Internet reception on QM2 transatlantic

Josie8

Oh, yeah - that reminds me. On an Android (and probably iOS) device you have to turn off automatic app updates, automatic photo backup (for each photo service you might be using), automatic podcast downloads, etc, etc.

If you don't, the first few minutes of any connection will find your device nearly responsive and the automatic traffic in both directions swamps the bandwidth that's allocated to your connection. Although the recent increase in satellite bandwidth might improve this situation.

• 4 weeks later...

While I personally love the idea of a wonderful full week of being totally disconnected electronically from the outside world, I'm very cognizant that for some that is simply not practical.

My wish is for the wifi to be so incredibly solid that folks who require a reliable wifi for work-related reasons can complete those tasks so quickly that they have more time to spend enjoying all that a TA has to offer. And my wish is for the wifi to be so incredibly solid that folks who need to keep in touch with family/friends (especially when children/dependents are staying with relatives/friends, or family/friends are not well) can most effectively utilize app-based telephone communication.

BUT, my wish is also that somehow the wifi is miraculously non-existent for folks who are tempted to talk really loud on their cell phone (worse yet...on speaker) while they walk around or lounge in any public space onboard.

You can see why I have mixed feelings when hearing that the wifi on QM2 is so-so.

• Like 1

I've just become aware of the Carnival Corp. Initiative to install the "OCEAN Medallion" technology on their Princess ships, and eventually, on all of their lines. Who knows how long it will take (and I might expect Cunard to be one of the last with the technology), but I think it will eventually get it. Here are clips from 2 Cruise Critic articles. 

What else is part of the MedallionClass experience?

Another piece of the larger MedallionClass Experience is MedallionNet, a high-speed internet system that has been designed to withstand inclement weather and maintain service even in areas of spotty connectivity. It's strong enough for streaming TV; you can even teleconference using the Wi-Fi without any issues.

And from a separate Cruise Critic interview with Donald Arnold, Carnival CEO - 

"It's fantastic, but it's different. However, many people think it's super cool; we must make sure this resonates with Princess Cruises' guests before we roll it across the fleet.

"We still have passengers on some of our brands who would rather not be connected, and we have to respect that too."

My wish would be to have great internet connection in the cabins and in ConneXions, but to totally block reception in all the public areas, especially in the Kings Court theater and Illuminations theater during shows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe my experience has differed to that of others, but I really didn't find the connection that bad on my last TA back in May. It was quick enough to do voice calls via FaceTime and WhatsApp and more than quick enough for email / browsing. Part of the good thing of travelling on a ship is limited internet access for me (I work as a software engineer, I'm pretty much always available these days between Slack, email etc - I find it a great way to switch off).

On the subject of no connections in public areas - I quite like being sat at the bar in the Golden Lion catching up on emails / news whilst my wife is at watercolour class!

Did a TA in June and July 2019, reception good in public areas, somewhat poor at times in the room. The system sometimes shuts down (which is normal for a ship) and will steal your minutes, just ask the attendent in Connextions and they will look into it and restore your time.  Telegram was blocked but Skype was working.

There are lots of threads regarding internet on Cunard.  Do a search.  It's about the worst internet on the high seas, of any major cruise line.  The service is poor, slow, expensive, and can be intermittent.  More than once it has froze up and I could not even log off.  Most other lines have invested in faster internet, cheaper internet, and unlimited internet with various speed options.  Not Cunard.  Still on the archaic pay per minute internet use where you have to painstakingly log in and out with each use, and watch those minutes tick away with frustratingly slow speeds.  

Technology is not a strong point with Cunard.  Besides the archaic internet, there are no interactive TV's, no flat panel info screens around the ship, and no smartphone app.    

1 hour ago, eroller said:

Most other lines have invested in faster internet, cheaper internet, and unlimited internet with various speed options.  Not Cunard.  

I'm not sure whether you've been aboard recently but my personal assessment is that they did something between December 2018 and June 2019 to significantly improve satellite bandwidth.

FB_IMG_1566704880314.jpg.82a906c84da0b0be70aead9298336819.jpg

Your other comments are accurate.

Edited by Underwatr

8 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

I'm not sure whether you've been aboard recently but my personal assessment is that they did something between December 2018 and June 2019 to significantly improve satellite bandwidth.

