Cruise ending in Rio de Janiero

Mtowson

We are 12 couples traveling from Miami to Rio next January. We arrive in Rio on Feb and disembark the morning of the 11th. None of the flights back to US leave until 10:30 pm. That leaves about 14 hours in the airport. Thinking we might like to find a tour. Has any one done this cruise? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were in port two days when our cruise ended in Rio back in 2013. I had arranged for tours both days with a guide, and he picked up our group of 8 on the morning we left the ship, packed our bags in his van, and gave us an all-day tour. Even so, we got to the airport much earlier than was convenient given that they didn't let us past the entrance for a few hours! There just wasn't enough seating room for everyone waiting for flights so we couldn't go to our gate until much later. I think we got there around 4:30 and as you say, our flights didn't leave until around 10 or 11pm.

The tour was a good way to spend the day. But having to spend several hours waiting around the airport with no sitting area until we could check in was NOT so wonderful. This could be an argument for the day room ...

Still, I think if we were to be in this situation again, we'd probably opt for the tour and hope for a later arrival at the airport.

Mura

We booked a tour with a tour guide named Pedro. He took us to see the main sites and also drove so we could see the beaches.

Oceania also offered a tour but I don’t remember what it entailed. Try looking at Ports of Call on this website or go to Trip Advisor. Lots of good advice there

When our Regatta cruise ended in Rio, we booked one extra night in a hotel and then flew back the next evening. This meant we had somewhere to leave our luggage until an appropriate time to set off for the airport. And we got an extra day in Rio!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I will provide a reference for a guide later. A full day tour pre flight is a good option. You can see Sugarloaf and Christ the Redeemer statue before going to the airport. Know that lounges don't open until night. The O transfer spends a lot of time in a shopping mall.

I have no idea what size a standard room is in Rio but I been in two hotels. The rooms were smaller than I niemakky get, one was a day room and one was on a land tour.

I would suggest going to the Copa for lunch.

Just do nit wear any jewelry including watches at any time.

By all means find a guide. You can sightsee and store the luggage in a vehicle. We joined forces with others and used Letitica Levy, precruise, Rio Plus is the company name. She was great.

I very recently e-mailed + for my December Rio cruise, did not get a reply.