Hotels in Sydney

There are many good hotels, B&B's at all price points.  The best area to stay?  I do not think that there is one.  Sydney has an excellent transport system-trains, buses, and ferry.  We have used them all.  We have stayed in several areas...they have all been good.   Last time we were near Central Station.  It was ideal for us.  We could walk to Circular, Darling Harbour, etc.  We could get on the the train and go to Blue Mountains, Circular, or the Airport.   Or the train and bus to Bondi.  

Your choice of accommodation may come down to how long you are staying.  For us it is typically 3-5 days and we have no issue getting about on public transportation.

I think the trick is to spend some time researching with a guide book,.  Understand how Sydney is laid out, the attractions you want to see, and how the public transportation system works.  Especially the ferries and the trains. And get an opal card.

Edited by iancal

On 6/10/2019 at 3:09 AM, iancal said:

There are many good hotels, B&B's at all price points.  The best area to stay?  I do not think that there is one.  Sydney has an excellent transport system-trains, buses, and ferry.  We have used them all.  We have stayed in several areas...they have all been good.   Last time we were near Central Station.  It was ideal for us.  We could walk to Circular, Darling Harbour, etc.  We could get on the the train and go to Blue Mountains, Circular, or the Airport.   Or the train and bus to Bondi.  

Your choice of accommodation may come down to how long you are staying.  For us it is typically 3-5 days and we have no issue getting about on public transportation.

I think the trick is to spend some time researching with a guide book,.  Understand how Sydney is laid out, the attractions you want to see, and how the public transportation system works.  Especially the ferries and the trains. And get an opal card.

I think that’s pretty good advice, where you stay may be based on many other factors, principally, in my opinion, length of stay, what you want to do and see, and if course budget.

if we are cruising it’s usually just one night at the Holiday Inn the Rocks for convenience, if we are shopping probably The Grace, when we could fly the Airport (IBIS) If it’s out the Western Suburbs something close by, footy at Hmebush, one of the hotels in that vicinity.

for longer stays we like serviced appartments, horses for courses.

On 6/11/2019 at 3:39 PM, iancal said:

Yes.  And maybe do just a little research before asking for the name of the best this or that.

IMHO,  posting a question on the boards does count as research. I learned about the Opal Card from reading your previous post (and I had already dona a fair amount of research). So thanks!

Edited by sippican
  • Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 12:29 PM, Reina del Mar said:

Think all hotels in the Rocks/ Circular Quay area are pretty expensive.

We stayed in the Holiday Inn on the Rocks AKA Holiday Inn Old Sydney.  We arrived at about 10 am. Were not able to check in early as hotel is extremely busy..a different cruise ship every day (March), However they stored our bags and gave us access to both restrooms and pool area and phoned our British mobile to say when room was ready. Very helpful staff.

Hotel is quite old but clean and comfortable. Breakfast was included in our booking..it was excellent with choices for every taste. (Book the evening before for lower price)

Close enough to walk to Bridge, Opera House, Ferries to Manly (Beach) Trains to Blue Mountains, buses to Bondi Beach etc.

Best thing...can walk luggage to Overseas Passenger Terminal in five minutes. Dropped off big bags at 9am, then went back for leisurely breakfast before taking ourselves and rollaboards to check in.

Thank you for your comments.  We are booked at the same Holiday Inn this coming October.  No breakfast included in our booking, but sounds like maybe we can get a lower price if arrange it the evening before.  That would be ideal for sailing day morning.  Love the fact we are spitting distance from the Terminal.  Thanks again!

• Like 1