MITSUGIRLY has a JEWEL of a time on my 1st RC cruise in years!

Off to that was a small kitchenette with a small fridge, sink, and microwave.

P4082399%20copy-L.jpg

Straight off the living room is a separate bedroom and it was really big.

P4082402%20copy-L.jpg

A closet with extra linens and a small safe and a dresser with a tv that would swivel toward the direction of the bed.

P4082403%20copy-L.jpg

Looking down from the bedroom window. lol

P4082404%20copy-L.jpg

P4082405%20copy-L.jpg

Off of the bedroom was the bathroom.

P4082406%20copy-L.jpg

Everything was really nice.

P4082407%20copy-L.jpg

A super nice and very big shower. I'm not sure if you can tell or not...but the floor of the shower was stones. I have seen this trend before in homes but honestly, I'm not too sure I'm digging the way it felt on my tired feet. LOL Nothing against those that may have it, it just wasn't for me.

P4082409%20copy-L.jpg

P4082410%20copy-L.jpg

Looking into the bedroom from the bathroom.

P4082411%20copy-L.jpg

P4082412%20copy-L.jpg

Our view

P4082416%20copy-L.jpg

P4082513%20copy-L.jpg

This place was just awesome. The space was nice and big in each room, it had everything we needed, the bathroom was awesome, the separate bedroom was great, the sofa pulled out into a bed (which actually wasn't hard as a rock with a thin mattress like most), I loved the little work area for my homework, and ceiling fans everywhere. Most of all...the a/c worked and worked great!

This is definitely a place I could actually spend the entire week in and have no problem with it. I would highly recommend this place! I hope to come back and stay here again.

So let's take a look upstairs on the roof top. Yes, there's an elevator in this place!!

A nice big outdoor couch to relax on (and yes, I would do just that at night).

P4082423%20copy-L.jpg

Lots of bushes and flowers to make it feel nice up here. I only wished that they had some umbrellas for the tables.

P4082424%20copy-L.jpg

It looks to have a sink and area for cooking.

P4082422%20copy-L.jpg

This was our view of the church out front.

P4082426%20copy-L.jpg

Leading back toward the elevators. There was plenty of seating everywhere up there (and no mold on the cushions!)

P4082433%20copy-L.jpg

On the other side.

P4082427%20copy-L.jpg

And the other way. (It looks like some of the places had their own balconies if you look at both the picture above and below).

P4082429%20copy-L.jpg

Looking down, our room was right there on the end.

P4082434%20copy-L.jpg

So let's go inside now and check it out.

Here's the hallways leading to the rooms.

P4082435%20copy-L.jpg

Stairway if you don't want to take the elevator.

P4082436%20copy-L.jpg

P4082440%20copy-L.jpg

P4082438%20copy-L.jpg

This is right outside the lobby area. They have a refrigerator to store stuff in (which I'm not sure what for since you have one in your room) but it said to not take something that belonged to someone else. They also have a coffee maker here as well.

P4082441%20copy-L.jpg

Now it's hard to explain this place. There's the small lobby when you first walk in and then you open the door and you are at the area from the picture above. It felt kinda hot in there. Then I discovered why...this area was off to the side and it had an open roof. There were chairs and plants and a huge ceiling fan.

P4082442%20copy-L.jpg

Here's a picture looking down from our room to the area above.

P4082503%20copy-L.jpg

P4082506%20copy-L.jpg

Here it is in the evening with the lights on. It even had floor lights. It's a pretty neat area.

IMG_4017%20copy-L.jpg

They do have a restaurant on site. I never did see anyone eating in it. It does have the large doors/windows that open up to outside, so it is hot in there.

P4082443%20copy-L.jpg

This is the "CanterKitty". He kinda either hangs outside, in the lobby or in the open area inside. He was usually sleeping on the outdoor sofa in that area...or trying to follow me into the elevator to upstairs at any given moment.

IMG_4019%20copy-L.jpg

And last but not least...what you will pay for a place like this (at least when we went).

P4112845%20copy-L.jpg

Our place was called a French Balcony Suite. It also had a door right beside our door to come in that would allow you to open it up to an adjoining room if you had others staying with you. I thought that was great, especially with this layout.

Once we were settled in and had checked out our wonderful room, we were all pretty hungry and decided to head out and find some lunch.

P4082444%20copy-L.jpg

We walked down the street and around the corner.

Sakari absolutely LOVES Subway and she begged to go here for lunch. It's not really my idea of experiencing new things when we are away, but I was too hot, tired and hungry to fight her on it and it was very close.

P4082445%20copy-L.jpg

We tried to order and they were out of everything I would try to pick, from the bread I wanted, to bacon and so on. So I got what I could and finally we were getting our bellies full. This building was open to an ice cream place next door too.

