MSC Armenia crashes into dock

AD5ZA

Seems the best skippers are the ones on this forum again 😏

As you can see in the video, they fully knew that they were having a situation as both anchors were dropped to increase drag. Bow thrusters were deployed but are not very effective with forward/backward speed.

No bridge officer will purpously endanger the vessel like this. It is obvious they were dealing with either a failure and/or a severe wind component, but wind is something that should be calculated-in before approach.

Wind does seem quite strong in the video.

Seems the best skippers are the ones on this forum again [emoji57]

As you can see in the video, they fully knew that they were having a situation as both anchors were dropped to increase drag. Bow thrusters were deployed but are not very effective with forward/backward speed.

No bridge officer will purpously endanger the vessel like this. It is obvious they were dealing with either a failure and/or a severe wind component, but wind is something that should be calculated-in before approach.

Wind does seem quite strong in the video.

Yes feel sorry for the Officers. A no win situation. Had to be mechanical problem seems like.

Westerdam docked 10 hours late in Vancouver yesterday do to wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It was the bow thruster going at high speed to try and turn the ship in addition to the anchor deployed and main engines most likely full astern. The water churning had nothing to do with the anchor itself.

In these emergency situations the bow thrusters are used to help turn even though using them while the ship has forward motion can damage them.

There is nothing to damage a bow thruster from a ship moving forward (or aft for that matter). What does happen is that the thruster loses almost all effectiveness due to cavitation.

Bye, bye captain...

Why don’t you say “bye bye “yourself instead of critisizing when you obviously have no clue what you are talking about...

Maybe the Crew made errors, well, let me explain you something: we ALL do. Every time we go to work, every sailing, every flight, every operation. We are humans, and error is inevitable. How we recognize these errors, solve the situation and learn from them makes us Professional.

Why don’t you say “bye bye “yourself instead of critisizing when you obviously have no clue what you are talking about...

Maybe the Crew made errors, well, let me explain you something: we ALL do. Every time we go to work, every sailing, every flight, every operation. We are humans, and error is inevitable. How we recognize these errors, solve the situation and learn from them makes us Professional.

I agree with you..... let’s feel bad for them

Instead....and move forward...... thinking lot of the topics were all post so negative.

Were all able to go home at night to our loved ones, the crews on these ships don’t get too for months, and work work

I agree with you..... let’s feel bad for them

Instead....and move forward...... thinking lot of the topics were all post so negative.

Were all able to go home at night to our loved ones, the crews on these ships don’t get too for months, and work work

Feel sorry, too, for those aboard the Liberty of the Seas and the Getaway who aren't

getting off this week on the dock that isn't there anymore.