Best & Most Cost Effective Way to Get to Mendenhall Glacier? I'm Getting Conflicting

globe9

We arrive in Juneau at noon and depart at 9pm.

We'd like to go to Mendenhall Glacier, check out the visitor center and do a bit of hiking for a few hours before going into town for shopping, dinner, etc.

I've been trying to research the best & most affordable way for 2 adults to do this and have been getting conflicting answers.

1. Been told to take City bus for like $2 a person.

2. Told NOT to take City bus as it's only every hour and drops you off at mile from Visitor Center.

3. Told to take shuttle bus at $45 a person (so $90 RT).

4. Told that if I'm paying $90 for a shuttle bus, i'd come out cheaper renting a car and then I can do things on my own schedule.

5. Told renting a car would be a pain in the butt just for driving to Mendenhall and that I should just take a taxi.

6. I asked about cost of taxi and was told that it was $45. Then someone else said, nope, closer to $60.

At this point I'm really wishing I could just Uber. $90 for a shuttle bus that goes 10 miles seems outrageous to me. I'd rather grab a local, give them $25 and have them drop us off.

Has anyone done this trip to Mendenhall from pier? Any tips or advice? I'll be on RCCL Explorer of the Seas next month.

Looks like you have gotten all of the info I have read. With the exception of a couple that have a bit of a difference in price, I would say you have to decide what works best for you. If you dont mind the walk, take the bus. If you want to have flexibility, get a car.

I weighed the same things. I chose renting a car, because we can do whatever we want.

Same.. Is Uber an option there?

We'd like to go to Mendenhall Glacier, check out the visitor center and do a bit of hiking for a few hours before going into town for shopping, dinner, etc.

I've been trying to research the best & most affordable way for 2 adults to do this and have been getting conflicting answers.

2. Told NOT to take City bus as it's only every hour and drops you off at mile from Visitor Center.

4. Told that if I'm paying $90 for a shuttle bus, i'd come out cheaper renting a car and then I can do things on my own schedule.

5. Told renting a car would be a pain in the butt just for driving to Mendenhall and that I should just take a taxi.

6. I asked about cost of taxi and was told that it was $45. Then someone else said, nope, closer to $60.

At this point I'm really wishing I could just Uber. $90 for a shuttle bus that goes 10 miles seems outrageous to me. I'd rather grab a local, give them $25 and have them drop us off.

Has anyone done this trip to Mendenhall from pier? Any tips or advice? I'll be on RCCL Explorer of the Seas next month.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

If you do take the 45.00 per person shuttle, it does include the 7.00 entrance fee. If you have a National Park Pass, you can use that to get in. If you rent a car, you could drive around and see other things. Not sure how close the rental car place is to the docks.

I'm pretty sure that the shuttle bus that includes the Mendenhall entrance fee is round trip, not each way. We rented a car our last time in Juneau. We'll be there again in a few weeks and will get another car. We are renting from Juneau Car Rental which has their pickup location near the AJ dock. If you're docking at AJ it will be about a 5-10 minute walk. The other docks would be about a 15-20 minute walk from Juneau Car Rental. We have a midsize car for the day at $67.85 grand total - I booked it in May *LAST YEAR*. So if you have at least two people wanting to go to Mendenhall you'd be about break even with the shuttle. Three or more, you're way ahead including entrance fees for the glacier. The little bit of pain in the butt to get the car will pay off with having the ability to do a little more looking around freely. We parked right down town under the library (a parking garage) and the best I can remember it was free - you can shop from there. For me the rental car is the best solution.

Both of the bus brands that I found to book to the Glacier were $45 a person round trip. We have a bigger group so I’m not sure if renting if at all cost effective. I haven’t looked at that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm pretty sure that the shuttle bus that includes the Mendenhall entrance fee is round trip, not each way. We rented a car our last time in Juneau. We'll be there again in a few weeks and will get another car. We are renting from Juneau Car Rental which has their pickup location near the AJ dock. If you're docking at AJ it will be about a 5-10 minute walk. The other docks would be about a 15-20 minute walk from Juneau Car Rental. We have a midsize car for the day at $67.85 grand total - I booked it in May *LAST YEAR*. So if you have at least two people wanting to go to Mendenhall you'd be about break even with the shuttle. Three or more, you're way ahead including entrance fees for the glacier. The little bit of pain in the butt to get the car will pay off with having the ability to do a little more looking around freely. We parked right down town under the library (a parking garage) and the best I can remember it was free - you can shop from there. For me the rental car is the best solution.

We have also rented a car so we can do more than just Mendenhall and can do it on our schedule.

The attached link has info on the various ways of getting to Mendenhall. Call the cab companies and ask them directly for the price. Add in the park fee. The city bus is a long drive and drops you a mile from the Visitor Center (unpleasant in a downpour).

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=stelprdb5400800

If you have 8 hrs in port, a car would be the best use of your time. You only need a few hours for Mendenhall which is only a 20 minute drive from the pier. After Mendenhall you could drive to the coast and visit Shrine of St Therese, Eagle Beach, or drive to Roads End. The attached map also has distance info. Even if you drive to Roads End, it's only about 40 miles.

However at this late date it may be difficult to find a car.

https://www.traveljuneau.com/plan-your-trip/maps-and-travel-tools/viewable/

Avis just moved. They are near the AJ dock also. We have a mid-size sedan reserved for $114.00 all day taxes included.

There are 4 of us so that is much cheaper than taking the shuttle to Mendenhall, plus we can go wherever we want to after that.

Avis just moved. They are near the AJ dock also. We have a mid-size sedan reserved for $114.00 all day taxes included.

There are 4 of us so that is much cheaper than taking the shuttle to Mendenhall, plus we can go wherever we want to after that.

The sooner you book the better rate you get. We booked a full size impala or similar for $79 including taxes, but booked it in August for this June.

The sooner you book the better rate you get. We booked a full size impala or similar for $79 including taxes, but booked it in August for this June.

I am so glad we found this Thread! We have booked through Juneau Car Rental for a full size @ $79.35, WAAAY cheaper than the bus, plus less walking for these 4 older folks. ;) They sent along with the confirmation an area map and things to see. Comparing ship excursion rates just for Mendenhall Glacier to the car rental - it's just a no brainer. And we are not herded around (which sometimes that is not a bad thing!)

SuperCrewBear - you have given us some great advice for Juneau and Sitka. We are on the Eurodam the week of May 12. If you're on the same ship, same dates, we owe you at least a beer or two?

Edited by CM1984
Typos