P4082446%20copy-L.jpg

Outside, there was another park. Sakari decided to call this pigeon park #2.

P4082447%20copy-L.jpg

There was a man selling popcorn and cotton candy.

P4082448%20copy-L.jpg

P4082450%20copy-L.jpg

Right next door was a local grocery store. We went in to check it out and see if they had pop there. They did and we decided after we explored a little more, we would come back and grab some to take to our hotel.

P4082451%20copy-L.jpg

We did a little shopping along the way to...where ever it was that we were walking to.

P4082453%20copy-L.jpg

Hey, I remember this little park with the fountains the last time we were here.

P4082455%20copy-L.jpg

P4082456%20copy-L.jpg

P4082458%20copy-L.jpg

The hubby found a huge cigar store. I mean it was HUGE and had a really big walk in humidor, smoke room and the absolute most comfortable couch I think I have ever sat on. The owner obviously had a comfortable office chair because he was sitting in the middle of the store sleeping in it.

P4082452%20copy-L.jpg

On our way back, we decided not to back track the way we had came and to go down below and walk that way. We hadn't really seen what was down there last time and there was a lot to see.

P4082486%20copy-L.jpg

I didn't want to leave daddy out...

P4082485%20copy-L.jpg

P4082487%20copy-L.jpg

P4082488%20copy-L.jpg

P4082489%20copy-L.jpg

P4082490%20copy-L.jpg

P4082497%20copy-L.jpg

P4082498%20copy-L.jpg

I tell ya, Old San Juan is a photographers paradise. There's just so many neat places for pictures.

There's a store that we always seem to go to (both this time and last). It's very small and very loaded with stuff all over the place that you can barely get around inside. But, it seems to be our local "pop stop".

P4082500%20copy-L.jpg

P4082499%20copy-L.jpg

Well looky there...it's DA HOUSE!

P4082502%20copy-L.jpg

We made it back to the hotel and I decided it was time for a shower. I was hot and sticky.

Well...that nice beautiful shower wasn't so nice and beautiful once I got in it. You just couldn't regulate the water temperature. It was scalding hot and you would barely turn it cooler and it was ice cold. It's a good thing I was extremely hot and could tolerate the cold shower at that point.

I did a little homework and then we went up on the rooftop to watch the sunset and the ships pull out.

IMG_3990%20copy-L.jpg

It was very relaxing, the heat was tolerable, and there was a nice breeze now.

I was really enjoying this couch up here.

IMG_3991%20copy-L.jpg

Then we decided it was time to find some dinner. I really wanted to go back to the place we went to prior to the cruise to get some more fish tacos. The hubs had a different plan. He wanted pizza. I figured we still had a few more days in OSJ, so there was still time for my fish tacos.

We had seen a pizza place when we were walking around earlier in the day and he wanted to go there. Only...we couldn't find it. We tried looking on our phones for a pizza place. We found one and started walking that way.

There was a line outside. This place must be good.

P4082514%20copy-L.jpg

We gave them our name and they ask for a phone number and told us they would text us when our seats were ready. How cool was that?!

We decided to do a little shopping in the area while we waited.

Then my phone received a text. Even though they said it was a 30 minute wait, it only ended up being 10 minutes.

We were seated and it was FREEZING in there!

P4082515%20copy-L.jpg

IMG_3992%20copy-L.jpg

We placed our order and continued to freeze. Like seriously...it was so cold in here I might as well been back in Ohio where it as snowing.

Those darn vents pointed directly at us

P4082516%20copy-L.jpg

Our pizza came and it was good.

P4082517%20copy-L.jpg

P4082518%20copy-L.jpg

On our way back to the hotel, we checked out the location of where I wanted to eat breakfast at the following day. Then we headed over to the grocery store to find out that it closed at 8pm. Darnit!! We just couldn't do without our pop for the night so back to the same corner crammed store we went in order to get something to tie us over until the following day. They did have 12 packs in the refrigerator, but they were not willing to sell them to us. I ended up with a 2 liter for $4.75 and a throw away bottle for $2.75 for the hubs.

On the way walking back to the hotel. This place was lit up pretty.

P4082519%20copy-L.jpg

We made it back to the hotel and I decided I didn't even want pop. It was time to relax with some wine up on the rooftop.

P4082521%20copy-L.jpg

We sat out there for quite some time and tried to look up the hours of the skateshop my hubby had been trying to visit since our last cruise. We did stop by there once today, but they weren't open. Then we started looking up just how popular the skate scene is in Puerto Rico and where all the skate parks were. There are a lot!

Sakari didn't want to come to the rooftop to hang out and decided to stay in the room and draw and watch t.v.

Today's picture would be courtesy of her thoughts from pigeon park.

