. Bear with me here.

Hmmm...having worked in a Federal Bldg for over 20 years, a guard has a "badge" and most times a firearm. A 55-75 year old retiree (like me), checking BP's at the gate in a white shirt and blue dockers is not a "guard".... sorry to ruffle your feathers here.

My point is, I suspect that the guards' lack of knowledge of this policy comes from their own management. If they aren't told about it, or are told the wrong thing, it's not entirely their fault. They're just doing their job, not knowing it's wrong.

I have already posted, the supervisor also had no knowledge of CCL's policy. I just said the "gate checkers" are not guards. (there is a security vehicle parked near the entrance though)

My point again.... the gate checkers do not know the CCL policy for terminal entry or boarding for that matter in JaxPort.

Hmmm...having worked in a Federal Bldg for over 20 years, a guard has a "badge" and most times a firearm. A 55-75 year old retiree (like me), checking BP's at the gate in a white shirt and blue dockers is not a "guard".... sorry to ruffle your feathers here.
I'm quite familiar with the duties and responsibilities of a guard, both in the civilian sector and military.

Let's take a look at the definition, shall we? Because as I said before, the job they're performing is the very definition of "guard."

1. watch over in order to protect or control. (check)
  2. a person who keeps watch, especially a soldier or other person formally assigned to protect a person or to control access to a place. (and check)

I suspect that if that person had simply let you through and on your way that day, you wouldn't be so hellbent on disparaging their position.

I'm quite familiar with the duties and responsibilities of a guard, both in the civilian sector and military.

Let's take a look at the definition, shall we? Because as I said before, the job they're performing is the very definition of "guard."

1. watch over in order to protect or control. (check)
  2. a person who keeps watch, especially a soldier or other person formally assigned to protect a person or to control access to a place. (and check)

I suspect that if that person had simply let you through and on your way that day, you wouldn't be so hellbent on disparaging their position.

Check....and CheckMate!

I am also a Veteran, so a soldier is a very different thing. A boarding pass gate checker is just that, a gate checker!:p I suspect that "maybe" you are a "gate checker"?;);):):)

I am not disparaging anyone's position....just their knowledge (and their supervisors) of arrival time and entry for Priority Guests at JaxPort only!.

We were on the Elation 11/17 and had FTTF and had read they won't let you in before 10:30. We arrived at 10:15 and they were reluctant to let us in. I explained we had FTTF as it it is printed on the boarding pass. They said we could go ahead and drop off our luggage then park. We were the 6th person in line, but unfortunately debarkation was delayed and we ended up sitting in the port till 12:30 and boarded about 1. It was still a great time!!!

We were on the Elation 11/17 and had FTTF and had read they won't let you in before 10:30. We arrived at 10:15 and they were reluctant to let us in. I explained we had FTTF as it it is printed on the boarding pass. They said we could go ahead and drop off our luggage then park. We were the 6th person in line, but unfortunately debarkation was delayed and we ended up sitting in the port till 12:30 and boarded about 1. It was still a great time!!!

Yes, the port doesn't officially "open" for arrivals until 10:30am. You were very fortunate, must have been a gate checker, that was also a cruiser!:):) Glad you had a good experience at JaxPort. It has been "iffy" since the staggered check in was put into effect.

We also sailed in 11/17, and the gate checker looked very closely at the "arrival" time, not the "priority" stamp. We actually arrived at the arrival time on the BP. My issue is with the way they check upon entry to the port. Arrival time is not supposed to be a factor until you get to the terminal.

Check....and CheckMate!

I am also a Veteran, so a soldier is a very different thing. A boarding pass gate checker is just that, a gate checker!:p I suspect that "maybe" you are a "gate checker"?;);):):)

I am not disparaging anyone's position....just their knowledge (and their supervisors) of arrival time and entry for Priority Guests at JaxPort only!.

CHECKING boarding passes is how they tell if you belong in the port or not. Their job is to secure the entrance to the port. Hmm, I wonder if there's a name for such a job. Oh, that's right, a guard. With as much as you keep repeating your little pet name for them, you're showing how desperate you are to try to disparage their position. What's next, are you going to call them a doo doo head?

My issue with JaxPort is that the "guard" is just a nuisance to customers and serves no real security purpose. Just checking that you have a picture ID, without checking to make sure it matches a valid boarding pass, does nothing to ensure they are only letting people in who have a valid reason to be on property.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Forums mobile app

Yes, the port doesn't officially "open" for arrivals until 10:30am. You were very fortunate, must have been a gate checker, that was also a cruiser!:):) Glad you had a good experience at JaxPort. It has been "iffy" since the staggered check in was put into effect.

We also sailed in 11/17, and the gate checker looked very closely at the "arrival" time, not the "priority" stamp. We actually arrived at the arrival time on the BP. My issue is with the way they check upon entry to the port. Arrival time is not supposed to be a factor until you get to the terminal.

I have sailed from 16 ports worldwide and Jacksonville is the worst port I have ever cruised from. Unfortunately, the port is only a 5 1/2 hour drive so I have used it a few times.

CHECKING boarding passes is how they tell if you belong in the port or not. Their job is to secure the entrance to the port. Hmm, I wonder if there's a name for such a job. Oh, that's right, a guard. With as much as you keep repeating your little pet name for them, you're showing how desperate you are to try to disparage their position. What's next, are you going to call them a doo doo head?

Not them.... but maybe someone else! My new pet name for the "gate checker" is Organized Chaos