Your other comments are accurate.

If this is true fantastic.  My last time onboard QM2 was Nov 2018.  I look forward to experiencing improved internet speeds my next time onboard.  Now if they would only revamp the internet plans and upgrade the rest of the technology.  

2 hours ago, Underwatr said:

I updated my post above with a Speedtest screenshot.

WiFi in public spaces was reliable throughout the day, but I had connectivity problems in a Deck 4 stateroom - didn't have an issue in a Deck 5 stateroom on the Eastbound.

Thanks.  The connectivity issues in the stateroom might just be the placement of the WiFi hotspots in the corridors.  Or one might have been down.  

I am self-employed and need the internet to keep in touch with my staff and clients. If I could just get one solid hour a day with a good connection I could take care of business and spend the rest of my time enjoying the wonderful ship and chatting with people I meet onboard.  Sad to report I usually spend an hour trying to get onto the internet, and then an hour in connecxions trying to get my time back as the internet dropped out and left me logged in until my minutes ran out. 

I've done 6 crossings in 11 years. I would do more except for the internet issue.  There are some crossings that look great, but I know my clients will have a problem with me being incommunicado the week they're trying to close their books.  My staff is great and can usually handle the issues. But my client want to hear from me. That's why I get paid.  No clients - no money for crossings.

I just give up and call my office on my cell phone from the ship. They read me my emails and I dictate responses.  It's very slow and I get a $400 phone bill.  Hey Cunard - I would pay $400 for a solid internet connection. 

Edited by Q-step

20 minutes ago, Q-step said:

I am self-employed and need the internet to keep in touch with my staff and clients. If I could just get one solid hour a day with a good connection I could take care of business and spend the rest of my time enjoying the wonderful ship and chatting with people I meet onboard.  Sad to report I usually spend an hour trying to get onto the internet, and then an hour in connecxions trying to get my time back as the internet dropped out and left me logged in until my minutes ran out. 

I've done 6 crossings in 11 years. I would do more except for the internet issue.  There are some crossings that look great, but I know my clients will have a problem with me being incommunicado the week they're trying to close their books.  My staff is great and can usually handle the issues. But my client want to hear from me. That's why I get paid.  No clients - no money for crossings.

I can understand your frustration.  This is the exact reason my brother is hesitant to sail on QM2 even though he loves the ship.  He is also self employed as a software developer and needs a decent internet connection.  So far he hasn't been able to get that on Cunard but does on many other cruise lines.  Royal Caribbean is probably the best with VOOM, but pretty much all are superior to Cunard, especially with their per-minute charges for a lousy connection.  I'm hoping it has improved as Underwatr has reported.    

Q-Step:  I feel your pain.  The poor quality internet has become a sales and marketing issue for Cunard, sadly.  

We are back on board for a Sept. 15 crossing and I hope the internet has improved over what the dismal state that we experienced on the Victoria in February.  I have lowered my expectations.

I've been thinking about this issue and our own recent experience.  This past spring we crossed the Pacific on the Queen Victoria and suffered through terrible internet performance.  Absurd experience such as hanging out in the hallway with a neighbor, pointing our laptops at the router, trying desperately to either log on or log off.  Then we crossed back on the HAL Noordam and it was different.  My husband bought a special package, a bit more expensive than the basic internet, that allow for streaming.  We shared the package and never had a problem using the internet in our stateroom or in public areas, regardless of the time of day.  I admit that it was not as speedy as what one finds in a hotel on land, or at home, but still it was acceptable.  And this was on a line that is part of the Carnival Corp. empire, just like Cunard.  So bad service does not have to happen.

I had posted earlier in this thread re: Carnival Corporation's O. C. E. A. N. (one cruise experience access network) endeavour. It's on Princess now, but (as the press releases say) will eventually be on all of their lines. I was hoping someone might have had experienced it first hand and chimed in here. It sounds quite speedy, with an access point in every cabin. 

It was o.k. on our Westbound crossing on Aug 11th - 18th. I only used it for social media but DH was uploading photos and text to his website. There were only certain moments when it was really slow. Reception on Deck 4 aft in the cabin was no problem.

steamboats