P4112850%20copy-L.jpg

It was getting late, so I decided to check in with Kolin to see if Loki and the fish were still ok. He assured me that they were and ask me when I'd be home. I let him know we'd be there Wednesday, so only a few more days of fighting with trying to get the dog in that didn't like him.

Here's our clown fish Bobo and Gizmo in another tank.

21686809_10155949356273706_1713933858673072340_o-L.jpg

full%20tank-L.jpg

I did a little more studying for a test I had coming up and then it was time for bed. Then I discovered there was no toilet paper. I checked all the supplies and nothing. Nada. No extras. I thought this was weird that they didn't keep extras in the drawers in the bathroom like everything else they had in there.

I headed down to the front desk and he went up to the supply closet and grabbed me another and said he'd let housekeeping know to leave some extras the following day.

Then off to bed we went....Zzz

You finally hit up the MDR for the fabulous Tutti Salad Bar! One of our absolute favorite things on the ship. It looks like the Jewel's is more like the one on Freedom, unlike the super small one they have on Anthem that is somewhat of a disappointment.

The chicken sliders are made from ground chicken and grilled like a hamburger. I'm sure you were thinking that they were probably going to be small fried chicken patties or something like that. We've learned to skip that one since neither of my boys like ground chicken burgers!

Looking forward to reading about your final days in PR.

Oh, and since today is National Nurses Day, a big THANK YOU to you for all that you do for your patients every day!!!!

ETA: Just saw the pictures from Pigeon Park. It's obvious that Sakari is a bird whisperer too, but I have to say, having grown up in NYC with lots and lots of pigeons, this one is something I'd be fine missing. To me, pigeons are gross, dirty birds and I just hate them. I'm glad she enjoys them and it appears that they really liked her too. But for me, nope!

I had never heard of the "Tutti Salad Bar" but it was great! Is this something they have on all RC ships and every day in the MDR?

Yea, me no likely the ground chicken burgers. yucky

Thank you so much for the happy nurses day. I appreciate it.

Yea, we have tons of pigeons around here as well and I usually find them dirty and disgusting and poop all over everything. But, you can't get close to any of them, or feed them, or have them fly to your arm, so it's a different experience for Sakari when we come here, so I just let it happen. LOL We have a particular area around here that used to be a shopping strip mall and a BUNCH of them hang out there. I'm always sending Sakari pictures of them when I pass by and telling her "we have our very own pigeon park here too" :')

I had never heard of the "Tutti Salad Bar" but it was great! Is this something they have on all RC ships and every day in the MDR?

:')

The Tutti Salad Bar is on every Royal Caribbean ship I have been on and it is available on sea days. It's one of my fav lunches. I have totally enjoyed your review and we will be cruising soon on Allure going to St Maarten and San Juan. It is so sad to see the damage to St Maarten as last year we did an island tour and it was beautiful.

My family wanted to go to the forts last year when we were in San Juan, but it was pouring and I do mean pouring, so we ended up staying on the ship. Our stay in San Juan is very short so by the time it cleared enough to leave the ship, we wouldn't have had enough time to get to the forts and back. Hopefully, this year will be better.

I had never heard of the "Tutti Salad Bar" but it was great! Is this something they have on all RC ships and every day in the MDR? ...

Every lunch in the MDR, which is usually only on sea days.

Well, we made it to the statues that we seen last time we were here...only you couldn't get to them. I had to zoom in on it to see it.

P4082375%20copy-L.jpg

There must have been some damage from the hurricane in this area. It leads along the water way and it was an area I wanted to revisit again because there are huge trees and a lot of shade and just so pretty.

P4082376%20copy-L.jpg

I'm still following along and enjoying your review. I love Old San Juan and hoping to get another cruise out of there soon and spend some extra time. I'd even love a week vacation in Puerto Rico, there is just so much to see and do.

Believe it or not, this damage wasn't from the hurricane. It was actually from the nor'easter (the first of several) that hit the east coast in early March. Even though the storm was nowhere near Puerto Rico, it affected the surf and that's what caused all the damage along Paseo de la Princessa . Attaching a link from our newspaper about the storms with video of the waves and pictures of the huge waves crashing over the Paseo de la Princessa walkway...unbelievable.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2018/03/05/the-noreaster-was-so-big-its-waves-reached-puerto-rico-and-the-result-was-not-good/?utm_term=.014ab90bf894

I've been following your reviews for quite a while and LOVE them! Thank you for all the work you put into them. We went to Little French Key based on your reviews and it has been our favorite so far!

We cruise once a year and love to snorkel. I wanted to buy our own gear and since you are an avid snorkeler I'm curious what you think about the full face snorkel mask? Any input you can offer? Thanks!

