Temps during at sea days

AlaskaNewbie68

Hello, we are so excited for our first cruise coming up in June. I know the average temps in the towns we are visiting, but looking for info on temps on deck during at sea days. We are traveling the Inside Passage from Vancouver on Holland Westerdam departing June 9. Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A little off topic, but still related to temps-what are the temps of say, the dining room and our cabin like. Wondering if I need to pack my flannel pjs and a warm sweater to go to dinner.

Normal cruising speed is around 20 knots so it will always be windy. Air temps are usually a few degrees cooler than on land and feel much cooler with the wind chill. Also, it can be quite chilly at the glaciers. Temps at Denali can be in the 70’s.

You should have a thermostat in your room so you can sleep as warm or cold as you wish. My normal daytime wear on the ship is a short sleeve shirt with a light sweater. I wear a dressy blazer type jacket to dinner.

Normal cruising speed is around 20 knots so it will always be windy. Air temps are usually a few degrees cooler than on land and feel much cooler with the wind chill. Also, it can be quite chilly at the glaciers. Temps at Denali can be in the 70’s.

You should have a thermostat in your room so you can sleep as warm or cold as you wish. My normal daytime wear on the ship is a short sleeve shirt with a light sweater. I wear a dressy blazer type jacket to dinner.

Normal cruising speed anywhere in the Inside Passages is definitely not 20 knots. In fact, it is only over long hauls that most cruise lines approach 20 knots.

Normal cruising speed anywhere in the Inside Passages is definitely not 20 knots. In fact, it is only over long hauls that most cruise lines approach 20 knots.

Actually, they do. A large, modern cruise ship has a maximum speed of around 22-24 knots. (Trivia: The Queen Mary II is the fastest with a top speed of 29 knots, but she is technically a liner). Service speed, which is the speed at which the ship is the most fuel efficient, is about 3 knots less than full speed. The service speed for the majority of the cruise ships in Alaska is around 19-21 knots. When ships are travelling faster or slower than their service speed they burn more fuel and cost the company more money. There are places where speeds are limited, such as coming into and out of ports, places like Gastineau Channel, Snow Passage, and some of the narrows. Normal speed for picking up or letting off pilots and the Glacier Bay rangers is around 6-7 knots. Glacier Bay imposes a 13 knot limit in the lower bay for protecting the whales. But when traveling down Lynn Canal or cruising Frederick Sound, Stephens Passage, Chatham Passage, etc. the ship is cruising at service speed.

A little off topic, but still related to temps-what are the temps of say, the dining room and our cabin like. Wondering if I need to pack my flannel pjs and a warm sweater to go to dinner.

I don't know about your cabin temp which you can adjust yourself but it will still vary. I always have a sweater or wrap as the dining room and the showroom (for after dinner) can be cool.