We pulled out at 8:39am and we were winding around in town and they stopped to let some people off at The Boatyard. Wait, Pirates Cove is closer than the Boatyard! What's going on? Did the driver not hear me? I yelled up "hey, we are going to Pirates Cove" but didn't get a reply.

P4051621%20copy-L.jpg

He drove some more and let everyone else off at Harbour Lights. I once again yelled up to let him know where we were going and he finally acknowledged and said "you're next". Well of course we are because we are the only one's left in the taxi.

We arrived at 8:50am. So even though it wasn't a long ride (11 minutes stopping 3 different places), it was still weird that we was the closest to the port and we were last to be dropped off. Maybe it has something to do with the way the roads are designed? Either way, I didn't mind. I was just worried he hadn't heard where we were going

Yes the road that Pirate's Cove is on is one way only, so you have to go all the way around then come down that street. That's why you were the last stop.

The Tutti Salad Bar is on every Royal Caribbean ship I have been on and it is available on sea days. It's one of my fav lunches. I have totally enjoyed your review and we will be cruising soon on Allure going to St Maarten and San Juan. It is so sad to see the damage to St Maarten as last year we did an island tour and it was beautiful.

My family wanted to go to the forts last year when we were in San Juan, but it was pouring and I do mean pouring, so we ended up staying on the ship. Our stay in San Juan is very short so by the time it cleared enough to leave the ship, we wouldn't have had enough time to get to the forts and back. Hopefully, this year will be better.

Thanks for the info. I could go there just for the salad bar and be perfectly happy with it.

We went to El Morro this time and that review is coming right up.

Every lunch in the MDR, which is usually only on sea days.

Good to know. Thanks

I'm still following along and enjoying your review. I love Old San Juan and hoping to get another cruise out of there soon and spend some extra time. I'd even love a week vacation in Puerto Rico, there is just so much to see and do.

Believe it or not, this damage wasn't from the hurricane. It was actually from the nor'easter (the first of several) that hit the east coast in early March. Even though the storm was nowhere near Puerto Rico, it affected the surf and that's what caused all the damage along Paseo de la Princessa . Attaching a link from our newspaper about the storms with video of the waves and pictures of the huge waves crashing over the Paseo de la Princessa walkway...unbelievable.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2018/03/05/the-noreaster-was-so-big-its-waves-reached-puerto-rico-and-the-result-was-not-good/?utm_term=.014ab90bf894

I agree with you. I'd love to go just to stay for a week and see everything. After this cruise, I feel like I've done everything I wanted in OSJ and would like to adventure out to other areas next time.

Thanks for the info on the damage. Those waves were crazy. Hopefully they'll get it repaired soon. It's just a lovely place to walk.

I've been following your reviews for quite a while and LOVE them! Thank you for all the work you put into them. We went to Little French Key based on your reviews and it has been our favorite so far!

We cruise once a year and love to snorkel. I wanted to buy our own gear and since you are an avid snorkeler I'm curious what you think about the full face snorkel mask? Any input you can offer? Thanks!

Thanks and I appreciate the comments. Glad you enjoyed Little French Key. It's such a paradise there.

Ugh, the dreaded full face snorkel mask question. This has came up several times and I can only report my experience and research. So, here goes...

I tried it out at Sakari's dive place. I did NOT like it at all. It felt weird and so did the breathing. Several times I had my face down, as you would when looking down and snorkeling, and all of a sudden I couldn't breathe. I jumped up out of the water. Tried it again and after awhile it happened again. It was like I was trying to breathe in and not getting any air. It was a weird panic like feeling for me. I finally discovered that the snorkel part was touching the water or going under when I put my head down at that angle. Maybe because the snorkel is part of the part and hard plastic and the angle that it is shaped? I didn't care for it.

Next...my research. I found several articles over the last year or so that gave me concern.

HERE's one of them. (click)

HERE's another with a video. (click)

Another person on another forum gave a description of what happened to them: "As a Scuba Diver I a;ways try new equipment......there are pros and cons with this mask. People have actually died with this mask and my wife almost did and here is why.... when your a young person you actually take in less air into your lungs even in a panic situation. Young people can use this mask and enjoy it with tons of viewing around them..Now with the problem with the design.....The little ball that goes up and down in that snorkel allows you to intake when needed under normal circumstances....however in a older person experienced and non experience snorkelers that get to tired or have a panic attack when they see something that scares them or waves hit them into a reef----you start to breathe harder and you can't get the air you need to continue...you rip off that mask and when your over your head and waves are hitting you..people drown." This person went on to say they had to save their spouse from drowning due to this mask.

You can google until your little heart is content about this mask and see different stories. I don't really trust them after everything I have read and experienced myself.

Yes the road that Pirate's Cove is on is one way only, so you have to go all the way around then come down that street. That's why you were the last stop.

I figured it would be something like that. I'll know next time.